All rosewood neck-To finish or not to finish?

Wana_make_a_guitar

Sometime this week or so i'm going to order my All rosewood, "w" headstock, angled, floyd prepped neck. But the big question is should i finish it or not finish it?

I'm kinda leaning on the no finish because i have been told it's damn awesome it it to play, but i'm scared of neck warping when i play with sweaty hands over time. What are your thoughts?  :help: :sad:

I've got a Goncalo bass neck that I never finished, and it's great. Been playing it for over a year with no trouble at all. Unless you sweat buckets or live in a very humid area, I say don't.

This topic convinces me that Wana doesn't really read any of the posts people make around here.  :laughing7:

Just out of curiosity, what would you finish it with? Rosewood is oilier than anything you could possibly stick on it. If you finish it with poly, it will peel off - if you finish it with nitro, it will peel off. If you want to do something just because you like to rub on wood, you could rub on some carnauba wax or lemon oil or something just to be doing something, but the wood's not gonna care - the wood's already happy.... :help:

I completely agree with everyone here.  HELL no!

If your worried about longevity, do like stubhead said and just lightly oil it once a year or so.

NonsenseTele said:
guitlouie said:
Matte black Krylon.

NonsenseTele said:
If you finish it I'll personally kick your ass!  :evil4:
Be warned :p
And of those who try to convince you to do it :laughing7:

I think you should cover it in a nice thick coat of red enamel.  Either that or powder coat it.

oh yea:  :icon_biggrin:

ahhhh, bless your heart....but... NOOOO!!! ;)
have you not paid any attention lately???

Marko said:
ahhhh, bless your heart....but... NOOOO!!! ;)
have you not paid any attention lately???
it would seem my mind is wandering from the guitar world lately. I'm still at school, and will be for some time, and i've been dumped on with a buttload of work.

Back