Aluminum

slashgnr88

Hey guys does anyone have any info on the Aluminum Finish that Warmoth is doing these days? I havent seen it on a showcase body and it doesnt seem to be on the standard finish page on the Warmoth webpage.

Is it supposed to look like this???

joe_satriani_1.jpg

Chrome Boy looks like a mirror. Not really aluminum.

As much as I love the finish, I wouldn't want a guitar with it. It would be impossible to ever keep clean. I can only imagine it would always be covered in fingerprints and such. :dontknow:

line6man said:
That's more like Inca Silver or whatever Fender calls it.

No - that was a Aluminum showcase body. I kept the URL for my own reference.

More: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=9040.msg233058#msg233058

I have a real aluminum guitar:

S6300142-2.jpg

Fender got 400 aluminum strat bodies and 100 tele bodies in 1993 from Spruce Hill Music in Minnesota (a music welding co., they do OEM dobros, amp chassis etc). There were an unknown few leftovers or "B's" - mine has some faint buffing streaks where some particles caught on the metal, it's irrelevant to function - but not "perfect." I put a USACG neck on it (sorry Warmoth, I needed a slightly smaller boat) and Lawrence PU's.

I maintain the finish by religiously ignoring it -
I think of it as "vintage smeary fingerprint" finish.
I cleaned it off once before I made it.... once. Sometime I wipe on it and smear it around a little but that way madness lies. Warmoth's imitation aluminum would be a lot easier - but isn't fingerfunk "mojo"? I lose track of guitarinalia details these days. :dontknow:

line6man said:
Chrome Boy looks like a mirror. Not really aluminum.

As much as I love the finish, I wouldn't want a guitar with it. It would be impossible to ever keep clean. I can only imagine it would always be covered in fingerprints and such. :dontknow:
Chrome Boy is just that, it's chrome plated Lucite... The finish would be murder to keep clean, but I'd still love to have a "real" chrome boy, but I haven't 10k to throw down on geetar... :dontknow:

StubHead said:

S6300142-2.jpg

That's a pretty rare beast. I've never seen one in real life, but the pictures have all been attractive. It's gotta be a bear to get those welded/ground/polished up nice.

So, does it have any redeeming qualities besides being attractive? Is it super-twangy or super-light or something?

Cagey said:
StubHead said:

S6300142-2.jpg

That's a pretty rare beast. I've never seen one in real life, but the pictures have all been attractive. It's gotta be a bear to get those welded/ground/polished up nice.

So, does it have any redeeming qualities besides being attractive? Is it super-twangy or super-light or something?
I've not seen the tele in person, but I have played one of the strat aluminum body's. Very nice sound, not any heavier than a standard strat, they're hollow, very few solid pieces in the body.

Attachments

• alum strat.JPG
    alum strat.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 607
SustainerPlayer said:
line6man said:

I didn't doubt you, I meant the finish resembles Inca Silver more than actual aluminum.

Ok, I've played one of these "aluminum" guitars as well as the acrylic guitars.

Here's the problem:  I think they sound horrible.

The aluminum is a great wall piece, but I can't play it, sorry.  The acrylic was so heavy I didn't bother to play it.

The guitar in that picture that is so called "aluminum" from warmoth does not look aluminum.  You can see the wood shape in the cavities.  Maybe it is some sort of aluminum paint??  :blob7:

Slylock Fox said:
Ok, I've played one of these "aluminum" guitars as well as the acrylic guitars.

Here's the problem:  I think they sound horrible.

The aluminum is a great wall piece, but I can't play it, sorry.  The acrylic was so heavy I didn't bother to play it.

The guitar in that picture that is so called "aluminum" from warmoth does not look aluminum.  You can see the wood shape in the cavities.  Maybe it is some sort of aluminum paint??  :blob7:
I think the aluminum of Warmoth in question is just the color of the paint...Not really any aluminum in the paint.. I think the op of the thread is just a bit mixed up about the word "aluminum"...

