A little confused on Dying steps

Indyplumber

I'm considering using dye on quilt maple but I'm still a little confused on the steps.  It seems simple enough.  But the question I have is when or even if to use wood filler or sanding sealer?  Those two items I don't believe are the same thing but sometimes I see them mentioned as if they are.  Are they?

If I was to dye I am assuming these steps?

1. Sand lightly with 320 then clean with air and/or tac cloth
2. Apply Dark or Black Dye to taste, sanding back
3. Apply Main Dye Color to taste
4. ?  Filler?  Sanding Sealer???  Nothing?
5. Clear Coats
6. Wet Sanding from 320 to 2000
7. Buffing

After applying the dye what step is next?  ???

Well, I'm not sure that I do much of anything really correctly, but I apply two coats of sanding sealer after dying. I do that because, so far, I've been using oil as a finish, and the sealer prevents the oil from sinking unevenly into the grain density variations. Actually it prevents the oil from being absorbed at all. And, maple does not require filler. If you're going to spray a lacquer finish, then I don't know what the answer is, but plenty of guys on the forum will know. Good luck, enjoy!

I throw on some sanding sealer between steps 2 & 3.  It'll make your main color come out much more even.  If you're gonna grain fill, do that before any dye.

Here's a link http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=15729.0
Sand with 320, (Maple  doesn't need grain filling) air dust then wipe with Denatured Alchol /
Methylated Spirit.
Stain for Me goes on raw wood ,any sealer will create a barrier preventing the stain to
penetrate the wood. Let dry sand if you wish & re-apply till it looks right for You. then use
Sealer thinned if you can. If you use the 320 sandpaper you did the prep with & air blow or brush the paper it will be less sharp cutting wise on the sealer coats.
If the rest of the body is Alder No grain fill is needed.
Look at "DIY Finishing" section any thread started by "Toner" you will learn a lot of info from.
Good Luck.

Back