almost done, purple flame LP JTV variax xplant

toasterdude

Just stopped by Guitartex in san antonio where john was finishing up my latest xplant of Line 6 JTV guts. He needed a battery to check that all functions well. The only stuff left is the truss cover and cavity covers for the back. Pretty sure I got one of the last LPs from warmoth. Crappy iphone pic but I am dying to play this sucker:

Warmoth single cut, mahagony back, flame maple cap,purple dye top, trans purple sides and back double bound in pearloid.

warmoth 25.5" scale LP neck, 1 11/16ths, tusq nut, pearloid diamond inlays and pearloid binding, soon pearloid truss cover.

JTV variax 59 guts. pretty sure John got the guts out of my old CSB 59

Seymour Duncan custom shop pearloid P Rails

JTV-LP-Xplant by toasterdude, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments. This guy is the third in the "trilogy". I already have a telecaster and explorer that are double bound in pearloid, with purple flame top and diamond inlays. The explorer has a flamed back as well. This LP is the only one that has a bound neck. Back when I first started this warmoth would not do binding on necks with SS frets. I guess they now do.

When I first started I was actually hoping for all three to look like a "set", same neck specs, same finish, same pearloid trim and pearloid prails. However Warmoth purple flame finishes seem to vary a great deal. . . .lol.

The other two guitars:

Untitled by toasterdude, on Flickr

399033_3303939875088_1165721190_32602428_906003856_n by toasterdude, on Flickr

hannaugh said:
Nice!  I like the diamond inlay on that neck.

Thanks! I was admiring your recent LP thread. I almost bought a nice burst warmoth LP off of ebay but was late to pull the trigger. I want to see the new "paulish" looking design as I always wanted a goldtop.

My next build is a warmoth Firebird with warmoth tele neck. Fralin tele bridge, fralin strat middle, lollar mini hum neck for pickups. Purple frost finish. Big shocker, I know!

Wow, did you just pick up every Gibson style in purple before they were discontinued?  That's what I would have done if I had a lot of cash.  :laughing7:

See ya go P-rails in every one of 'em... ya must love  that pick-up set!  Do they all sound the same, or does each instrument have enough other factors to give each their own voice/tone?

hannaugh said:
Wow, did you just pick up every Gibson style in purple before they were discontinued?  That's what I would have done if I had a lot of cash.  :laughing7:

I actually ordered both before knowing anything about the gibson stuff going bye bye. Also did a jazz bass at the same time. If I would have known, a Flying V and a L5 may have been ordered. . . .lol.

Day-mun said:
See ya go P-rails in every one of 'em... ya must love  that pick-up set!  Do they all sound the same, or does each instrument have enough other factors to give each their own voice/tone?

I dig the prails alot on JTV variax guitars. 95% of my patches use both magnetic and modeled sounds at once. So if I need to combine with a strat, tele, 335, gretsch etc, the prails give more flavors than dual humbuckers. So yeah they all basically sound the same. Original plan was to get a LP to match the tele I had already put variax 500 guts in, then upgrade the tele to JTV guts. That way I would have a "matching" backup.

MY GF talked me into doing an explorer, which I love but is so damn big, is tough to fly with, so I wound up with three rather than 2.

The other two purple xplants have different pickup options. A JTV69 body has prail bridge and neck but with a duncan lipstick in the middle plus a 5 way switch for more "stratty" sounds.

The firebird that is up next will not have any prails but rather more of a nashville tele type setup with tele bridge, strat middle and mini hum neck.

I have two non warmoth bodies, that may be receiving xplanted guts, but no purple flame/pearloid stuff. . . .lol. One is another firebird, that will get cream p rails, cream p90 in middle plus a tremolo bridge. Thinking metallic green with a Presidente Beer logo. . . .as I live in the Dominican Republic.

Last one is a Billy Bo type body that will probably get TV Jones Filtertrons and a bigsby. Thinking black back with maybe purple flake top. Of course warmoth necks with same specs on both of those as well.

Back