Albert Lee-Alike: A project that will probably take me a while, but hey

ragamuffin

I've been formulating this project in my head for the past couple of months, and I'm finally taking the first steps towards making it happen. I've been gas-ing for a modern H-H strat-type-thing (funny because for a long time I never got along with strats) and I fell in love with the Music Man Albert Lee shape. It's kind of retro, and with the right appointments it will perfectly suit the retro-modern look that I want. That will mean shaping the body myself, which I've never done before.

After months of throwing around different colors and specs I've mostly settled on this:
-Rear routed, burgundy mist metallic alder Albert Lee body (I'll likely get it finished by MJT)
-Warmoth (of course!) warhead neck, wenge with ziricote, no inlays
-Two low/moderate output hb's, I plan to use open face covers and make wenge face inserts, direct mounted
-One volume, one tone, three way switch, push-pull out-of-phase switch
-Hipshot contour trem and locking tuners

Below is a quick and dirty mockup

I'm talking with a guy about making me a CNC'd body template, and I just got a bandsaw in the mail from Amazon! Can't wait to start practicing my body shaping!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 1.23.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 1.23.24 PM.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 37
This is a cool project! There's nothing more rewarding than making a guitar with your own body shape. Take your time and it'll come out fantastic. This will be fun to follow.

I've got wood! I got some 1.75 poplar from a local lumber supplier and glued up a practice blank, the grain looks really nice. Almost too nice... If all goes well maybe it will have to be a guitar itself one day.  :dontknow:

I also ordered my Warmoth blank, maybe I'll get it around Christmas

Unfortunately the guy who's CNC-ing my body template is having trouble with his machine and says that it might be another week or two before I get mine. Poop. I hate waiting, I'm all fired up to start shaping.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.06.53 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
That's good looking poplar with nice color all the way across. It will make a fine body.

ragamuffin said:
Unfortunately the guy who's CNC-ing my body template is having trouble with his machine and says that it might be another week or two before I get mine.

Are you using the same guy that the dude with the laminated wood is using? #kidding

BroccoliRob said:
ragamuffin said:
Unfortunately the guy who's CNC-ing my body template is having trouble with his machine and says that it might be another week or two before I get mine.

Are you using the same guy that the dude with the laminated wood is using? #kidding

Lol!

ragamuffin said:
I've got wood! 
:eek:ccasion14: If I looked at the grain on that poplar a couple more seconds; I will too :evil4: That is a nice looking section of poplar. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

My template came in the mail, and I leaped into action!

Band sawed it out (I tried to get a little too close to the lines and made a few small boo boos, lesson learned)

Router-ed it and rounded it over, and did the forearm and belly contour with a shinto saw rasp (great little tool!)

The Warmoth routed blank is coming in the mail later this week  :hello2:

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Looking mighty good so far.  Do you mind if I ask where you got your template?  I scored a body blank that I'm considering doing in an Albert Lee shape, if not a Musicmaster with Tele appointments.

Bagman67 said:
Looking mighty good so far.  Do you mind if I ask where you got your template?  I scored a body blank that I'm considering doing in an Albert Lee shape, if not a Musicmaster with Tele appointments.

Thanks! I custom ordered it from https://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com
It took a little longer than expected, but otherwise they were very good to work with

Cagey said:
What's the damage? Some pics might be helpful.

I'm working long shifts this weekend, but I'll post some pics when I get a chance on Monday. I set my pattern bit a little too high  (I think that's what happened) and damaged the area at the front of the neck pocket on the template and body. Fortunately not a lot of wood was removed, just half a cm or so at the top/front of the neck pocket.

My router is also struggling a bit with the mahogany body, much more so than with the poplar I did my practice on.

This is the damage... Bad but it could have been a lot worse. I stuffed it with Bondo wood filler and will sand/re-route

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
Back