DangerousR6 said:
I haven't 10k to throw down on geetar... :dontknow:
:icon_scratch: Don't need 10K
http://www.glennalumguitars.com/Standard%20Alloy%20Tele/standard%20tele.htm

Updown said:
DangerousR6 said:
I haven't 10k to throw down on geetar... :dontknow:
:icon_scratch: Don't need 10K
http://www.glennalumguitars.com/Standard%20Alloy%20Tele/standard%20tele.htm
I meant for a Satriani Chrome Boy... :icon_biggrin:

I'm surprised at what those aluminum Teles go for. I would have expected much higher pricing.

line6man said:
SustainerPlayer said:
line6man said:

I didn't doubt you, I meant the finish resembles Inca Silver more than actual aluminum.

Sorry - my bad. You know what's better than aluminium? Beer!  :eek:ccasion14:

That finish is either real chrome plating which can be done on plastics or poly. Or it is mirror chrome from a company called Alsa. We have experimented with mirror chrome and while it is beautiful it is also next to impossible to spray and look perfect. It also has to be sprayed on a finished buffed body without scuffing the finish for adheasion. Therefore the finish has absolutely no bound and easily peels.

Oh I should add that we do have an aluminum finish actually made with real aluminum powder but it is dull not shinny like chrome.

That Glen Alum better watch the alumifumes, I think:

Custom Gold Bigsby Tele

This Tele has everything fully equiped with gold hardware and added LR Baggs Acoustic Bridge.

Specs are: Hollow Aluminium Body, with a strat like cut out in the back for player comfort, Jvp Neck, Wilkerson double lock tuners, Gold strap locks, Gold Chet Wire Arm, 3 x GSF 17ohm Strat configuration pickups, 5 way switching, Aluminium Pick Guard, Gold Controls, Volume, Blend (for blendind the acoustic brigde with the electric's) Tone,Gold pick guard screws, LR Baggs Active Acoustic Bridge which gives this guitar endless sound options (comming soon to this page). The Price is $4000.00 add $100.00 for a hard case.

It's one thing for the "luthier?" guy who built your guitar to not know that he's "equiped" it with Wilkinson tuners rather than Wilkersons, and those GSF pickups might be made by GFS; when I read that the blend is for "Blendind the acoustic brigde" I thought maybe he just had a real bad cold, but he's, umm, bragging, or advertising, that he put a "Jvp" neck on it? Jvp is not a secret factory under the Himalayas staffed by Tibetan monks on a centuries-long quest to out-Warmoth Warmoth. JVP's are one of those cheap random companies that make Strat-shaped boards to sit in the windows of mom-and-pop Thomas Organ franchises. "Well it looks just like that Jeemy Hendrick's guitar!" You could buy three complete JVP guitars for the price of a Warmoth neck, and this guy did cause he's using another neck on another one! You certainly wouldn't want to waste any extra money on Schallers or Duncans or a real neck, not when you're only asking $4000 for an "aluminium" guitar.

I have often though that after the easy stuff's done, it's the attention to detail that makes the difference.  :icon_thumright:

On Gleamo, by using Lawrence double blade-single sized pickups & 500K pots, I pretty much went out of the way to make sure it won't sound like a wood guitar. The body has room to put some mushy old humbuckers in there if for some reason you wanted a tame, imitation-wood sound.  :icon_scratch: I have always tried to use guitars that sound as different from each other, and I have long preferred starting with a clear bright sound and darkening it by rolling off some highs, mostly through speaker choice. As opposed to starting with mush and trying to fix it with a treble booster, as was (secretly) so common among the Clapton/Green/Bloomfield wannabees.

I do love raucousness  done well, but you got to admit that when Leslie West or Paul Kossoff hit a full-up six-string chord ROWR, it was pretty much anybody's guess what the individual notes actually were. Kind of like trying to count a charging lion's teeth or something. And I always though Pete Townsend sounded best when you couldn't hear him. Of course, he's not hearing much of anything these days.

Warning: possible threadjacking!

Well, more a rabbit trail off the main topic, but...  I have a few sheets of aluminum/steel sheetmetal - (leftovers from the HVAC install on my house).  Wondering - could I use them as a veneer on a guitar?  Or even a top for a thinline style guitar? I've learned a ton building a thinline from scratch, but I'm ready to do another one & make it much better - if I could use this sheetmetal as a top (I could polish it into something seriously shiny), would that work?

Or would it be such horrible tone I should stick to putting it on a solid body if I used it at all?  I've still got my work space taken up by puppy-rearrangement, so I won't be able to try it out easily any time soon, but I've been able to get sheet metal to look really pretty before. I think I'm going to give this a shot unless someone stops me...

Back