An Evening with Trey Anastasio and the New York Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall

tfarny

Master Member
An Evening with Trey Anastasio
and the New York Philharmonic
at Carnegie Hall
Sep 12, one night only.
I'm just curious how many of you guys go in for this sort of thing. I've only ever seen the rock star + orchestra thing on youtube, I think it was Satriani or something, and it looked laughable. Might this one be worth checking out?

off topic - but Phish related, one of my favorite musicians is trying to learn to like Phish:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monitormix/2009/07/how_i_stopped_worrying_and_lea.html?ft=1&f=15710080
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monitormix/2009/07/phish_update_no_1.html?ft=1&f=15710080
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monitormix/2009/07/phish_update_no_2_early_though.html?ft=1&f=15710080

:laughing7:

Roll Over, Yanni, there's a new kid in town! :party07: This has become a standard-issue snothead rockstar cliche - Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Steve Vai, Yngwie! David Gilmour! Billy Joel (?) Oooh, I'm a composer.... I'm sure the classical musicians just wash off the stench, deposit the paycheck and move on when it's over.

Anything that employs musicians is a good thing - I don't have to listen to it.... :hello2: Anastasio wrote some bad horn charts for an Afropop experiment that sucked, so this'll probably be for the hardcore only. I like Brian Setzer's Orchestra; :icon_scratch:

Whoa, Carrie Brownstein has a column on NPR?  Cool!

Also, rock star + philharmonic orchestra is a good sign that said rock star is becoming a lame-ass self-centered jerkoff.  If you want to throw some strings in, just hire a string quartet.  Hiring 100 world-class classical musicians to play behind you while you is mainly a way to make yourself feel important.  I don't have anything against Trey but why is it that over-the-hill rock stars always think they're the reincarnation of Leonard Bernstein?

I do an awesome Trey Ansatasio impersonation.

I grab my guitar, stand behind my mic stand, get in position to play, and I jump up and down screaming "I AM A MUSIC MAJOR!!!!  I HAVE A DEGREE IN ORCHESTRAL COMPOSITION!!!  MY MUSIC IS SERIOUS AND I WORK VERY HARD AT IT!!!!  I AM A MUSIC MAJOR!!!!!"

That said, I've seen Phish many times and am a fan.  I get a little bored with them when it sounds like Trey is trying to show off his composition and music theory skills.  Complex, intelligent, well written, and tightly performed does not always equal something listenable.  Songs like Guyute or Divided Sky sound to me like Trey sat down with blank staff sheets and a pen, wrote it all out, before he ever grabbed a guitar to see how it all sounded.

And IMHO Trey sucks witout the rest of PHISH.

PHISH, particularly in the mid '90s, were the tightest and most adventurous band on earth.  As their juggernaut began to really take off, they started slipping.  And their albums arent that great.  Picture of Nectar, is good.  Billy Breathes is good , though I think I'm the only one who likes it.  Lawn boy, Rift, are good.  Story of the ghost, not so good.  And Round Room makes me wonder "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!". 

Anyway, i'd rather have a Root Canal, sans any painkillers, than see Trey without the rest of Phish.

I have seen several bands/guitarists with an orchestra, and the one that was most successful was YES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKfRqyXuU4

Vol. Knob said:
Anyway, i'd rather have a Root Canal, sans any painkillers, than see Trey without the rest of Phish.

Really?  I think I'd take the concert.  Maybe that's just me...

dbw said:
Vol. Knob said:

Really?  I think I'd take the concert.  Maybe that's just me...

With the concert you can always bring an iPod...

I had my wisdom teeth removed, including drilling, burning flesh, and cutting, with just local novacaine. In Korea. I think I would rather go to just about any concert than to any dentist for any reason, after that experience.

Markoooooo said:
I have seen several bands/guitarists with an orchestra, and the one that was most successful was YES!

I saw them too, with the Baltic Orchestra and that young dude on keyboards, in Stockholm a few years back. Unfortunately they didn't seem to check the sound for those up close to the stage - we didn't hear a note the orchestra played, but they seemed to have lots of fun! (I read later that the sound further back in the room was excellent)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monitormix/2009/07/phish_update_no_3_the_shopping.html -

Carrie buys Phish albums - video

Having seen Phish 6 or 7 times, and Trey by himself twice, I gotta say.... Trey by himself is like watching 1/4 of a band.  :)  He's good, but I think his ego's gotten a bit to big in the past 10 years.

As for orchestra stuff.  It's been overdone.  Yngwie, Vai, Metallica, etc, etc.... Eh.... it always sounds like a cool idea and ends up being cheesy.  Love Phish, but don't think I'll be making my way to see this.

Oh and..... btw.....  I don't know if you all remember my post a few months ago about whether or not I should take my three year old daughter to see Phish at Fenway Park.  No is still winning by a long shot.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7772.0

Well, for the record... she had a great time.  :)

If you want an awesome band/orchestra thing.  Go buy Celtic Frost's "Into the Pandemonium"  They did it first.  They did it the best.

taez555 said:
Well, for the record... she had a great time.  :)

Of course she did... the secondhand smoke at a Phish concert is plenty to get a five (?) year old high.  :doh:

Cute picture by the way :)

dbw said:
Of course she did... the secondhand smoke at a Phish concert is plenty to get a five (?) year old high.  :doh:

:)

Actually, Nitrous was all the rage at the show.  It was really very disturbing.  I only saw a few people smoking pot.  The scene has really gotten evil.

NY Phil free in Central Park: last night 200,000 crowd estimate and I believe it. Pics don't even show half the crowd. I never saw the musicians at all, and the sound was terrible, but the weather, wine, and conversation rocked.

There was a comedian some years back referring to Guns 'N Roses performing "November Rain" with an orchestra.  "Slash remembers his part, but apparently the guys in the Philharmonic need sheet music."

Back