80s Super Strat Build

Chris_g

I ordered in the middle of February, so I’m hoping my parts will show up soon.  This is my first Warmoth build, but I’m hoping it will be the first of many.  My next build will likely be a Thinline Tele.

For this first build, I’m going for an 80’s super strat style guitar…nothing too crazy.  I’m going for something that on its surface looks like a slightly modified Strat but actually is quite different when you dig into the details. 

Details: Alder Strat body finished in satin shell pink, chrome Floyd rose, 3A roasted Gibson conversion flame maple neck with 1 5/8”nut and Wolfgang carve, roasted flame maple fretboard with abalone dot inlays, white pearl pick guard, and Hipshot open core tuners and the pickups will be Fishman Fluence Open Core Classics in white with custom wiring/switches.

I’ll post pics when the parts arrive.

Looking forward to seeing photos of this - my real question was - are you currently a Fluence classic user? "80s super strat" will always get my attention and of course the Satchel sig uses this pups so I've been considering trying them. No where close to me ever seems to have a guitar with them in stock.

The Classics especially the bridge is great, but in regular mode you'd be just as well with say a JB. If you want the switching option (which I wasn't crazy about) that's a bonus and don't think twice. I've never been a fan of complex wiring and push-pulls and all of that myself but for anyone who is it's a no brainer choice.

I haven't pulled the trigger but ESP has a model I've played a couple times now with the Fluence Classic Set, but the Satchel is kind of interesting. The paint job and body size aren't quite right for me though, Warmoth would be a better way to go for that kind of cash, especially with standard block heel and all of that. Rather have the OFR and some other things done a little more my way. I've become kind of an ESP fan with a couple of their neck profiles and the last couple I bought have been winners.

I'm still waiting on my parts...Spike told me last week my body is in for paint and should be out in the next week.  Everything else is ready to go.  Can't wait!

andy_pandy said:
Looking forward to seeing photos of this - my real question was - are you currently a Fluence classic user? "80s super strat" will always get my attention and of course the Satchel sig uses this pups so I've been considering trying them. No where close to me ever seems to have a guitar with them in stock.

I've played Fluence Moderns and also the single coil set, never tried the Classics.  It's funny you mention the Satchel sig, which is the main reason I'm trying this.  He's got a great modern take on the 80s tone, so I figured I'd give them a whirl.

jay4321 said:
The Classics especially the bridge is great, but in regular mode you'd be just as well with say a JB. If you want the switching option (which I wasn't crazy about) that's a bonus and don't think twice. I've never been a fan of complex wiring and push-pulls and all of that myself but for anyone who is it's a no brainer choice.

I'm not a huge fan of complex switching systems either, but I think I've got a compromise that will give me flexibility and still be easy to use.  I ordered the pick guard without control holes so I can place them where I want.  I plan to emulate the pickup switch and volume control placement used on Music Man JPs (I've got a JP6 and Majesty) and mini-toggles like PRS uses on there "08" configuration guitars.  If you go from the front of the guitar towards the back it's going to be in this order:  3-way toggle, volume, mini 3-way to switch neck pickup modes, mini 3-way to switch bridge pickup modes, and (maybe) master tone.  I'm not sure if I'm going to put the tone in or not, I really almost never use the tone anyway, so I'm thinking about leaving it out.  I like the idea of being able to put each pickup into any of the 3 modes and just leave them there.  I'm particular interested in trying out the neck pickup in single coil mode on clean tones...should be interesting. 

Finally got the word my parts have shipped!  UPS Ground from Tacoma to northern Virginia so they'll be here next week on Tuesday.  Can't wait to get everything over to my tech to have it put together.  I'll post pics of the parts before the build starts.  For those that are curious, I ordered on February 15th.

Parts came in today.  I'm pretty darn thrilled with the results.  The satin Shell Pink is a little different than I thought it would be, but it's still really cool.  Apologies for the crap pics, my photography skills are sorely lacking.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 87
TBurst Std said:
That neck is killer!

I know!  It's a 3A upgrade.  I have to admit I was a little worried because you never know what you're going to get.  I was very happy when I opened the box.

Specs:
- Roasted flame maple neck and fretboard with 3A upgrade
- Gibson conversion
- 1 5/8" nut
- Wolfgang profile
- 10" radius (to match Floyd radius)
- SS6100 Stainless frets
- Abalone dot inlays and side dots
- No finish

All of the parts go to my tech today for assembly.  I'm hoping to have the completed guitar in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait!

The Aaron said:
Chris_g said:
- 1 5/8" nut
- Wolfgang profile

The Aaron approved!!  :headbang:

I actually picked that neck profile because of your description in the neck profile video!  It also doesn't hurt that the specs are similar to my some of my Music Man guitars.

Can you elaborate on the shell pink vs what you expected?  I'm very interested in a satin shell pink for an upcoming build.

The color is not quite as pink as I was expecting.  It leans a little more orange or peach than I thought.  Just a little hint to my eyes.  It’s still pink, just not as pink as I hoped. 

I still like it a lot and have and no regrets.

The build is coming together nicely!  All that's left is to install are a few odd and ends, the Floyd, and then a setup.

The 3-way switch and volume knob are placed similar to a Music Man JP6 and required a little routing of the control cavity for the switch.  The two 3-way mini toggles allow me to switch each of the Fishman Class pickups between the 3 modes individually (mode 1 = classic PAF, mode 2 = hotrodded PAF, mode 3 = single coil).  I also opted to go with the Fishman rechargeable battery in the trem cover, you can see it charging in one of the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 64
Here's the finished product! 

I'm loving pretty much everything about it.  Stays in tune great, the Fishman Classics sound really good.  The neck carve might take a little getting used to, but it'll definitely grow on me.

On to the next build!

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Such a big fan of that faded pink on any build. If I ever pulled the trigger on a custom shop or did another full Warmoth build, I'de go this route. Love the balance of modern/classic. Also a Fishman die-hard, so this just does it for me.

Here's the finished product!

I'm loving pretty much everything about it. Stays in tune great, the Fishman Classics sound really good. The neck carve might take a little getting used to, but it'll definitely grow on me.

On to the next build!
That looks amazing!! Pure 80's shred! And that neck is sick! Great work!!!

Back