All these locking tuners, no oval buttons?!

B3Guy

Ok, so I've been looking at Sperzels and Planet waves and pretty much all the high end locking tuners, and none of them are available with oval (like 'ol fender) buttons, as far as I can tell, and nobody seems to make after-market ones?! (what, does fender have the oval copyrighted or something?)

does anybody know of any truly oval buttons for these things?  :icon_scratch:

http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/allparts-guitar-amp-parts/tuning-keys/guitar/locking-6-in-line-keys/gotoh-locking-tuners-minis-6-in-line-height-adjustable-posts-2-p-2985.html
http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/allparts-guitar-amp-parts/tuning-keys/guitar/locking-6-in-line-keys/gotoh-locking-tuners-vintage-style-6-in-line-w-height-adjustable-posts-2-p-2987.html

thanks, so its Gotoh, eh? do you know, are the buttons universal between the different tuners?

stew mac sells them too, I have two pair, they are great tuners. No one can tell them apart from the older style.

they've been bashed as crap by some on this board, but I've never heard anyone who ACTUALLY HAS THEM bashing. I'm at a loss. I am tempted to trust those who have them, but IDK. Why so much negativity if there isn't something wrong with them?  :icon_scratch:

nexrex said:
Yeah, i have a set of Gotoh tuners with oval buttons. They are no locking.

yes, but they have LOCKING ones that look the same as the vintage ones.

I have two sets of the Gotoh vintage locking tuners - one set is height adjustable and the other set isn't. I ended up using a string tree with the height adjustable ones so I'll probably stick with the fixed height ones from now on, but I love these tuners. I haven't figured out why a few people around here have so much hate for these. They have all-metal construction, smooth operation, and very secure locking with the help of some spare change. For me, they're the perfect blend of old school looks and modern function. As you stated, the people bashing them haven't actually used them. I'd say if the looks appeal to you, you'll probably be happy with them. FWIW I've been happy with every Gotoh product I've purchased (locking and non-locking tuners, tele bridge, nashville and abr-1 TOM bridges, aluminum tailpieces, and bass bridge). :icon_thumright:

so the height adjusting ones don't really make enough of a difference on a strat, eh? good to know.  :icon_thumright:

what string tree and nut are you using? I've been trying to find a decent roller tree that isn't too horribly fugly. some of them seem really huge.

The best are the height adjustable ones.
You may still need one string tree for the E and B.
Try to make sure that it is only pressing down on the strings a bit...I use a small spring as a height adjustable spacer for the tree.

A lot of people have been able to eliminate the string tree using height adjustable tuners. For me, though, the sound of the B and E strings was better with the tree. There just wasn't enough breakover angle on the one neck I tried it on (a Warmoth Tele neck). I like the little barrel tree from Warmoth, but I've never had any tuning stability issues that were caused by a string tree.

S6300092.jpg

Back