A glimpse at the new website

Is the implication that Dilbert is Elliot? A red hoodie thrown in the corner would be a killer bread crumb....

Now there's clever of you! i hadn't considered that. Sorry it's all blurry, when I exported it it was too big and when I resized it it got all weird looking and artifacted (jpegs, right?). Same thing happened here

ILrEIKX.jpg

The thing I've wanted forever has been the ability to visually pair necks with bodies.  Seeing the neck (with headstock shape) on a custom body you create is 40% of the inspiration (it's science!).  The thing where you can show a fretboard type on a showcase body isn't available for all of them, and honestly isn't very helpful. 

When I saw 'new website' I got super hopeful this would be added, but it seems like the new finish preview approach makes my desire even less of a possibility.

Just lamenting!

To me the implication is that Dilbert wishes there were extraterrestrials that would take him away.
I've felt that many times.  The first time I experienced that, it was not in a dingy apartment, but rather in a grimy graffiti ridden subway car.  After the umpteenth beggar came thru, after a third rate break dancer, this evangalist, (at least that's what I thought she was) was telling anyone who would listen that we were going to hell.  This was about the time of the Heaven's Gate people, and I started to pray to God if there were ET's please, have them take me away, take me away now.  Nothing happened, so that's how I know ET's don't exist.

Edit:  I just read what I wrote, if it's too off topic, please delete on my behalf.  Thanks, Rick

rookosu said:
The thing I've wanted forever has been the ability to visually pair necks with bodies.  Seeing the neck (with headstock shape) on a custom body you create is 40% of the inspiration (it's science!).  The thing where you can show a fretboard type on a showcase body isn't available for all of them, and honestly isn't very helpful. 

When I saw 'new website' I got super hopeful this would be added, but it seems like the new finish preview approach makes my desire even less of a possibility.

Just lamenting!

This will never, ever happen as long as Warmoth is producing Fender-licensed replacement necks. We are licensed to sell replacement necks only, and cannot sell, or appear to sell completed guitars or kits.

The Aaron said:
rookosu said:

Just lamenting!

This will never, ever happen as long as Warmoth is producing Fender-licensed replacement necks. We are licensed to sell replacement necks only, and cannot sell, or appear to sell completed guitars or kits.

Ah ha.  Well this makes perfect sense, and also simultaneously.....womp.

I'm crushing dreams, one crushed dream at a time.

:headbanging:

While it's fun to play with what a guitar will look like before purchasing, no builder in the world can hit the mark exactly. Fender licencing aside, if there was a full on builder with all possibilities on the W website, it would still only get close because each piece of wood is different. Some people would be disappointed when it isn't exactly what they get.

My experience is that it always turns out better than I could imagine. But then, I don't have exact expectations and consequently am not disappointed.

Rick said:
To me the implication is that Dilbert wishes there were extraterrestrials that would take him away.
I've felt that many times.  The first time I experienced that, it was not in a dingy apartment, but rather in a grimy graffiti ridden subway car.  After the umpteenth beggar came thru, after a third rate break dancer, this evangalist, (at least that's what I thought she was) was telling anyone who would listen that we were going to hell.  This was about the time of the Heaven's Gate people, and I started to pray to God if there were ET's please, have them take me away, take me away now.  Nothing happened, so that's how I know ET's don't exist.

Edit:  I just read what I wrote, if it's too off topic, please delete on my behalf.  Thanks, Rick
Yo that's a crazy story. people be weird! 

i didn't really have any deep thoughts behind the drawing I just thought it would be a funny juxtaposition of how sanitized and inoffensive the Dilbert comic usually is against a filthy apartment implying a dark side. the corporate life aint all it's cracked up to be and if he's like most corporate drones i know he's depressed af . I shoulda put a guitar in the background

The Aaron said:
rookosu said:

Just lamenting!

Would it be possible to even have the neck appear just above the body, unattached, a small gap, so we get a better idea of how they will look together?

pirate said:
Would it be possible to even have the neck appear just above the body, unattached, a small gap, so we get a better idea of how they will look together?

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

pirate said:
You can do that yourself with GIMP, PhotoShop or other image software to see what you will have when assembled. You can even mate up a neck to a body the way it would be. I do that a lot to see how different things will look.

Rgand said:
You can do that yourself with GIMP, PhotoShop or other image software to see what you will have when assembled. You can even mate up a neck to a body the way it would be. I do that a lot to see how different things will look.

OK...now...here is a glimpse into The Aaron's private world.

I am on a crusade to end Adobe's reign of terror. I want them contested in the marketplace, and ultimately toppled. GIMP won't do it, because GIMP sucks.

Here is your Photoshop alternative. It's called Affinity Photo.

It's $50, with free upgrades FOR LIFE. No subscription racket. If you come from PS, you will find the UI is instantly familiar. Same menus, same windows, same hotkeys...everything. You can open, edit, and save PSD files, as well as export to JPG, PSD, and TIF, and all the usual stuff. It has vector tools. It has nearly everything. A few features are more limited than PSD, but others are better. It's all I use at home now, and you should too.

They also make an Illustrator alternative, and an InDesign alternative.

What do we want? To bring about the end of Adobe's evil domination!
When do we want it? NOW!

Why do I feel so passionately about this? Because Adobe locked me out of my legal copy of CS3, which I paid for and owned, in order to compel me to bow to their subscription model.

Hey Aaron - will affinity designer work with .ai files?  That's the illustrator alt right?

Been looking for some graphics tools...

Mayfly said:
Hey Aaron - will affinity designer work with .ai files?  That's the illustrator alt right?

Been looking for some graphics tools...

You can place them into PSD files, just like Photoshop, but it's not a fully-featured vector editing program.

For vector editing, you want Affinity Designer.

The movement has begun. The tide it turning. Can you feel it? Join us, my brothers and sisters. Together we will forge a better world!!!!

Oh, wait...I misread your post Mayfly. Nevermind all that stuff above...except the part about "the movement has begun. The tide is turning, etc, etc, etc." That part still applies.

Yes, I Affinity Designer can open AI files (as long as they are PDF compatible), but not save natively. You have to save as PDF to get them back to AI. Info here, about two-thirds down the page: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/full-feature-list/

I'm with you to unseat PS from the throne. Thanks for the link to Affinity. However, it looks like I'm going to stay with GIMP at this time because Affinity only offers Windows or Mac versions. I feel about both those OSs they way I do about PS. It's nice to be free of them both. GIMP works in Linux so that's my go to for now. It would be nice to find a Lightroom replacement, though.

Rgand said:
pirate said:

Only if I can find the neck I want in stock, since an image doesn’t appear when building your own, or of the short scale bass body, which also doesn’t appear, of course if they had one in stock I wouldn’t be building my own anyway :icon_biggrin:

I guess I’ll have to wait and see how the new site works for producing images as you build....

Back