Am I Crazy?

JaySwear

so the other day i was looking up wooden pickup rings for my new guitar. i love the look and the idea of pickup rings made of wood, and finally found my site.

anyway, so either because i'm very observant or because i'm some kind of ebay stalker i recognized a green LP that's been listed for several weeks, maybe months.

BUT the guitar on ebay has plastic rings and a plastic knob, and the guitar on www.pickuprings.com did not. am i crazy? can there be two guitars with almost the EXACT same top? i know laminated tops are thick, but i would think that after 3/4" or so the wood grain would be a little different. anyway, here are the pics. am i crazy?

from ebay:
WarmothsMarshall030.jpg

from www.pickuprings.com
WarmothPaul_ezr.jpg

i messaged the guy on ebay, but he told me the rings have always been plastic. i want to send him a link to this guitar and call him a liar  :icon_biggrin: maybe he's not the original owner? or maybe he's pulled the hardware and put it on a different guitar and doesn't want me to know.

i guess that explains it! the guy on ebay must not be the original owner.

but regardless of who owned it and when, this is one awesome looking guitar! i almost bought this instead of starting my own project.

i'm really not a fan of quilted maple, but wow.

Something is up with this guitar, then - the original owner specced it out then turned around and sold it right away, obviously whoever bought it is now reselling it again. The curse of the green quilt!

Said he was going to sell his JCM to pay for it and then had a change of heart after he bought it if I recall correctly.  That said, he put his flame maple bengal burst LP up on eBay too, so who knows.

Its remotely possible that its another lam top from the same blank, but that quilt is such a dead ringer for the other one.

I wonder if its the BS "It's not a REAL Lester" argument that got to the owners.

Definitely the same guitar.  I guess he figured it would sell better with standard hardware.

Yeah, no doubt that it is the same guitar, but I think the plastic hardware looks better than the wood stuff.  The color of the wood rings just doesn't look right against the green.

Sweet looking guitar, either way.

ognolman said:
Yeah, no doubt that it is the same guitar, but I think the plastic hardware looks better than the wood stuff.  The color of the wood rings just doesn't look right against the green.

Sweet looking guitar, either way.

yeah, i definitely agree. the creme looks much better than the wood rings. it looks like they randomly chose a type of wood and threw them on.

i was just so confused. i didn't know if it was possible to get a top to look EXACTLY the same as another. then the chances of having the body shape the same and dyed the same color are one in a million.

Regardless of the guitar in question...  when it comes to wooden pickup rings and wood pickup covers, Reed James Custom is the best.  http://www.reedjamescustom.com

I have a set of all Cocobolo pickups and rings on my les paul custom.  Solid Cocobolo, not laminate.  And this guitar is just a place holder for them. 

l_1d93a315692d4293a8a1641fc1eb1b87.jpg

Back