Albert Lee-Alike: A project that will probably take me a while, but hey

It does look better so far. My concern would be longevity, but we'll have to let some time and stress answer that question. In my experience, Bondo dries/cures like a rock and wood doesn't, so who knows? Gotta try, right? It's either that, or cut a new body, or eat it and smile.

The routerbeast is a mean machine. I've wrecked or disfigured at least my share of wood using that tool. Sometimes you curse everything in sight and contribute to the woodpile, other times you do your best and caulk the rest  :laughing7:

More progress: did the forearm contour and tummy cut, countersunk ferrules and contoured heel in Hendrix/Tomatonator style, drilled the jack hole, and of course did plenty of sanding.

The body is about ready to go visit Mr. Tonar for finishing in burgundy mist metallic.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
ragamuffin said:
More progress: did the forearm contour and tummy cut, countersunk ferrules and contoured heel in Hendrix/Tomatonator style, drilled the jack hole, and of course did plenty of sanding.

The body is about ready to go visit Mr. Tonar for finishing in burgundy mist metallic.

Lookin' Good so far. With nice paint job you should be sittin' sweet.

Looks like I responded to your query about 9 days too late ;) Hope you're happy with the hole locations anyway and have no trouble with the side adjust of a Warmoth modern neck.

Tomatonator said:
Looks like I responded to your query about 9 days too late ;) Hope you're happy with the hole locations anyway and have no trouble with the side adjust of a Warmoth modern neck.

Haha no worries, I figured it out. I only moved mine in about 4mm from the side and 1cm down to make sure there's plenty of room.  :headbang:

Ordered my neck! And Tonar has sealed and grain-filled the body, looks so good I almost wish I had gone for a burst finish. Almost.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 4.02.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 4.02.16 PM.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 4.05.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 4.05.10 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Looks like Tonar's paint stick still has the traces of Robert's Dunn Edwards Slumber blue on it!

Congrats on your progress. I'm sure it'll be a beauty when the paint's complete, burst or no.

Can't wait to see the finish on it.

Greg's bursts are phenomenal! I may want one of those myself one of these days.

Bagman67 said:
Looks like Tonar's paint stick still has the traces of Robert's Dunn Edwards Slumber blue on it!
I'll bet that stick has a lot of different color layers on it.

Rgand said:
Can't wait to see the finish on it.

Greg's bursts are phenomenal! I may want one of those myself one of these days.

Bagman67 said:
I'll bet that stick has a lot of different color layers on it.

Jawbreaker stick lol

Got some parts in: two Luminlay knobs (mainly I like that they're domes with numbers) and some custom wenge parts from DKnob to match my neck

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 45
Indeed, those knobs look cool, how did you find them or know they exist?

Thanks! I first saw them on a Keisel guitar I think, and I hunted them down

https://luminlay.com/shopen_knobs.html

They ship from Japan, I don’t know of any U.S. retailer

Got my pickups: the bridge pickup is a "shop floor custom" SL trembucker with four conductor wiring and modern short legs. The neck pickup is a "regular" SL. I removed the cover and found zebra bobbins! It does have a long leg baseplate though which I realized I'll have to change to short leg baseplate to fit it into this guitar. I'm not sure yet if I'll go with covers or no covers.

AND Tonar shot the burgundy mist color coat  :eek:

Things are getting real close to coming together, and my anticipation is through the roof!

Attachments

• IMG_2418.PNG
    IMG_2418.PNG
    958.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 7.25.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 7.25.30 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
THIS is so damn cool! The Albert Lee was my favorite guitar I've owned aside from my Warmoths. I'm still kicking myself for selling it. I would love to build a custom one like this. Great choice on the color. And the guy applying it, Greg is the best.

JaySwear2 said:
THIS is so damn cool! The Albert Lee was my favorite guitar I've owned aside from my Warmoths. I'm still kicking myself for selling it. I would love to build a custom one like this. Great choice on the color. And the guy applying it, Greg is the best.

Thanks! I'm really exited for everything to come together

Neck arrived today! Ebony on wenge, SS6105s. Polished up the frets and burnished the shaft, ready to bolt on. I'm really happy with the wood; neck and fretboard are lovely.

Attachments

• IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Back