59 Roundback - I need some lead players' perspectives, please.

Daze of October said:
Just based upon the sketches on W's site, the '59RB looks like it would be the great choice for myself also, but I'm just apprehensive about it, as with any of the necks, because it's a chance.  While I like my Wizard neck, I do find myself wishing for something a little bit beefier or more "substantial."

You can get used to anything if you practice enough. Give it 2 or 3 months and that '59 roundback will feel like an old slipper.

The problem is if you have a several guitars. Not all old slippers are alike.

Cagey said:
Daze of October said:
Just based upon the sketches on W's site, the '59RB looks like it would be the great choice for myself also, but I'm just apprehensive about it, as with any of the necks, because it's a chance.  While I like my Wizard neck, I do find myself wishing for something a little bit beefier or more "substantial."

You can get used to anything if you practice enough. Give it 2 or 3 months and that '59 roundback will feel like an old slipper.

The problem is if you have a several guitars. Not all old slippers are alike.

How true!  I find myself gravitating towards the W, first and foremost, but since being without it, I've been almost exclusively playing the KV2.  Given that I purchased the KV2 just as a means to flip for profit (I really don't like Vs), I never really cared much for it (the body), but this neck is amazing.  The KV2 has really grown on me since the absence of my W and I just could not bring myself to part with it unless I stumble upon either a USA Warrior or Star with the same exact neck profile and in the same excellent condition...and for $1000 or less.

In the immortal words of Stephen Stills...

"And if you can't be with the one you love... love the one you're with!"

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Peace, love, dope. That'll end The War! <grin>

Y'know - there's a lot to be said for the body as well, when you're talking about the neck. They sit/hang different. I recently had the opportunity to play an old Gibson Moderne and was quite surprised to like it. A lot. The way the thing hung was just... perfect. I'm surprised they didn't find that same balance point/neck access on other models.

Although, now that I think about it, that's just silly. Just because it was perfect for me doesn't mean anybody else would want those dimensions.

After owning several guitars(les pauls, strats, hamers, ibanez,etc.) I completed my first build this summer. The 59 roundback to me is the perfect neck. I took a chance and ordered th 1 3/4 nut and to me this is the best neck i have ever played. From chords to playing solo's I feel like I have been handicapped in the past by the 1 11/16 on most of the guitars listed above. In all honesty I have a hard time playing my other guitars now and will probably build more with the 1 3/4 nut and list some of my others on ebay. Everybodies hands, attack and playing styles are different but I don't have really long fingers(more thick) and was really surprised how much a difference it made for me.

vjm said:
After owning several guitars(les pauls, strats, hamers, ibanez,etc.) I completed my first build this summer. The 59 roundback to me is the perfect neck. I took a chance and ordered th 1 3/4 nut and to me this is the best neck i have ever played. From chords to playing solo's I feel like I have been handicapped in the past by the 1 11/16 on most of the guitars listed above. In all honesty I have a hard time playing my other guitars now and will probably build more with the 1 3/4 nut and list some of my others on ebay. Everybodies hands, attack and playing styles are different but I don't have really long fingers(more thick) and was really surprised how much a difference it made for me.

My small hands require a thin neck, but not "Wizard" thin.
'Good thing not all my body parts are small. That would be a real bummer.
:toothy12:

You mean you have big ears, too??  :icon_biggrin:

Street Avenger said:
vjm said:

My small hands require a thin neck, but not "Wizard" thin.
'Good thing not all my body parts are small. That would be a real bummer.
:toothy12:

The boatneck and fatback are drastically different, even though both are 1" top to bottom. I find that smaller necks are more cramp-inducing, though I have thoroughly normal hands. And a round-shouldered neck - what's often called a "D" shape - feels much bigger than it's nominal thickness, like it's got wood in all the wrong places.

got wood in all the wrong places. hmmm oughta be a country song in thet, thar....

Back