'54 Goldtop Tele

jackthehack

Epic Member
Well, still waiting for the parts to GO in the box and my QuantumView message...the days seem to go by slower when you're waiting...

At any rate, here's the concept from the guitar generator website:

54gttele.JPG

I've always thought a Goldtop Tele Jr. would be an awesome looking guitar. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. I'd go with a cherry mahogany back, what plans do you have?

Was going to do it more like the original (not the rare all-gold model), see the pix of 52-55's on this page:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/lpgold0.html

Had to custom order the body and neck, ordered mahogany/rosewood neck with trapezoid inlays and bound mahogany body with LP routing and maple top; I may not be able to do the finish as per the original if the mahogany on neck/body don't match close enough, in that case I'll have to go a darker brown; '50s Gold Top models never came in the dark cherry back finish....

No carve on top; that was the closest I could get to a gold top finish on the guitar generator page....

Cool build, I like it.
Is it going to be a Teleson or Gibocaster?
Or Telepaul?
Or Les-o-caster?

Great minds... I had worked on something like this about 8 months ago.  Different controls, more traditional, but... In general, I LIKE IT!~

You got a pic on that, CB? And as I've gotten side notes on it, Warmoth will custom cut routing not normally offered on a body style like the LP switch toggle and control cavity with V-V-T-T controls for $45 per route, although it's not anywhere I ever saw on the website.

I've got the ReRanch repro primer and gold top paint to do the color coats on the top; will fill/dye the back to try and match the original Gibson '54 finish (see link above for some nice pics of 52-56 LP Gold Tops) unless the neck/body mahogany natural colors don't match up that well, in that case I'll have to go a darker brown, I think. Then, lots of nitro to finish her up...

jackthehack said:
You got a pic on that, CB? And as I've gotten side notes on it, Warmoth will custom cut routing not normally offered on a body style like the LP switch toggle and control cavity with V-V-T-T controls for $45 per route, although it's not anywhere I ever saw on the website.

I did a mock up - gotta see if I saved it.  I spoke to Ken on the LP route too... for the thinlines.... but yes, he was VERY helpful on doing something a little special.

Naw I didn't save it.  Maybe Vic's got a copy.  He was droolin' over the concept like a pensioner eating Gerbers!~

Well it does look killer.  How about making it more Gibson-like by using the LP headstock, and a TOM or badass wraparound?

Back