7/8 body and brightness

spe111 said:
Shorter scale guitars definitely sound different. It's hard to say one sounds better than the other, I have heard a good sounding guitar in every scale length.

I think the easiest way to illustrate is to listen to a D-18 vs a Gibson Hummingbird. Pretty similar in materials and construction, different scale length. 

Scale length obviously also has a pretty big impact on how a guitar feels to play.

Martin OM vs 000 are exactly the same but the scale lenght - 25.34" vs 24.9". There are some videos comparing them on Youtube...

But good to hear our friend decided to pull the trigger, hope you enjoy it! :)

fdesalvo said:
Late to the party, but I’ve had two shorter scale strats that were incredibly stratty. I kept heavier gauge strings on them (11’s for tension and snap) and bolted on thick maple necks.  That’s where strat tone lives for me. 

Yep! That too... I use EB 011-054 on standard tunning and 012-056 on half step below

It's been quite a while. Finishing the guitar with dye and poly took significantly longer than expected due to some mistakes forcing me to start over... twice.

A few weeks ago I started to experience some wrist pain—it's gone now, but I'm taking ergonomics much more seriously. So I decided on 10 gauge strings instead of 11's as I had been planning. I'm very happy with the shorter neck scale, which means I don't have to reach as far, and the lighter strings, which means I don't have to work as hard.

The guitar doesn't have the tight snappiness associated with Fenders, but I'm pretty sure that's mostly the string choice. But the guitar is nonetheless bright... like, insanely bright. I got the brightest pickups I could find—Dimarzio Super 2's—and added a coil split switch. I realize the sound probably isn't for everyone, but it is for me. It almost sounds like one of those Boss acoustic simulator pedals, except without all the hiss... Sweet!

Long story short: I couldn't be happier with my new guitar! Thanks for the responses and encouragement.

Attachments

• gtr copy.jpg
    gtr copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 241
That looks good. I like the white PG with all the HBs in it. On that color, it's particularly nice.

The Aaron said:

LOL....ya, the pickups in the video are not yer standard Tele pickups.

If I were going for a 24 fret guitar, I would choose the 7/8, for playability alone. The upper fret access of a "native" 24 fret guitar will be better than that of a 24-fret extension neck on a full-size Strat or Soloist body. That would make a bigger difference in my enjoyment of the guitar than any possible, slight difference in "snap", that may or may not even exist.
My $0.02.

I think you're $0.02 are spot on.  I've watched that 7/8th vid a few times and really paid attention to hand positioning and high fret accessability.

I'm in the process of building a Tele (my 1st build) and am already contemplating another but different guitar.  The 7/8th is at the top of the list of potential build ideas.  Seems to hit a lot of sweet spots for me.

Back