AGH!!! OMG!!!!

smavridis

I was playing my strat today, alright? and then i decide to check the forums. notthing unusual. i turn down the volume on my strat and BAM i'm listening to crappy pop music through my f*ck*ng amp! how do i prevent this and does this ever happen to you guys?

20090205-knargkq77pgx2s2f7ethkfatpx.preview.jpg

"Well now, that sounds like a grounding issue, doesn't it?"

Check yer geetar's grounding.

Happened to me years ago with a crappy wah wah I had.

Do you still hear with the guitar volume turned down?

I have that problem sometimes also.  It's the worst.  As far as my guitar and pedal setup go I put a lot of effort into shielding the guitar and making sure there are no ground loops in it or on my pedal setup, and sometimes I still catch the local radio stations.  It's frustrating because my X3 is always silent as ever when I use it, but when I use the setup I really like (my Carvin Master Tube Series) its a hit or miss as to whether or not I'm going to just be a big antenna.  I understand and am fine with the idea of distortion making noise or a hiss but sometimes it's a pain in the a$$ when you've got a lot of noise and junk coming through your rig when you're palm muting or playing something with a lot of breaks that are supposed to be silent.

ya guitar volume is down and i hear the radio. its so ironic because i just got down playing me some maiden and i start to hear pokerface by lady gaga. i HATE lady gaga with a passion. i LURV iron maiden. so wtf?

I got a power conditioner, fixed the problem for me, one day I was playing some sevendust songs, I stopped for a second, and britney-spears came through my cab speakers! BLAGH!! But yeah, make sure your guitar is grounded/shielded well, and after that, get rid of any dirty power to your gear through a power conditioner and you should be fine. Any other thoughts people?

A few months ago I got right-wing talk radio through my amp. "Next up, we'll see why Global Warming's just a Myth!!"  Very funny at the time.

tfarny said:
A few months ago I got right-wing talk radio through my amp. "Next up, we'll see why Global Warming's just a Myth!!"  Very funny at the time.

Was it Limbaugh?   :icon_biggrin:

haha - but I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm being nice for a change. I was just telling a true story.  :icon_tongue:

tfarny said:
haha - but I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm being nice for a change. I was just telling a true story.  :icon_tongue:

Sorry Tim...couldn't resist. 

I had this problem with a home built amp.  The cure was to put a 10K resistor between the first tube and the input.  It acted like a speed bump to the antenna signal.  A buddy of mine had problems with his amp, and some contact cleaner did the trick on the input jack.  Turn the volume off on the guitar and see if you get a signal, if so something is funky in the amp.  Otherwise it could be the cord, pedals, or guitar.  Good luck.
Patrick

I usually get the local classical station. Not bad at all, considering what you guys have been picking up! Clearly my single coils are cooler than yours.  :laughing7:

There was a Spanish radio station in my hometown.  After a nice rain, the phone would play that station before you dialed.  It did that in the whole town, not just our house.

I also get talk radio... I think it's NPR, not too shabby.  :redflag:

Nothing to be done about it, really... except play inside a Farraday cage.  :help:

Are you running a tube amp?  If so, the grid stopper resistor is either
a - absednt
b - the worng size (68k should be ok)
c - too far away from the tube socket.

If it were me I'd figure out if there's an amp or a guitar issue.  Did you try a different amp?  Different guitar?  Then clean your pots depending whichever it is.  then check grounding.  if that doesn't solve it bring it to a tech.  I'm not an expert on amps so I'd defer to the experts.

it definately is the guitar. i dont know how grounding works or how to spot where its grounded so  :help:

Back