A glimpse at the new website

The Aaron said:
Rgand said:
You can do that yourself with GIMP, PhotoShop or other image software to see what you will have when assembled. You can even mate up a neck to a body the way it would be. I do that a lot to see how different things will look.

OK...now...here is a glimpse into The Aaron's private world.

I am on a crusade to end Adobe's reign of terror. I want them contested in the marketplace, and ultimately toppled. GIMP won't do it, because GIMP sucks.

Here is your Photoshop alternative. It's called Affinity Photo.

It's $50, with free upgrades FOR LIFE. No subscription racket. If you come from PS, you will find the UI is instantly familiar. Same menus, same windows, same hotkeys...everything. You can open, edit, and save PSD files, as well as export to JPG, PSD, and TIF, and all the usual stuff. It has vector tools. It has nearly everything. A few features are more limited than PSD, but others are better. It's all I use at home now, and you should too.

They also make an Illustrator alternative, and an InDesign alternative.

What do we want? To bring about the end of Adobe's evil domination!
When do we want it? NOW!

Why do I feel so passionately about this? Because Adobe locked me out of my legal copy of CS3, which I paid for and owned, in order to compel me to bow to their subscription model.

+1 on Affinity, I have it and it ROCKS! Very good program, and for $50, it's a steal. :headbang:

As you can imagine, everything in the world is not going according to schedule right now.  :glasses9:  We are working on it from home, but we're going to lose at least several months of time at this point.

The Aaron said:
As you can imagine, everything in the world is not going according to schedule right now.  :glasses9:  We are working on it from home, but we're going to lose at least several months of time at this point.
That's OK. We'll be here when it's ready.

It's going to take some time to regroup when we get back to work.  And then after that we restart. I'm in the same boat, but also there are things festering that will explode before we finish regrouping.  It'll be a mess. 

A few of us were involved in Beta testing...no idea though what the timeline is now to roll it out given the current situation...

Any how I think most folks will like the new look.

5-21-2021

Not trying to rant or whatever here, but for the new web site............

Please, please, PUHLEEZE fix the fret choices page.
This has been discussed a few times over the years.
This should be one of the easiest things to do.

- You know what frets you're using on all of your builds (manufacturers, actual part numbers, manufacturers specs, etc etc etc). Use that info. The current info for the 6105 frets is particularly bad. The frets listed as "6105" are not close measurement wise to published specs at all.
- If you're not using Dunlop frets, dump any references to them. If you are using another manufacturer, something with a "similar to Dunlop p/n" might be OK. At that point it's up to the individual to do a little of their own research to figure out what they want to order. The research should not be that hard for people to do. There's this thing called Google......
- This is maybe the toughest part. I'm tempted to suggest dumping any verbage related to medium jumbo, vintage size, mega ultra super maxi jumbo, etc etc etc. However, as a point of reference, it might be OK to include a comment, something like "sometimes referred to as xxxx". I had always thought that terms like "jumbo" referred to the fret height. After doing more than I'd care to admit research over the past couple of months, this appears to not be the case. It appears that the term usually refers to the width. Therefore, the whole verbage thing is confusing.

I was surprised in my research that the Fender web site also has errors in this area.
I guess this is an opportunity for Warmoth to show them how it's done.    ;>))

One more little thing that might be nice concerns fret end beveling.
Show a photo of a neck with beveling, and one without, with strings attached.
Necessary? Or a nice to have? You make the call.

Aaron: Lest you think I'm being critical, I enjoy your Youtube videos and have learned from them. In general they are put together very well IMO.

Another thing that I do like about the web site: The neck back shape section.
You show diagrams, comparisons, actual measurements, etc etc etc.
Guitar Player magazine continually reviews instruments with terms like "modern comfy C shape".
Statements like that have so little information in them that you could stick it in your eye and it wouldn't hurt you.
Maybe we should take up a collection to buy a set of calipers and send it to them.

Sorry for the rant.

After a few decades in software, old well trodden bugs are almost always better than brand new live bugs.

I don't really understand the post about being unable to show the transparent finishes on the visual builder.    If the builder doesn't show the guitar with a mock up of pickguard and finish together, I don't think it would inspire me to start a new project.    Possibly an updated version of the USCG visualizer would be more useful for my purposes.

If Warmoth want to improve the existing builder, I think it would help to have more accurate samples of the plastic colours.  I'm able to accept the wood colours are not accurate, but its hard to see why the mint pickguard looks strongly blue tinted, and many of the pearl colours are not very close.

Finish depth and wood chatoyance depend heavily on stereoscopic vision to provide that critical 3rd dimension, which cameras and their printed/displayed results don't  generally support. Fortunately, Warmoth's photographer's talents and equipment do a yeoman's job, but it's never going to be 100% because of that. Also fortunately, Warmoth's reputation in  this area is stellar - it's very rare you'll hear anything but surprise at how much better things look in real life than they do in the pictures. I've seen some pieces that just defy reality, they're so beautiful. Quilts and flames that are just spectacularly gorgeous and alive., and candy finishes you have to see to believe. So, if you see something figured or finished that looks great on the monitor, chances are real high you're going to be very pleased with the delivered product. They deal exclusively in one-offs online, which are two real hardships to overcome, so it behooves them to do it right the first time.

As far as color-matching goes, you'd be surprised at the discrepancies there are between cameras & monitors, more often the monitors. A good "pre-press" monitor that's been properly calibrated is a wonderful thing, but not something you'll find on phones or laptops, and only rarely on desktops/workstations.

I bet your photography department has been working HARD to get pictures of literally everything you sell, in addition to all the unique veneers and such, and they do such a good job. They deserve a raise!

Back