20" radius

Have you tried the 16" radius? Warmoth does offer a 16" radius neck option. The difference between a 20" radius and a 16" radius is less than 1/64th of an inch at the heel of the neck.

j_fountain2 said:
Have you tried the 16" radius? Warmoth does offer a 16" radius neck option. The difference between a 20" radius and a 16" radius is less than 1/64th of an inch at the heel of the neck.

yeah I've tried a 16" inch thats what my old 95 jackson reverse dinky was.

So warmoth currently is making their necks standard at 10-16 compound radius, correct?

My necks(warmoth) feel pretty flat up top, hard to imagine a 20 inch radius.  I am really digging the 10-16, can't imagine improving on that.

Knowing what little I know, I have no idea why you would want a flatter radius towards the nut. No one bends strings there much anyway.

Wouldn't it be easier to just ask them to make it flat, no radius at all? I feel like that would be less work, from a machining sense.

Alfang said:
So warmoth currently is making their necks standard at 10-16 compound radius, correct?

My necks(warmoth) feel pretty flat up top, hard to imagine a 20 inch radius.  I am really digging the 10-16, can't imagine improving on that.

Knowing what little I know, I have no idea why you would want a flatter radius towards the nut. No one bends strings there much anyway.

I bend every where I don't play the blues. I play neo classical shred

WarmothRules said:
Alfang said:

How does musical style have anything to do with where you bend??  I bend everywhere I play the blues  :)

Phrygian said:
WarmothRules said:
Alfang said:

I find I also have an easier time sweep picking with a flat radius. I sweep pick any where from the top 24th fret down to the lowest frets.

How does musical style have anything to do with where you bend??  I bend everywhere I play the blues  :)

I find I sweep pick better on a flat radius also, I sweep pick anywhere from the high 24th fret down to the lowest of frets,  A strait 16 is fine though. I would get 20" if it were avalible.

like a holdsworth has a 21 inch radius

lol

no u cant ust make the board flat retardo

there has to be at least some curvature on this that is for th string height, or else if it were flat, your inner strings would be lower than your outer

LIKE DUH

think mcfly

but seriously maybe a 16-20 inch compound radius would be nice!

my classical guitars have a flat fret board!
and ya dont even bend nylon strings.

neo classical, isn't that an oxymoron. classical shred now there is another one. i've never been to impressed with anything shred. just another excuse for a guy with tight pants to love himself, i'm not making noise it's music, what can be more musical than classical? i dunno i just couldn't imagine sitting at home relaxing to yngwe malmstein or whoever. ya can't listen to it and ya can't dance to it what enjoyment can ya get from it?

wow i'm being a jerk. that had nothing to do with the post, where did that come from?

get ur head checked man

dhred and metal, can be just as relaxing...you just have to be familiar with it

your comparing apples and oranges,  for a classical argument, well classical guitars dont need to be built to he tight tolerance as solid bodies...and u cant compare them  i mean for petes sake the string heights and freboard setup is completely different

but if we are talking about electric guitars without nylon strings....then...yeah ur argument isnt supported

altho ive heard of fretless guitars with a flat fingerboard, seen it played once or twice, but still heardimperfections with the whole concept and all

I agree with Dimitri.  However, I like watching shredders.  Especially JerryC; that guy's music has some soul, whereas Malmsteen has none.

get urself checked, malstein is a great guitarist and has mad soul

watch chuck shuldiner

wach brian carroll
buckethead

watch kirk hammet

watch the young muhamed sucimez

your telling me one of these guys play with soul...if anything they play with more soul than ur average REDUNDANT blues player...whos sonic abilities are as small as his....

I agree with dbw, his guitar (malmsteen)might as well be played by a robot, it's impressive for about 30 seconds, then, what's the point?

wow thats too fr fetched he plays a strat like a fast axe...man u guys dont see the skill do you??

is this forum just filled with 60 year old farts......?  not to offend, but those guys are talented, and can play well.....in fact really well

and he can probably dublicate any notes u throw at him, how much of his stuff can u duplicate??

Music is not about duplication.  Music is about inspiration.  Yngwie Malmsteen is very skilled, but so are many plumbers, bakers, and tailors.

I suppose that skill is "talent" of a sort, but speedy fingers do not a musician make.  Clapton had speedy fingers, too, but he didn't feel the need to jam 16 notes into every beat of every measure. 

Music is art, my friend, and Yngwie Malmsteen is an ink jet printer.  He has pixel-perfect accuracy but no originality.  Clapton's more of a Van Gogh.

Back