24 fret with modern strat body ?

hopkinWFG

Dear DIYers,

I been intrigued by a charvel build type clone ie like a guthrie govan style or any 24 fret neck that can fit in nicely with a modern strat type body with full easy access at the lower horn cutaway...

I have browsed thru this forum having seen many completed projects with 24 frets neck but the lower body cutaway dont seems to anticipate for easy or full 24 fret access....

I was wondering if Warmoth have an option for a deeper lower body cutaway suited for 24 neck attachments?

I heard the OFR non fine tuners is already an option here at warmoth too?

Maybe have a look at the Soloist? It's kind of a "modern" Strat, with deeper cutaways on the horns and less radius on the body...

SL623a.jpg

Still has the forearm relief, tummy cut and contoured neck heel, and of course you can put any vibrato/bridge and control scheme in you'd like. It's like a Strat that's been designed for a 24 fret neck. Comes in flat or carved top. Being a Strat lover who shies away from "vintage" stuff, this is one of my favorite bodies.

Cagey said:
Maybe have a look at the Soloist? It's kind of a "modern" Strat, with deeper cutaways on the horns and less radius on the body...

SL623a.jpg

Still has the forearm relief, tummy cut and contoured neck heel, and of course you can put any vibrato/bridge and control scheme in you'd like. It's like a Strat that's been designed for a 24 fret neck. Comes in flat or carved top. Being a Strat lover who shies away from "vintage" stuff, this is one of my favorite bodies.

No... i have too many soloist, i would wanna getta classic look thicker on the body and the rounder horn less sleak looking.

I heard 7/8 strat has a deeper lower cutaways ? But i hear the neck pocket only suits a type of neck thou? I have to take a look at the warmoth site again...

I wouldn’t say they are deeper.  Instead the body and bridge placement is designed for a 24 fret neck.  Because it is designed for a 24 fret neck, access is like a Std Strat with a 21-22 fret neck.

TBurst Std said:
I wouldn’t say they are deeper.  Instead the body and bridge placement is designed for a 24 fret neck.  Because it is designed for a 24 fret neck, access is like a Std Strat with a 21-22 fret neck.

Well... have checked what you have mentioned but i guess the 7/8 is for smaller scale length thou....

I have no idea if warmoth could help route a modern strat body a tad deeper on its lower horn cutaway if i were to order one with a 24 fret neck ?

You could call and ask, but I'd bet dollars to donut holes the answer would be no. Those are cut out on CNC machines, which would mean reprogramming the thing to do what you want. Lotta time and testing involved, probably cost you thousands of dollars.

A couple of things that have not been pointed out so far.

A 24 fret neck on a Strat body has the fingerboard extended to accommodate the extra frets.

If you order a contoured heel at the rear of the body there is some improved access not visible from the front of the body which may help.

A 7/8 body and neck is closer to what you want but has a 24 3/4 scale.

Finally, an OFR recessed rout is available and is an off-menu option for an additional $45.

Thanks for you guys help and honest opinions.... well i may figure out to do a soloist then or else just do a modern strat with 22 frets....

In anycase my interest be one all roasted body and neck thou. Since i gotta Fender FSR in all roasted wood it just feel and plays so well... i couldent think of doing another strat really unless i go with classic charvel style which is something nice too...

Another thing is that has anybody tried DIY a strat that has close proximity of a Tyler strat tone ? Has anybody figure out whats Tyler secret key ingredients besides dropping a secret humbucker on a DIY strat to sound close enough like a Tyler guitar ?

Back