Aaron videos - Talkbox

S

swarfrat

Perhaps he didn't plug it here because it's an Aaron Music and not Warmoth plug, but I will:

Aaron talks about using a Talkbox. It's pretty cool, and informative if you've never really seen one up close.  Every time in the past I investigated wah pedals I was so disappointed. Then one day I realized I wasn't actually after a wah sound with its sweep from mud to icepick. I wanted a talkbox. Just don't take it to the open mic night.
[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY5A5oHCRhw[/youtube]

swarfrat said:
Perhaps he didn't plug it here because it's an Aaron Music and not Warmoth plug, but I will:

Thanks swarfrat...I appreciate that! I do have lots of personal content out there, but try to avoid mixing the streams AMAP.

Sometimes it's hard, because when you are putting yourself out there in public videos people are always going to be interested in you personally. For example, some of the most common requests I've had since shooting the Warmoth videos at home are:

1. What kind of mug is that?
2. Tell me about your live rig.
3. Tell me about your studio.
4. What kind of tea are you drinking?
5. What kind of chair is that?
6. Can you do some Scorpions song lessons?
7. Tell me more about the albums on the wall.
8. Tell me about all the non-Warmoth guitars I see in your studio.

It might be a fine line, but IMHO "this is something cool and educational for our customers even though we don't sell it" is different from "I'm a cool guitar player singer and songwriter look at my channel"

I think the talkbox video falls into the former

AA (The AAron), aka BB (Bigmouth Bass), does it again. Another very informative and enjoyable video.

This puts a whole new meaning to 'bass player'.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Rgand said:
This puts a whole new meaning to 'bass player'.

Hehe! Yeah.

I remember reading an article in some publication or another about 100 years ago on how to build one of those for yourself. This was back when "Frampton Comes Alive" had been released and everybody wanted to cover it. It was surprising how much power the little rascal needed - something like a 50W amp in that box - and it fed a horn driver with the bell cut off at the throat rather than a speaker. Attache the mouth tube to the nub that would be left, and voila! You were playing your guitar in your mouth!

I'm not a germaphobe, but I do have my limits, and that was the first thing I thought would be a problem with it. Whaddaya, put a spit valve on it like a wind instrument? And how long was that driver gonna live, drowning in saliva? Plus, the mouth is the filthiest part of your body - on and on. I decided I could live without it. They played "Do You Feel Like We do" on the radio about every 15 minutes anyway - who needed to cover it?

If it wasn't for the hassle (keep it, carry it, clean it, set it up, etc..) and not mic'd while playing at home, etc.. etc... I'd love one as - it really is the ultimate wah. But it's totally not worth it IMO if you're not performing with it.

As well as Frampton Comes Alive mentioned also Joe Walsh used one I think on Rocky Mountain Way. I first remember them from Jeff Beck and a UK TV appearance.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZlFTbvfKPE[/youtube]

swarfrat said:
If it wasn't for the hassle (keep it, carry it, clean it, set it up, etc..) and not mic'd while playing at home, etc.. etc... I'd love one as - it really is the ultimate wah. But it's totally not worth it IMO if you're not performing with it.

Yes, it's a massive hassle. However, if you are in a Bon Jovi tribute and you're playing there most popular song without one you are doing it wrong. You can skate by with a wah pedal if you're in a cover band...but a tribute? No sir.

I imagine one of the Fractal units and an exp pedal would do it [untested speculation/probably correct].

I feel your pain though, I had a talk box for that song + Sweet Emotion way back when. I hated everything about the device and the effect.

To be fair, it's sort of a one-of-a-kind sound, and just about the only way to get it. But, Joe Walsh and Peter Frampton basically wore it out.

I substitute my auto-wah boss aw-3.  It only gets you in the ball park, like out in the bull pen behind the right field bleachers.  The only plus is no mess, but AA is right, if you need that sound, you gotta do it.  Plus, it is really cool.  Who doesn't love that sound?

Who doesn't love that sound?

My Ex-Brother in law. However, He's also known to eat pork rinds dipped in raspberry syrup. So I'll leave the assessment of his cultural tastes up to you. :icon_thumright:

I had a discussion with the mastermind behind Visual Sound's circuits years ago, but neither of us have built it yet. I still think it would be cool to have a two filter wah with some mapping to map the two formant frequencies to the vowel pattern range.

with the auto wah you get a poor facsimile of one vowel to the other.

PhilHill said:
Who doesn't love that sound?

My Ex-Brother in law. However, He's also known to eat pork rinds dipped in raspberry syrup. So I'll leave the assessment of his cultural tastes up to you. :icon_thumright:
:laughing11: :laughing11:

A touch off subject, but may I share:
I still have a sinful list for that Oxblood LP that Beck use to play.

Found this guy looking for B3 videos - Talkbox on a Hammond (A100)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiClFzBGjeA[/youtube]

I don't believe I've ever heard of someone using a talkbox on an organ. (GYMOOTG). I guess keyboard guys are more likely to reach for a vocoder than a talkbox.

jay4321 said:
I imagine one of the Fractal units and an exp pedal would do it [untested speculation/probably correct].

I feel your pain though, I had a talk box for that song + Sweet Emotion way back when. I hated everything about the device and the effect.

Cagey said:
To be fair, it's sort of a one-of-a-kind sound, and just about the only way to get it. But, Joe Walsh and Peter Frampton basically wore it out.

Until I came to despise AS, that was certainly a fav, I love the sound of the talk box, but never got around to owning one. Even the JW and PF stuff is good, but I agree with Cagey, they got worn out on the radio...Along with The Zoo from the Scorps...

Back