59 vs SRV profile. Anyone played both?

Johnfv

The 59 Roundback profile has been my favorite since I got my first all Rosewood neck (59 Roundback of course). I have 3 of them now, the 59 profile makes my old standard thin necks feel wimpy in comparison. :)  I'm considering trying an SRV, anyone own both?  I'd love to hear comparisons, I searched but didn't find much here.

I have played the standard thin, SRV, the '59 and the FAT. I like the assymetric contour of the SRV, it has the best feel of all the necks I have played but it is too thin for me. It depends what you think about the '59, if you think you wouldn't like fatter profiles try the SRV. If you are like me who wants a thicker '59 on the first frets the SRV will be too thin for you. I suggest you try an assymetric contour if you can find a guitar with one. I like it so much I plan on ordering a thick assymetric neck on another company.

Thanks for the reply. Compared to the 59 the SRV feels too thin at the lower frets? I like the 59, I don't really want anything fatter than that.

I have one of each.  I prefer the 59 to the SRV but only slightly so.  My two necks are about as different as possible.
Strat neck: 59 Roundback, mahogany w/Ebony, MOP dots, Graph Tech tusq xl nut, schaller lockers, gloss finish.VI
VIP Warmoth neck: SRV, wenge w/bloodwood, black dots, Floyd Rose nut, grover tuners, no finish

I chose the SRV because it was thicker than the Wolfgang overall.  I honestly can't complain about either neck.  I don't explicitly have a favourite guitar, but I pick up the strat more often. I've had that one significantly longer.
Maybe it's the profile, maybe it's the wood/finish, maybe it's the body to which it's connected. I can't say.

If you dig the EVH feel but want more girth, then go SRV, especially if you want to stay in the 1 11/16" nut width over the 1 5/8".
Especially if you're a Strat or Tele player that plays with the guitar slung low and you do the "thumb-over" country licks.

If you like the way an LP feels for the most part, and it's comfy all around, then the '59 may more to your liking.

Thanks for the replies guys. My first Rosewood 59 is 1-5/8" and I love it. I was thinking go with  1-11/16" on the SRV. I welcome any other experiences people can share.

My SRV was my first Warmth neck and I really like it, at lot.  Up to that point, I had only played Fender standard thin necks and it is far superior to that size, for me anyway. So, my next three necks were SRV profile.
I ended up ordering a 59' round back because it was a showcase neck that I fell in love with.
I was really nervous though, thinking it was going to be to fat for my small hands. 
Just the opposite; it is the perfect size for me and I can still do the thumb over the back for low E's when needed.
I also have a Clapton profile and hate it.  I have a real hard time playing that neck and hardly ever play that guitar because of that.  I need to trade it in on a 59'
:rock-on:

Black Dog said:
...I ended up ordering a 59' round back because it was a showcase neck that I fell in love with.
I was really nervous though, thinking it was going to be to fat for my small hands...
Exactly. I went for a 1-5/8" 59 profile from the showcase and loved it. Some of my thinnest necks (one Fender, one Warmoth) I can hardly stand at this point. I definitely do a "bad form" thumb position. So should I just stay with the 59 or is the SRV worth a try?

Again thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

am i the only one that didn't like the SRV? my problem with it is that it feels like what it is supposed to copy. a neck that has been over played and sanded and refinnished too any times. where the back contour meets the fingerboard on the bottom side is a bit of a wedge. despite being thinner the EVH has a little more meat right there, less wedge shape. that's what i will chose next. i also have a fat. pretty nice but i may reshape it a little. i think i'd have trouble picking between a 59 and a EVH. i've played wolfgangs and axis evh models and love them but i've also played les pauls with thick necks and they are great too.

Johnfv said:
Black Dog said:
...I ended up ordering a 59' round back because it was a showcase neck that I fell in love with.
I was really nervous though, thinking it was going to be to fat for my small hands...
Exactly. I went for a 1-5/8" 59 profile from the showcase and loved it. Some of my thinnest necks (one Fender, one Warmoth) I can hardly stand at this point. I definitely do a "bad form" thumb position. So should I just stay with the 59 or is the SRV worth a try?

I don't know, if you like the 59' and just want to try an SRV, it's a rather high price for a trial.
But you might keep your eye on a decent SRV in the showcase or screamin' deals. 
You can always sell it off if you hate it.  :dontknow:

Black Dog said:
...I don't know, if you like the 59' and just want to try an SRV, it's a rather high price for a trial...
Agreed. That's why I was asking. I'll probably stick with a 1-5/8" 59 profile, that one is about perfect for me.

Lot to be said for consistency. You can get used to anything, but if things change on you all the time, you keep having to take the time to adapt.

Back