30 Scale option for ALL Guitar Necks Please everybody vote

Would you like to see warmoth producing 30 scale guitar necks for all guitars to make them baritone?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 80.0%

• Total voters
C

crossroads044

WOuldnt those of your tying to build a baritone guitar want a full 30 scale instead of 28 . Well please tell warmoth. Please everybody vote.

there's already a 30" available for bass.  seems like it would be a touch long for a baritone.
i'd like a bari some day, but nowhere near soon.

I don't know if this is the reason or not, but increasing the scale length to 30" might mean the bridge would have to be relocated. Warmoth's parts are all about ease. You can use their 28.625", 25.5", and 24.75" scale necks on the same bodies.

I don't feel I have enough experience with baritones to have a qualifying opinion or vote on this. But I think that JaySwear is on to something as to why W uses the 28" scale.

Its my next guitar, but I think 28 sounds perfect, but then I just want to tune it to D, certainly no lower than C# and string it with normal gauges.

String length for guitar gauges might be an issue with a 30"er.

meh your only 4/5 off with a 30 scale neck, might aswell get a six string bass  :icon_thumright:

While I don't want Warmoth to offer 30" scale necks for all their guitars, I would like them to add a few options to the existing 30" Bass6.  Like a decent bridge and more headstock shapes.

For people who like the Fender Bass IV in concept, but want something a little different, more options then the standard bass six body/neck would be nice.  I would love to have a 30" LP carved top.  Or something to compete more with the Music Man Silhouette Bass.

One of the issues is changing the Bridge or Headstock may change the length of the strings needed.  After playing a Fender Bass IV for a while I ended up with a Schecter Hellcat IV.  Strings made for the Fender don't work because they are too long.  Ernie Ball strings for the Music Man Silhouette Bass are too short.  I must either buy strings from Schecter or after some pushing from a group on Facebook La Bella made a custom run for the Hellcat IV. 

William J. Nelson

Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious, but how does it matter if the strings are too long?

Unless you have a Steinberger-style headless instrument with double ball-end strings, can't you just cut them to the right length?

Well when your on about bass or bass/guitar hybrids, alot of good quality string sets have a certain length at the top coated in  material , and you want the material to end above the nut not on it or after it, sometimes strings are too short for this, or theyre too long and too much of this coated end is taken off.
Correct me if im wrong i just had dealings like this with my z bass where the strings were a long set, but not long enough for the string through option, as the material end specially on the b string would be going on/over the nut.

The low E and  A have to taper to fit the guitar string sized holes in the tuning pegs and the taper on the Fender strings starts too late (2 inches is too much to wind around the peg).

William J. Nelson

Not an issue for me, I wouldn't be using coated or tapewound strings.  But I'm still misunderstanding.  Better too long than too short.  So what if the coating is past the nut or around the tuning key.

The Fender pegs may be too small, but when building one, you have more choices.  A Fender shortcoming with their tuning key size shouldn't be what sets the standard for a custom parts company offering the same Fender flawed bridge.

Ah right ive probably got the wrong end of things, apologies, and ive never tried a bass VI so dont know bout them , sorry, :doh:
Would like to though.

I have wondered if Fender strings would fit if you used a Bigsby B5 tremolo.  Get the bridge routing but not the tremolo routing.    The Ernie Ball strings would likely fit with a standard Fender bridge.  Although I really want a hard tail, a TOM with Stop or a TOM and body through strings. 

William J. Nelson

Some probably wouldn't relate, but I would really like to see a 30" seven string option. Especially if they could route some of the 6-string body shapes for a 7-string - that would be hard to resist.

Part of the problem is that because Warmoth doesn't offer a lot of options like this, the people who would be all over them don't frequent these boards, and look to other companies for their needs, so there could be a perception problem with how much demand there would actually be just based on these responses alone.

Executor said:
Part of the problem is that because Warmoth doesn't offer a lot of options like this, the people who would be all over them don't frequent these boards, and look to other companies for their needs, so there could be a perception problem with how much demand there would actually be just based on these responses alone.

That's very true. I'm sure Warmoth gets emails saying "Hey, I'd really like to see ______." But another thing is that Warmoth has options that just are not listed on their website. I think the general perception of Warmoth around the web is that they're a custom company in name only, but they really stick to the stock-type guitars more than often. I think they do way more custom work than people give them credit for.

Back