a question for alfang or any other Van Halen gurus

DiMitriR33

i'm stationed in japan and last year i was looking through a music man catalouge in a local music store. they were selling an axis guitar identical in apearence to an EVH but it was called Axis EX and was advertised as a japanese model. it listed for about half of the evh shown.
i went back recently hoping to order one but they're no longer listed and the EVH isn't either.
does anyone know anything about this guitar? do they still make it? is the EVH still in production?

I don't know anything about it, I do know that Eddy has left a wake of pissed off Guitar Makers as he has jumped arround giving permission to someone to use his name and logo, ( the red, white and black stripes,) only to retract his contract and go elsewhere.

I wouldn't pay $25,000 (or half that amount) for a copy of anyones guitar, when I can make one close enough (better) with Warmoth parts, In fact if you do your homework, and take your time, I bet you could build one so exact, eddie wouldn't know the diference, and then sell it for big bucks. 

Mine is far from a perfect replica, but it gathers a crowd, Even people who claim to know Eddies guitar, think mine is a $25,000 re-make.

People on this forum would figure  out real quick, that it is not.

Have you tried to Google search that Axis?

yes it apears to be an evh built with american parts but asembled in japan. it still shows on the Kanda Shokai web site (the company name on the back of the catalouge) but it's not in this years catalouge.
it even has the evh switch location. i guess the copywrite laws don't apply over sees.
the store i origonally found the add at wasn't much help. it's hard when you don't speak the same language.

i like your guitar but i think the axis is so beatutiful.

i was going to do a VW build but warmoth can't sell the MM headstock anymore. EB copywrited it and won't sell the licence.

EB still makes the Axis, at least as far as I know. The EVH name was dropped long ago when he went with Peavey, but the Axis is more or less the same guitar, other than the switch position and the neck profile might be slightly different.

i can easily get an axis or axis supersport but the american models are so expensive. this guitar was just a bit more than half the price of an american axis.
i know there were some other guitars built oversees that look just like it but had a regular maple neck but this was in every detail the same as an EVH.

DiMitriR33 said:
i can easily get an axis or axis supersport but the american models are so expensive. this guitar was just a bit more than half the price of an american axis.
i know there were some other guitars built oversees that look just like it but had a regular maple neck but this was in every detail the same as an EVH.

OK, I see what you're saying now.

i was going to do a VW build but warmoth can't sell the MM headstock anymore. EB copywrited it and won't sell the licence.

The paddle comes to mind for some reason...

Bummer about the MM headstock.  I had wanted one for an VW build of my own down the road a ways (kinda like the soild Koa LP I had planed to build back when it cost the same as Black Korina).

http://www.kandashokai.co.jp/mm/guitar/axis_ex1.htm

oddly all the details are in english

Attachments

• axis_ex.jpg
    axis_ex.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 353
Back