Alder Body Blank :: Minimum Neck Tongue Thickness?

swipesy

Hi all! I'm working on an alder Warmoth routed body blank and have a question.

What would be the minimum neck tongue thickness to retain structural integrity? I was thinking 5/8" or 3/4", but I want to be sure about that. It's a symmetrical body shape with little side support and I'll be using a metal neck plate to mount the neck.

Thanks!

Also remember you are going to use screws to secure the neck, so plan accordingly. I'd use the countered heel on the warmoth website as a guide, and do nothing less than what warmoth uses. You'll probably need enough meat to accomodate a 38mm screw. I'd get the screws first, and make sure they wouldn't poke into the fretboard. That would make you cry.

Oh yes it would! You wouldn't happen to know how thick the end of a countered heel is would you? I couldn't find that info on Warmoth's site.

If you do a search here you might find the length of the screws necessary for a countered heel. Probably the best bet is to call warmoth directly and ask them about the length of thier screws, and buy a set, and then when you get a neck just make sure when you're shaving off heel wood you leave enough on to accomodate the screws. That's what I would do, but I find the countour nice, but unnecessary so that's one worry I'll never have.

Here's the description of neck screws for the coutoured heel from the Warmoth site. I got chrome plated screws for mine, so I have the 1-3/8" long screws, and they worked as they're supposed to.

Details​

• Includes 4 screws
  • Phillips Oval Head
  • Length of long screws is 1-3/4" (45mm)
  • Length of short screws is 1-3/8" (35mm) (*Stainless Steel short screws are 1-1/2" (38mm))
  • Available in Chrome, Stainless Steel, Black, and Gold

Back