Albert Lee-Alike: A project that will probably take me a while, but hey

Wednesday evening the UPS brought me my body! Stunning job by Tonar/Greg! My pics don't really do it justice.

I assembled and wired it up over the past two days, and now my Valentine's guitar is ready for action. Assembly went fairly smooth, but I chipped the finish around one of the bridge posts :( I might have to try to find some model paint in a close color to touch it up with.

Anyways, it came out gorgeous! The color is a bit off in my pictures and doesn't capture the metallic shine, but hey, still gorgeous. I'll shoot some better pics another time.

Attachments

• IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
Looks good! Nice job. That neck looks great on it. Greg's finish is spectacular, isn't it?

It might be worth asking Tonar if he saved any of the original mix. Then you'd know the chemistry and color was right. Otherwise, and I know this goes without saying, but be careful. Sometime fixing minor flaws turns into a tar baby: the more you touch it, the worse things get.

Cagey said:
It might be worth asking Tonar if he saved any of the original mix. Then you'd know the chemistry and color was right. Otherwise, and I know this goes without saying, but be careful. Sometime fixing minor flaws turns into a tar baby: the more you touch it, the worse things get.

I second that notion, through embarrassing personal experience. :sad:

It turned out beautiful and like you said the pictures don't come close to showing how pretty that finish turned out. It really has me wanting to do a Burgundy Mist Metallic Strat for myself but I need another Strat like a hole in the head.

I have to say quite honestly metallic finishes do not touch up. I have resprayed whole guitars to fix a finish because they got dinged or some other crazy finish mishap. I think the chances of making the situation worse is greater than making it look better.  That said I'll send you some paint in an aerosol can it you want to give it a go. 

Let me know.

I agree, fixing metallics is an exercise in futility. What I'd do, if some of that mix is available, it get a small modeler's brush and just get rid of the exposed highlight, not try to "fix" the finish. Just make it so it's not obvious without scrutiny. Kinda like "fixing" a black finish with a Sharpie.

Cagey said:
...Kinda like "fixing" a black finish with a Sharpie.
Been there, done that! Used a Sharpie on a purple metallic guitar, certainly not a perfect fix, but makes things much less obvious.  :icon_thumright:

Thanks guys, I decided to take a look around the craft store and see what I could find. I ended up finding a Sharpie metallic pink paint pen and it did a pretty damn good cover up job. It's a slightly brighter color than burgundy mist, but close enough to make the blemish much less visible. In person it looks even closer. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
Some pretty pictures, and and a new leather strap from McMurray and Blonde  :hello2:

LZhxh2b.jpg

LteaFeP.jpg

VoKDrk8.jpg

Back