Anniversary Telecaster

A "retarder" slows down the finish cure/dry time so it can be worked longer, or will flow out better. Otherwise, depending on temperature, humidity, finish thickness, etc., a finish may set up too quickly. Lacquer is normally very fast as the reducer boils off so quickly, so without retarder under certain conditions it's almost like spraying dust. Stuff is drying on its way to the target.

Andreas, to retard is to slow. So, retarded kids have their development slowed  :icon_thumright:

where is your PC
we do not call them retarded any more
they are developmentally disabled
:cool01: :cool01: :cool01: :cool01: :cool01: :cool01:

Frickin PC is the downfall of this nation

Jusatele said:
where is your PC

Mentally challenged....
deedeedee.gif

Jusatele said:
where is your PC

I decided to fogo political correctness in favor of actual correctness  :icon_thumright:
They are mentally retarded. Perfectly acceptable scientifically, just... not as much to the mommies.

For those of you with "developmentally disabled" family members, I'm only using it as an example. The name has changed so much because of people not wanting to hear their children are not as capable as anyone else... but that's for a different discussion.

Max said:
Jusatele said:
where is your PC

I decided to fogo political correctness in favor of actual correctness  :icon_thumright:
They are mentally retarded. Perfectly acceptable scientifically, just... not as much to the mommies.

For those of you with "developmentally disabled" family members, I'm only using it as an example. The name has changed so much because of people not wanting to hear their children are not as capable as anyone else... but that's for a different discussion.

Bingo. Mentally retarded isn't incorrect, people just get bent when you say that.

mentally retarded means they are not up to the mental capacity of the norm
I am not being insensitive, it is a good explanation, Somewhere somebody took offense to that
and came up with the term mentally challenged consider that an insult. If you need to hide it then you are ashamed of it.
and that is what not calling it what it is does, makes those who have the problem ashamed of having it.
Political correctness is just a way of not having to deal with an issue, that is so wrong.
No one who denies what something is will deal with the issue,
And issuing a name to to cover up the truth is not dealing with the issue, but it is hiding the issue hoping it will go away.

I could be wrong, and it doesn't really matter anyway, but I suspect part of the push against calling someone "retarded" is simply that it's poor English. To retard is to hold back, and the mentally defective haven't been held back at all. They simply can't progress because their brains are defective. So, they haven't been "retarded". They just don't have the ability to progress, and never will. Is that a challenge? Sure. So, you could call them "mentally challenged". But, that's not very accurate, either. I can challenge my brother to convert a decimal value to octal, or dereference pointers, or calculate trajectories. He can't do it, but it's not because he's defective. Far from it.

Same with "mentally disabled". That's wrong, simply because it implies the defectives were "able" in the first place, which isn't true. I'm mentally disabled, and I belong to Mensa. But, I had a severe brain trauma, so now my short-term memory doesn't work worth a tinker's damn and the left side of my body is substantially less coordinated than it was. Both those abilities used to exist, and now they don't due to defects in my brain as a result of injury.

Putting cutesy names on things doesn't help anyone at all. Mental defectives have dysfunctional brains, and that's all there is to it. It's sad, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Max said:
Jusatele said:
where is your PC

I think "developmentally disabled" should be considered even more offensive since it kind of implies that not only am I slow, not only am I retarded, IM ¤%&'n DISABLED and defunced.  :D

Seems like an "ok" term has been replaced by a devil in disguise.

No im not retarded, well, i feel retarded sometimes when i play guitar but thats another story. ;)

Doughboy said:
You can also substitute mentally challenged with Gibson owner.  :laughing7:

Hey! I am a proud Gibson owner. Not only was it my first nice electric guitar, but I have NEVER played a guitar that plays better than it does. I will concede that I have not played a completed Warmoth yet, but that doesn't make my Gibson any less of an amazing guitar.

With that, let's be done with this long rambling. Ill post up some pictures when I get home next week for thanksgiving with the top wet down and of the back.

rapfohl09 said:
Doughboy said:

Hey! I am a proud Gibson owner. Not only was it my first nice electric guitar, but I have NEVER played a guitar that plays better than it does. I will concede that I have not played a completed Warmoth yet, but that doesn't make my Gibson any less of an amazing guitar.

With that, let's be done with this long rambling. Ill post up some pictures when I get home next week for thanksgiving with the top wet down and of the back.

I've played some amazing OLD Gibsons, when they used to take pride in their guitars & had a quality control dept that cared, but anything recent has been an embarassment to such a historic & beloved name. :dontknow:

Jusatele said:
well, that what happens when profits get more important than product

Indeed!!!!

Fender had the same problem, but somehow managed to pull out of their tailspin & get back to making quality instruments.

Doughboy said:
rapfohl09 said:
Doughboy said:

I've played some amazing OLD Gibsons, when they used to take pride in their guitars & had a quality control dept that cared, but anything recent has been an embarassment to such a historic & beloved name. :dontknow:

This I will agree with. I haven't played any of them lately, but the stuff they have been coming up with seems ridiculous.

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend has been looking around for a while now and has finally decided on a finish.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=pt1833&Body=2&Path=Body

If anyone knows how to take the pictures straight to the thread, please do, I don't know how :sad1:

:headbang:
pt1833C.jpg

Right click, copy image location....Use the image tag in post, right click in between image tag and paste.... :icon_thumright:

Back