Anniversary Telecaster

rapfohl09

Hey everyone!! This is a mahogany/flamed maple telecaster that my girlfriend got me for our anniversary  :). Over the past two years I've slowly taught her about my crazy obsession with guitars, and apparently she has been taking notes. Everything about this telecaster is perfect, and exactly what I had always envisioned for a telecaster project. I had no idea she got it for me, and didn't tell her anything specific like "if you get me a guitar make sure it has..." She's pretty good :laughing7: Anyways, this has been dubbed the Anniversary Project, as every year she's going to get me something else for it. I love the flamed maple, it has amazing figuring even without being wet. I hate to say it but I didn't get very many pictures before I packed it back up in it's box. In just a few weeks I'll be home for thanksgiving and will take more pictures/wet it and take more pictures.

Also, opinions on whether or not I should try to dye it or just leave it natural?

Really nice flame. I could argue both ways, it would look great natural, but it would also look great with a dye. Guess I'm not much of a help...

Dye it!
IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

God that's pretty! I think it would be easier to define the flame w/dye. But enough coats of clear will do it too.
I think I'd go with Super Turbo's comment and let your lady pick. Looks like she has your best interest in mind.

Thanks everyone :) I'm really leaning towards the dye too. A couple of questions though.

Does anyone have any experience with that frog tape? I hear that it makes bleeding of the dye basically non-existent.

In the event of a bleed through underneath the tape, do you just sand till its gone?

Tonar, could you send me a PM about how much you would charge to dye the top of this and shoot some clear? Thanks.

Wow, that could take awhile to put together if you only get one part per anniversary..... :doh:    But nice project..... :guitarplayer2:

DangerousR6 said:
Wow, that could take awhile to put together if you only get one part per anniversary..... :doh:    But nice project..... :guitarplayer2:

Haha yeah I know, it's driving me crazy already and I got the body yesterday :laughing7: Alas, the life of a poor college student :laughing7:

BTW Doug, I'll be in touch about a neck plate :icon_thumright:

Right now she is thinking about what color she would like it to be.

rapfohl09 said:
DangerousR6 said:

Haha yeah I know, it's driving me crazy already and I got the body yesterday :laughing7: Alas, the life of a poor college student :laughing7:

BTW Doug, I'll be in touch about a neck plate :icon_thumright:

Right now she is thinking about what color she would like it to be.
Cool deal, I'll be around.... :rock-on:

So we have been looking at a bunch of guitars today, and she has settled on an amber dye top, with natural masked binding. I'm confident in my dying abilities, but anyone have any tips on the masked binding? I know where to get the thin tape, but I'm still worried about the dye bleeding under the tape.

I'm also working on making it body+neck anniversary gifts and I get everything else :laughing7: I'm too pumped for this to take forever  :laughing7:

I'd ask tonar, or try the search function. I think someone did this a while ago, but I'm not sure.

Glad you went with the amber dye! It will look amazing!

Back