An essential neck option.

Twanking45

I just received and installed a warmoth finished neck for my Strat. In the few days I've been playing it, a question has formed in my mind:

"What's a brothah got ta do to get a rolled fingerboard up in dis hizzy? For realz!"  :blob7:

It is really starting to bother me that the edges of the fingerboard cut into my hands so. It's actually uncomfortable just to carry it with one hand. How is the fantastic Fender rolled-edge fingerboard NOT an option, or even standard?

-Twank

From what I gather, many people don't have this kind of a problem with a warmoth neck. If rolled edges were a standard feature, the price of all warmoth necks would probably be higher, and that would hurt the people who didn't have that kind of a problem. Just visit a tech if it bothers you that much...

The million dollar question there is how much is just right?  I like a lot more of a roll on my necks.  More than some staff in the office.  Some like less.  I believe Warmoth entertained the idea in the past, but the question was just how much and how can you quantify 'feel'?  I can see customers calling in to return their necks because they want more of a roll or to get a return because they felt it was done too much.  Can-o-worms there.

Those final little tweaks are best done with the neck to tension and having been played by the owner.

I noticed what you are talking about with my first few builds,  And my reaction was about the same as yours.  But I have either gotten used to it or the edges have smoothed a bit from playen, I don't even notice it anymore.

A sanding sponge and about five minutes work during your next string change should do the trick.

Blue313 said:
A sanding sponge and about five minutes work during your next string change should do the trick.

Ok, I am gonna give it a try. But if I do, i'll need to refinish the sections where I sand lest moisture invade the maple. Any particular brand you would suggest for small-section refinishing???

-Twank

If you just kiss the sharp corner you shouldn't sand through the finish.  Just a few passes first, then try it.

If its a Warmoth (poly) finish then medium viscosity superglue should cover any sand through.  The thicker gel stuff tends to build up too much and needs more sanding back afterward, but still works.  Practice on something else first!

Hmm I'd try rolling it without sanding first.  That might get you enough of a radius.  I'd hate to have to try to repair a nice new Warmoth finish...

dbw said:
Hmm I'd try rolling it without sanding first.  That might get you enough of a radius.  I'd hate to have to try to repair a nice new Warmoth finish...

Rolling without sanding? Never heard of that before. This is a Warmoth clear satin finish and I am VERY weary about allowing moisture into the neck. My previous neck (a fender standard) warped fairly badly through excessive abuse and temperature change. I love satin finishes, love the warmoth neck, just want to feel that comfortable roll. could i apply a satin finish with a q-tip after i roll it with sanding sponge?

-Twank

He's talking about rolling the edges via compression.  A burnishing tool or even the shaft of something like a screwdriver run along the edge can slightly soften the corner.

IIRC Warmoth's satin finish is pre-cat nitro.  Sorry man, but I don't think I've had to touch up that kind of finish. I'm fairly sure that standard nitrocellulose lacquer isn't known to be compatible.

Hopefully some of our finishing guys will chime in and point you toward a proper finish type.

I have done a few guitars in "pre-cat."  I like it, but the thing is there are a number of pre-cat lacquers out there, so it's not like a great standard or anything.

I have been successful in repairing it with superglue in the past, but I would not want to do that down the length of a neck.

For smaller touch-ups, I don't think straight nitro would cause major problems, and probably would be easier to sand level, since it's softer than superglue.
At the same time, I would not recommend spraying a layer of nitro on top of a layer of pre-cat for an entire body.

Pre-cat will still dissolve with acetone, just not as fast.

James

i took my tremolo and rubbed it, with some force, against the bottom edge of the fingerboard. The roll is now much more comfortable. thanks for the advice.

Wyliee said:
The million dollar question there is how much is just right? 

I would hope that the standard could become "doesn't cut my hand when I play it."  I've bought a couple dozen Warmoth necks in my time, and perhaps one of every four was obnoxiously sharp.  I know that taste varies, etc, but sharp is sharp.  I don't know what the common denominator is (as I've had sharp edges on necks of every type; bass, standard thin, boatneck etc), but I suspect it's rushed work honestly.  I'd love to hear otherwise!

-Mark

I just posted up a link in the tips and tricks section. guitar repair guy in Indiana posted a great bunch of Youtube videos detailing a re-fret. he goes all the  way to showing you how to level and dress the frets and rolling the finger board. great camera work nice and close up so you can see what he is doing.

What's a brotha gotta do? whatch those videos and learn!!!

Brian

Back