A hole in my neck

TomK

I just received my first Warmoth Neck (a vintage modern) and Tele body.  As I was excited to see the gorgeous flame maple in my one piece maple neck I was surprised to see a hole down at the heel of the neck just under the finger board overhang.  This hole is exactly where you would have found the old truss rod adjustment on a older strat/tele neck before they put the adjustment up at the headstock behind the nut.  When I called Warmoth they said this hole is always there and its so they can hold it with a stick when finishing.  This to me sounds fishy, does anybody have a neck with this hole?  Do all Warmoth vintage modern necks have this, its hard to believe.  Fender does not need an extra hole to hold it with a stick when finishing it.  Was the guy at Warmoth just giving me some crap?

having said that, I never had a modern vintage, so can't help you... why don't you ask Warmoth?

Marko said:
having said that, I never had a modern vintage, so can't help you... why don't you ask Warmoth?

He did, they answered it' normal and used to hold the neck while finishing... He thinks it's "fishy", whatever this mean :dontknow:

Its a bung hole, there to let the bung drain during debungification.  Google bung hole and see all about it.

Its normal, its supposed to be there, and you can jam a stick in there and hold the neck when finishing

So thanks for all the help here I appreciate it.  I'm sorry that I posted this in two places, I was in the "just out of the box" forum looking for pictures of necks to see if any others had this so I decided to add a picture to show what I was talking about.  As far as fishy and what I meant, unlikely, not credible, made up etc.  I have never seen a hole like this in any other neck (Fender and Warmoth).  Fender seems to finish the neck without this and a friend of mine built a Tele from Warmoth with a pre-finished vintage modern neck and it does not have it.  I was basically suspecting that this was some mistake that the hole was there and this was what I was told.  My thought was to reach out to all you Warmoth build experts to see if I could get some answers.  :party07:

Every vintage modern neck I have ordered comes that way.  I think it has something to do with the way the CNC machine is programmed.  If you were to order a total vintage the truss rod adjustment screw would be coming out there.  You will like the easy access at the top of the neck for truss rod adjustment instead of having to take it off to make the adjustment.

Hope that helps.

I have a VM too but never noticed a hole there, maybe it's there - it shouldn't make any difference any way. CNC machines do need some kind of hole to use as a reference point / holder as far as I understand it - the bodies all have it but they put it in a place where they usually drill the bridge pup route so you only see it on unfinished, unrouted bodies.

TomK said:
I was in the "just out of the box" forum...                      ...to add a picture to show

No! You went wrong... You should be in the JOTB forum to add TONS of pictures of this neck :laughing7:

Wana's made a guitar said:
=CB= said:
Google bung hole and see all about it.
Don't do this  :laughing3:

You just did, and found out why?  :doh:  :icon_biggrin:

On topic: does the hole cause any problem with the project you have in mind? Sounds like it will be hidden once assembled. :icon_scratch:

OzziePete said:
=CB= said:
Don't do this  :laughing3:

You just did, and found out why?  :doh:  :icon_biggrin:

On topic: does the hole cause any problem with the project you have in mind? Sounds like it will be hidden once assembled. :icon_scratch:
Fortunately, i'm not that stupid.  :laughing7:

OzziePete said:
=CB= said:
Don't do this  :laughing3:

You just did, and found out why?  :doh:  :icon_biggrin:

Fortunately, i'm not that stupid.  :laughing7:

My faith in you has been restored, grasshopper.  :icon_biggrin: :icon_thumright:

Kung-Fu-tv-show-15.jpg

[closing this tab to open google search for bung hole........ :sad:]

The hole in the heel is used for holding the neck so that the finger board radius can be sanded into the neck as well as give some place for a paint handle to go. All Warmoth necks have a hole in the heel regardless of construction. Hope that solves the mystery.

Back