'72 Bassman 100

jimh

Hey guys.

So I was in one of my local music shops today, whereupon I spotted a reasonable looking 1972 100W fender bassman. £379 although I could probably knock the guy down a bit. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to try it as I was kinda in a rush. Don't know what condition it was in electrically.

I'm interested in your thoughts on these amps if anybody knows them. Friend of mine has a 50w which reconditioned which is really nice, but I'm not familiar with the 100's

I was waiting on CB too, probably still Drambuied out form last night...

You didn't state which 50w model of Bassman head your friend has that you'd be comparing it to, there's a LOT of different 50w Bassman circuits,
check here for all the schematics to include the Bassman 100: http://www.schematicheaven.com/fender.htm

Basically it's a silverface model with a solid state rectifier that uses a 6L6 quartet instead of the duet to double the wattage output. I never saw anywhere near as many of these as the 50w models, been almost 30 years since I played through one; to the best of my recollection wasn't much different than a 50w head with solid state rectifier, just louder.

The 50w version of the same amp has held up pretty well over the years, but if you're unsure of the condition I'd have it checked out thoroughly by a competent tech before I bought it. That price is for the head only? I haven't seen a 100 in quite a while, here in the States the silverface 50w's can be had for under $500 in good shape or reconditioned.

If there are any special issues with that head/circuit I never heard of them, but CB probably would, you should PM him

Cheers guys.

jackthehack said:
Basically it's a silverface model with a solid state rectifier that uses a 6L6 quartet instead of the duet to double the wattage output. I never saw anywhere near as many of these as the 50w models, been almost 30 years since I played through one; to the best of my recollection wasn't much different than a 50w head with solid state rectifier, just louder.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured.  I think I need to go and take a listen to it.  I'm pretty happy with Valve electronics.  I'm an audio/broadcast engineer by trade, and I've built a few amps (and a Hi-Fi) from scratch now, so if it's knackered I'll screw the guy right down on price, and fix it up.

My buddy Neal's (he works at the same place as me and is a total amp nerd too) amp is an early 70's Silverface 50W (I guess the 50W version of this one), which he bought as 'broken' by some guy in Singapore, got it ridiculously cheap.  He replaced a few duff caps in the power section it jumped back into life and sounded great.  He's since 'Blackfaced' it, but I dont recall exactly what the mods to the circuits were.  Still sounds lovely though. 
Check his band out (shameless plug coming up) http://www.myspace.com/amphibic  :glasses9:
Plenty of modded amps on there and a few warmoth parts too.  A full Warmoth strat (Hum / single / minibucker), and a Tele wiith a Warmoth neck.

Hang on I'm hijacking my own thread here  :laughing7:

I'm 'shopping' again tomorrow, so I'll go and give it a blast and see how it sounds.
Thanks again.

I have a 1964 bassman and the matching cabinet.  I have had it for years, I know nothing about it other than it is a '64, and I might be wrong about that, too.  I have been offered some pretty pennies for it and always turned it down.  Lately I have been thinking of selling it, but I just don't know.  Don't know the specs on it or anything, I just know when I flip the switches on it works, and sound damn good. And loud!!!  I think they are a nice amp, although I get nervous taking it out of the house for fear of something happening to it as I know it is worth a couple of bucks.  That is why I play homebuilt guitars and my Am. Std Strat is in the case where it lives.  Once and a while I will get it out and look at it, but I rarely touch it because I'm aftraid of dropping it.  I have had the guitar for 17 years and it still looks like the day it arrived here other than some wear on the fingerboard (gotta love maple fretboards)  But I'll never sell the guitar unless my kid needs an operation.  I would be more willing to sell one of my kidneys than sell my Fender. 

Sorry for getting off the subject, now go buy that amp!!!!!!

The Bassman 100 is a pretty straight forward amp.  The normal channel is voiced just like guitar amps - and is better for bass than the bass channel.

4x 6L6's, but if you play bass... try some 7581's in it.

It will need minor surgery to fix the stupid bias balance control and make it a bias LEVEL control

I will no doubt need a recap, which you can do yourself for about $30 in parts if you know how to solder. 

Its not "fine" soldering, but you'll need to get the caps in there and suck some old solder from the eyelets etc... not hard.

Bassman 100's are a GREAT head... and... wooohooo... dont want 100 watts?  Pull two tubes, no rebias... 50watts!

Want less?  Put in two 6V6EH's and rebias, and you got 25watts - rebias for about 25ma at idle.

If you want the tone, are willing to do a little work to overcome the ravages of time... they're solid dependable amps.  Recap in 2009, next recap needed in 2034.  Not bad really, considering all things. 

And the tone is THERE too.  These are 4 ohm heads, but can run into a 2 ohm cabinet (or set of 4 ohm cabinets) no issues.  Running into an 8 ohm cabinet would be "ok" but dont run it into 16 ohms or you'll risk the output transformer.

Bassman 100's have a HUGE output tranny... and ROCK-SOLID low end. 

Normal Fender breakup at about 6-1/2 on the dial applies..... damn loud with 4x 6L6s in there, so pulling two is a good option, using 6V6EH's an even better option for small venues (dont forget to rebias).

Thanks CB,

Damn, I was almost hoping that you guys would say it was crap and that I shouldn't go near it. Well now it looks like I'm gonna have spend some money. Got GAS badly.

Not to hijack your thread....

But I do have a question or two about my Bassman was hoping someone (CB?)  could answer. 

How do you tell what the specs for a vintage Fender amp are?  Like I said I have absolutely no idea about what I own.  Can somebody let me know where to begin.  I'll post up whatever it is you need to know to identify what I have.  I'm just curious about it.  It has always been shrouded in mystery about my old amp, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.  Thanks in advance

theklanch said:

But I do have a question or two about my Bassman was hoping someone (CB?)  could answer. 

How do you tell what the specs for a vintage Fender amp are?  Like I said I have absolutely no idea about what I own.  Can somebody let me know where to begin.  I'll post up whatever it is you need to know to identify what I have.  I'm just curious about it.  It has always been shrouded in mystery about my old amp, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.  Thanks in advance

Check the inside of the head - there should be a tube chart glued to the side of the wood just under the chassis.  The model and date code are on this chart.

The model will tell you exactly what the circuit is.  Once you have that, you can get the exact schematic from a variety of on-line sources.

The date code is a bit cryptic:  It's made up of two letters: First one for the year, and the second one for the month. Here's how it works

Year code:
A - 1951
B - 1952
C - 1953
... etc up until
O - 1965

Month code:
A - January
B - Febuary
... up until
L - December.

So if your amp was made in 63, the date code would be "Mx", where 'x' would be the month it was made.

Have a look at let us know what it says.

theklanch said:

But I do have a question or two about my Bassman was hoping someone (CB

Hijack away to your hearts content klanch. I got the answer I (didn't) need :icon_thumright:

theklanch said:

If it's a '64, specs/schematics are here: http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=26

theklanch said:
How do you tell what the specs for a vintage Fender amp are? 

The "specs" are published in a variety of print and on-line places.

As to what model you have, its hard to pinpoint the year, except by the code on the transformers, which hopefully are close to each other.  At this point in time, cabinet codes are very often faked or we just dont see the right cabinet and chassis together because they were swapped at some point.   Some folks have bought three amps, taken parts to make one really nice one, then sold the other two as working but cosmetically not so nice.... so its really the transformer codes.

In general for Bassman amps

Early tweed - dual channel,  5881 or 6L6 tubes (pair) and a single 15 inch speaker.  The very first had a remote "sub" chassis via multiprong corded connection.

Later tweed - still two channels, still 5881's but the more familiar 4x10 combination.  There are variations on the 4x10, with some having cathodyne inverters vs long tail pair etc etc.  They're all good, I prefer the cathodyne inverter, but to each his own medicine.

Early brownface - a very few brownface were made with single fifteen inch piggyback cabinets  These have tan tolex and brown and white faces with oxblood grills, and VERY few were made.  Essentially the transition was from tweed to white tolex....

White tolex - with black faces, single fifteen deep cabinet, wheat grills.  Not many made these are essential transitional blackface amps

Black tolex - a few designs there each one a little quirky but very moddable and these make great amps.  They had single fifteen inch cabinets, still running the 6L6 combination (or 5881s).

Silver face with gutter strip - a 1968 to early 69 amp, like the blackface but with upgraded cosmetics

Silver face - made from mid 69 to 84ish, these were in several variations as to bias and such, tone stacks varied but all are good workable amps and with a spare wire or minor rearrangement of stuff, can be made to sound like the excellent blackface ones

Notable - Bassman 100 is 100 watts, Bassman 10 is a 4x10 silverface combo, some made with the terrible master volume control that push/pulls for boost.... and other "bassman" series.  The Bassman 50 was the mainstay of 50 watt amps.   This is when fifty watts was driven by valves and had balls enough to do what todays 300watt silicon amps try and do.   And all that with natural compression too.

When you get an old amp, pull the chassis and have a real good look at the layout and compare it to the schematic or wiring diagram.   Thats how you can fully know for sure, which sub variation it is.  

Ok before I start ripping my amp apart I thought I would put some pics of it up to see what you fender guru's tell me about it.
m_2b2820a1e16846a8a0147d508a945665.jpg

m_3d82c9ff9df9428aaaef2d2fbe8bce11.jpg

m_b573607ecf944d8cb840fb7d352ee234.jpg

Ok I know this is blurry this sticker says around the outside of the circle: Approved for electric safety, Department of building and safety City of Los Angeles Founded 1784.  This is what the sticker has printed on it then the this number is stamped across the middle of the sticker in black: 798163 E
Finally to the right of the sticker in the chassis this number is stamped in the metal: BP06124
m_658b91fd3a7440998d177a0c39917e70.jpg

Thanks in advance foe helping me identify this amp.....

That would most definitely be one of these: http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=26

If you want the exact year of manufacture, there should be a tube guide on the left hand inside of the cab when looking from the back per Mayfly's post above. You should be able to read it using a flashlight without having to disassemble anything...

Hey Guys.

I bought the 72 Silverface.  It's in pretty reasonable condition but needs new output tubes (3 of them look OK, but one of them is glowing blue).  I'll probably re-cap the power supply as a matter of course, but generally it's OK.

Answer me this......

CB - You mentioned that I could pull 2 of the output tubes, and not need to re-bias.  Is there a preference as to which two I pull?  ie, the two centre ones or the two outer ones?

Also, if I replace with like for like 6L6GC's will I need to re-bias it at all? 
I know that by rights, you should re-bias ANY time you change the tubes, and If I replace with a different derivative of 6L6 then I'd have to re-bias.

Cheers

Jim

jackthehack said:
That would most definitely be one of these: http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=26

If you want the exact year of manufacture, there should be a tube guide on the left hand inside of the cab when looking from the back per Mayfly's post above. You should be able to read it using a flashlight without having to disassemble anything...

Yep - to determine if it's a 6G6-A or 6G6-B (as well as they year it was made) we need to see that tube label on the inside of the head.  The sticker you quoted is just the safety inspector's mark - kinda interesting but does not tell us much.

Looks pretty clean and unmolested though.  Nice amp!

Definitely a beautiful blonde there klanch.  No wonder people have made you some offers.

Thanks guys.  The only thing wrong with it is someone decided to paint it black probably 20 years before I got it.  There is black paint that in the depressions of the tolex, and the light doesn't work anymore, but that is it.  We were told the original speakers are in it, but as I said I have never been inside this amp.  I scrubbed the back of the speaker cabinet a while back and the paint came off, so I know I could get the rest of it off, I'm just lazy.  When I first got it I was originally going to have it recovered and sell it, but then I plugged a guitar into it and was blown away with how awesome it sounds.....  So it is part of the family now.  Somewhere around here I have the brown vinyl dust cover for it too, although it is really in bad shape.

I am kind of a purist when it comes to vintage stuff......  I don't like to mess with something that is in factory original condition if I know that someday it'll be worth something that way.  My old man has a '72 Corvette with 9500 original miles and an inch of dust on it!!!  He hasn't driven it in about 25 years, I know it is a shame it was meant to be driven, but he bought it new and it is his, who am I to say anything to him.  I have that same logic with my stuff.  My Strat is bone stock, nothing done to it at all, I still use .009's on it because the intonation was perfect from the factory, even though I use .010's on all my other guitars.  I guess I'm funny that way.

I guess if the right offer comes down the pike............ maybe.  It is part of my "sound"

Back