Acrylic E-Bay finds...too good to be true?

texicus

Hey guys, lookin for a little guidance on this one...I've always loved the look of an acrylic guitar body, and hit ebay today to try and find a decent used BC Rich mockingbird...and I found this. As well as a few others.  I'm assuming a cheap acrylic body can't be as good as an Ampeg one, but I've never really had too much experience with them...would this be worth looking into?  Or should I definately pass it by...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-SEE-THRU-CLEAR-ICE-ACRYLIC-FLYING-V-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ190323213545QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2c5025c4e9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1215|293%3A1|294%3A50

T50

I'm not familiar with this guitar. But the shape of the V body looks quite off.
The wings are too short.

R

Rouse

I was thinking about a acrylic body once, but decided not to due to the fact it would be super HEAVY and the tone would be off, and that V is very off from what it should look like.

And that neckplate screw popping out can't be good either  :-\

texicus

Rouse said:
And that neckplate screw popping out can't be good either   :-\

I think that the strap button is right there too.  But yea, I was thinking the V didn't look quite right...they have LPs, Teles, Strats...I'm tempted...I could probably pawn shop one for the same priceish if it's junk...hmmm...

DslDwg

While the can be somewhat cool - What are the tonal properties of the material ???

R

Rouse

DslDwg said:
While the can be somewhat cool - What are the tonal properties of the material ???

It'll have good sustain, that's for sure.

DangerousR6

I believe Ampeg used to make some acrylic guitars back in the 70's, they were very popular. And Joe Satriani's "ChromeBoy" was chrome plated lucite...... :headbang1: