7 String guitars do sell...

FlyingV

Obviously 7 string guitars are not a "fad". If Warmoth would show some interest in 7 strings they stand to do well. Nobody offers the wood choices Warmoth does, not to mention all the other options available. For 6 string Warmoth guitars anyways.

Not saying everything Warmoth in a six string has to be available in 7 strings. The current 7 string option, well, why even bother if that is the extent of your effort? Warmoth must not sell more than a few a year. No wonder they think 7 strings are not worth the effort I guess.

Offer the basics in body choices - Super Strat, Tele, LP, V, Explorer, Semi-Hollow double cut 335 type.

Offer a couple of scale sizes that make sense. The current 25" and 28 5/8 are at opposite extremes and neither are remotely popular.
Try offering 25.5, 27 if only two choices. Those would both sell in number that would dwarf the current odd scale options.

Smooth neck heel and the above choices and Warmoth would sell a decent amount of 7 strings. Such a shame that Warmoth offers so many options but us 7 stringers who have been buying Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, Kiesel-Carvin etc can't take advantage of all the great things Warmoth has to offer.  :dontknow:

I also would like to see different scales. I think my schecter 7 is 26", and it is perfect for me.

Timmsie95 said:
I also would like to see different scales. I think my schecter 7 is 26", and it is perfect for me.

+1
Your Schecter is 26.5" scale. I think a lot of people, if they did not know in advance, wouldn't even notice the difference from a 25.5 scale. It is not that big of an adjustment to play as long as they were already used to a 7 string vs a six string width fret board.

I have 25.5/26.5/27/27.5 scale seven strings. I think 27.25 would be perfect for me as I down tune 3 half steps from standard "B" seven string tuning. The 27" does ok too. The 26.5 [my 2006 Schecter Loomis] gets a bit floppy with that tuning unless I go to about .72 on the low B string. I kind of prefer the thinner strings the longer scale gives me with good tension.

That said, Schecter sells a lot of 26.5 scale seven strings. It is a good option for people used to 25.5 scale guitars and still lets you down tune some with good tension.  :guitaristgif:

It really bums me out that I can't take advantage of a lot of the fantastic Warmoth options on a 7 string [body shapes, exotic woods, neck profiles, scalloped fret board option, fret size, bridge options, pick up routing options etc .... damn  :help:

FlyingV said:
I think a lot of people, if they did not know in advance, wouldn't even notice the difference from a 25.5 scale.

I beg to differ. I think most people would find it extremely weird going to something that long. Musicians that have played for many years on an instrument with a certain scale length, is something they feel very comfortable with, so much that the can place their hands anywhere on the neck without looking and knowing exact what note (fret) they're on.
I've recently come to realize that my preferred scale length is 24" and now understand why it's so hard playing certain things on a 25,5" neck.

I am also quite convinced that you don't need the extra length to be able to downtune.

Those are my 2 cents ...

To downtune? No. My son has a 20" scale bass that plays at concert pitch.  But it has rubber strings.

Playing in tune is another matter. Enharmonicity is real. Check out this:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/10064-string-gauges-inharmonicity.html

My arms and fingers are freakishly long, so I don't have a problem with any scale length, and it's easy for me to adjust to any scale. My #1 guitar has been my Les Paul Standard since 2009, and i had no problem adjusting to my Schecter, haha.

As for the scale length vs. string tension thing, there's entire threads dedicqted to that. But I do notice a difference, especially playing in drop A or B, between my SG or Les Paul (24 3/4), my schecter avenger syn custom, 25.5"), and the schecter 7 string avenger (apparently 26.5, haha) the gibsons are definitely floppier, the schecter syn custom a bit less, and the 7 string better still. I also use ernie ball power slinky's on most guitars, and skinny top heavy bottom's on the syn.
No matter what people say, I do believe the scale and the string gauge matter when it comes to the "tightness" of the instrument.
If you only play in standard tuning, you won't notice that big of a difference I don't think, but when you're tuning so low, I believe it matters.

A seven string VIP would be beautiful. I'd make it the big brother to the one I'm building now  :laughing7:

Never said you couldn't disagree  :rock-on: or even down tune any shorter scale guitar.

That being said, if you think your going to have the same action/set-up tuning down more than about a half step from standard tuning then I beg to differ  :icon_tongue:

Playing in tune is important isn't it lol  :laughing7:

Anyways, the point is options for Warmoth 7 string guitar buyers. There are very few now. There could be many. That is all  :eek:ccasion14:

I'm just guessing, but typically, the answer to a business decision is to "follow the money". Warmoth's options for 7 string may largely driven by the economics. Remember, Warmoth does not exist to produce guitars for you, they exist to make a profit. They do that by selling guitars (not stocking shelves with options) that return them a profit. Warmoth didn't switch to the double lam top because it is a superior product, they did it because it is still an acceptable product that we continue to purchase, and it can produce them more profit than the slab tops. Setups and tooling cost money, a certain number of units must be sold to recoup the investment before profit is realized.

All that to say this - if you can demonstrate to Warmoth how they can either 1) Make a profit, or 2) At least break even (when compared to 6 strings), then they may be motivated to consider your suggestions. If it costs them money to produce an option, we likely won't see it.

Having been both a Warmoth Employee in the past, and a 7 string proponent for many years, I can say this.

My eyes were opened and and a harsh reality learned from a business perspective when I worked there.

As emotionally attached to the 7 string as I am, it still doesn't appropriate itself from a business perspective in light of what Warmoth is.

Warmoth is NOT a guitar manufacturer.  Warmoth makes "Guitar Parts" with a very specific market in mind which has become their niche'.

Seven strings represent a very, very slim margin when it comes to the overall market.  Additionally, licenses do cost money, and some companies are not all that hip on allowing a license to make replacement bodies and necks for their product, in accordance with their majority market specification.  Most of the companies that are making 7 string guitars would fall into this category. 

To make a guitar body and/or neck that would be a workaround to this loop hole would require considerable $$ to invest into R&D, prototypes, and quality control in comparison to the actual orders perceived is a gamble.

When I was there, for a week just shy of a year, the total amount of inquiries, was less than one 10th of 1 percent, and the amount of actual orders was even less than that. 

Considering that Warmoth is still a family owned small business, less that 50 employees, that's not a lot of operating capital to allocate towards a product line that won't recuperate those costs back in actual sales in the first year, therefore, not financially viable of an investment.

We can attach our emotions to it all we want, but in the end, it's still "Supply and Demand", and I've seen from the inside how that actually works, had my own emotional bubble burst, and have moved on.

I may not like it, but it is what it is, and if larger companies would consider extending a license in a cost effective manner, then it may warrant further investment into, but not until then.  It has to see itself realized in profits in as quick of a turnaround time as possible from the point of investment.

I can tell you this, it is not likely that the two major manufacturing brands that are from Asian countries are not going to license the building of replacement bodies/necks of their brand, nor even a remote derivative of their styles, without charging a prohibitively expensive rate to do so, simply to discourage a purchase of such and item, which then directs the consumer back to the originator of those styles.

Gibson did this over the last few years, look at how a great deal of body styles/headstock shapes got pulled from the product line.

Yes, 7 string guitars do sell, but there are other business related issues involved, and it's never as black and white as one would hope.

putting it out the that as theres much less variety in the 7 string production market i know i'ld be up for warmothing up something a bit unique or that i cant usually get as a 7

Back