A cure for wobbly LOCKING trem arms! A CURE I TELL YOU!!

Thanks to this thread I ordered and installed Magik-Arms in two of my guitars last week.  They are awesome! 

69autoXr said:
Thanks to this thread I ordered and installed Magik-Arms in two of my guitars last week.  They are awesome!

I’m so happy for you!  I’m still in love with mine. Decided not to replace the Gotoh 1996t arm, but will absolutely use these on anything else I install going fw. No Floyd or Schaller is complete without one of these. 

fdesalvo said:
69autoXr said:

I’m so happy for you!  I’m still in love with mine. Decided not to replace the Gotoh 1996t arm, but will absolutely use these on anything else I install going fw. No Floyd or Schaller is complete without one of these.

The Gotoh is essentially, their own version of the Floyd Push in arm, which precedes Floyd Rose's version by a couple of decades.  My old one from 1996 is the old style.  The newer Gotoh's have the newer style that is built to tighter tolerances & performs more closely to the Floyd Rose ones.
I'm getting ready to order a newer Gotoh to replace my 23 year old one as the knife edges are finally worn to the point that the bridge no longer can return to zero.

The Gotoh has a hex key that makes the arm not wobble, and Floyd Rose has an upgrade arm like that :)

(I dont like a "loose hanging arm", I want mine to stay in place, so I guess if you want a "hanging arm" maybe the one OP refers to is better for that)

This arm can be loose without losing any of the responsiveness that it has when fixed in place.  I’ve tried the Floyd upgrade and it’s not even close in terms of feel.  My 1996t is closest, but it’s less impressive. 

If I was doing another build with a 1996t, I’d still install the Red Bishop.  Instead of relying on that Delein insert, it uses its incredibly tight manufacturing tolerances to create a wobble-free fit. The collar on it really only impacts the positioning of the bar. 

Rock on 

Ordered three more Magik-Arms last night.  I also got some Floyd Rose goodies via gift card for Christmas, including one of the Old Style arms to try out (just need to figure out which guitar to put it on).

My experience with the FR push-in arms has been mixed.  I have several of them, but with them it's hard to strike a good balance between having them tight enough to not wobble, yet loose enough to rotate freely (I like my bars to hang, ideally).  Other than that, I've also found the FR push-in arms to be inconsistent with regard to their installed height; the first one I received was 1/4" too short, and would hit the volume knob, so I had to make a 1/4" bushing to raise the arm high enough to clear the controls.  Magik-Arms will likely replace most of the push in arms currently installed.

I have a new 1996T from Gotoh that just arrived over the weekend that I'll be installing this week.

First inspection reaction: Far better than the version that I've been playing on for 22+ years.
The bar is drilled from the bottom & threaded which anchors the bar in the hole to minimize movement, and there is far more Teflon to allow fine tuning of the tension on the bar.
I'm impressed so far.

Pretty cool. Can't wait to assemble the guitar.

Attachments

• Foto 16.01.19, 12 03 14.jpg
    Foto 16.01.19, 12 03 14.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 351
  • Foto 16.01.19, 12 04 43.jpg
    Foto 16.01.19, 12 04 43.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 283
Floyd Rose's own push in arm - with the grub screw similar to the Gotoh 510 (except that the Floyd arm doesn't screw in) works perfectly - with no wobble at all...

Back