Abalone binding

Firebird211

I don't know if it had been suggested before, but I was thinking adding Abalone to the options for binding.  I don't know if it's not available or easy to use for them.

isn't real abalone strips a type of polished sea shell? if so, then how would that even work?

the inside lining of an abolone shell is what they use, I do not know if it is flexable enough to be used for a binding without having to work it extensively, I have it on the top of a Acoustic around the sound hole, but that is not bent, and it did make the cost of the guitar go up over the model without the  inlay.

+1....Schecter does a nice job with it.
images_list_8_174_29973_2.jpg

Shecters always have a polished look to them, don't they?

The binding is probably fake abalone. I don't think you can work the real stuff like that.

I knew we would find some faux synthetic genuine fake copy of almost real 2 mil plated certified imitation abolone somewhere  :party07: :party07:

I was thinking about how I seen Schecter do it as well, more than likely it's synthetic, but is looks cool.  I might have to make an excuse for myself someday to build a Firebird with an abalone pickguard and binding, not real abalone, of course. Then do some sort of natural colored flamed wood.  I'm sure the abalone binding on a Schecter's is about as real as pearloid.  Thanks Mayfly, now if someday when I have any extra money, I can talk Warmoth into doing it for me. :rock-on:

I would just crap myself if they could do an inlay similar to my Ibanez acoustic.  I realize that they have too many guitars to move to do different inlays themselves, and they just have custom inlays they can do quickly. :sad:

5247124912_fe9555a6c4.jpg

I don't think that Schecter stuff is fake. It looks like it is inlayed in the top (like on an acoustic soundhole), just really near the edge, perhaps right up against some really thin binding?

You can catch a glimps of my acoustic's soundhole with abalone for comparison.  I think it's just like Jusatele said about the cost of the guitar revealing whether or not its real abalone.  When I was shopping for a Schecter I really considered getting a Hellraiser, but I couldn't stand the shape of the headstock, so I got a C-1 custom instead.  Most of Schecter's guitars like the Hellraiser pictured are modestly priced under a thousand bucks.

+1 for abalone or abaPhoney binding and inlays (not just dots)

I thought those Schecters looked good until I noticed there is no neck binding. It looks incomplete to me.

Jack Michaelson said:
I thought those Schecters looked good until I noticed there is no neck binding. It looks incomplete to me.

Oh no, the binding is on the neck, but it doesn't show in the picture very well and goes right around the headstock.  It inspired me to do a similar thing with pearloid.

...I am not sure if it is real or fake.  Not sure if I care...it looks cool!  Imagine an entire abalone top!!!!...like the PEARLOID option Warmoth has!!!!  :toothy10:

DSCN2089.jpg

I must be one of the only ones who think abalone binding is awful and tacky.  The main reason I won't buy an ESP ltd 1000 series guitar is because it has abalone binding.  Schecter isn't much better.  Basically the same reason why a lot of people don't like gold hardware.

I'm not a huge fan of abalone binding either, and that abalone topped guitar to me look gawd awful.  :toothy11:

well they had to make it so we could have an extreme to compare to.

I think at that point, it's just art. And Nex, I agree

Back