2-Piece vs 1-Piece Black Korina Body

I'm curious about this as I'm after a Black Korina Body, and I see you can get 1-piece or 2-piece. Is this just for cosmetics? The piece is cheaper, which is obviously idea. I'll be colouring it Alpine White, so I just wanted to ask incase it was just for cosmetic looks.

Cheers

People pay extra for one-piece bodies because they look better in some cases.

If you are just going to cover it with paint, why do you want BK? That's a waste of nice wood.

line6man said:
People pay extra for one-piece bodies because they look better in some cases.

If you are just going to cover it with paint, why do you want BK? That's a waste of nice wood.

Well for starters I can't find any Mahogany Bodies with the specs I need in the showcase section, and to make it custom costs more that the Black Korina from showcase. Plus I also hear Korina is a tad superior to Mahogany withh added mids. Any advice on your behalf?

That's valid reasoning, if you ask me.

Black Korina is attractive, but it's not unobtanium. You're looking for a behavior rather than an appearance, so you're using it properly. Call it a "sleeper" <grin>

From the Merriam-Webster...

4: someone or something unpromising or unnoticed that suddenly attains prominence or value <the low-budget film became the summer's sleeper>

We used to call certain cars "sleepers" when we were kids because they had monster engines in them but were otherwise unremarkable. You could surprise somebody on Telegraph Road by pulling up next to some dingbat's tricked out rag-ride and blowing them away at the light because they didn't think you had what it took to take them on. These days, it happens to ricers all the time.

Cagey said:
That's valid reasoning, if you ask me.

Black Korina is attractive, but it's not unobtanium. You're looking for a behavior rather than an appearance, so you're using it properly. Call it a "sleeper" <grin>

From the Merriam-Webster...

4: someone or something unpromising or unnoticed that suddenly attains prominence or value <the low-budget film became the summer's sleeper>

What a random comment haha. That put a smile on my face :D. But do you agree Korina is a little bit superior?

We used to call certain cars "sleepers" when we were kids because they had monster engines in them but were otherwise unremarkable. You could surprise somebody on Telegraph Road by pulling up next to some dingbat's tricked out rag-ride and blowing them away at the light because they didn't think you had what it took to take them on. These days, it happens to ricers all the time.

She.Cries.Wolf said:
What a random comment haha. That put a smile on my face :D. But do you agree Korina is a little bit superior?

Superior? Maybe, maybe not. It's tough to say. Tone is subjective, and the amount of influence body material has on it is the subject of constant debate.

What I was saying in that post is that you could end up with something that sounds really nice without advertising how you've done it. That is, you don't have to show everybody that your guitar is made of rare/exotic/badass parts or materials - it's enough that it performs that way. So, go ahead and hide the Korina, if that's what you'd prefer.

What's really important is that you like the instrument. I've sold perfectly good guitars because I didn't like the color of the thing, or something equally petty. Every time I'd pick one up that didn't sit well with me, I'd put it back down. What good is that?

So with Korina being similar to Mahogany, if I can get Korina cheaper, then I may as well go for it? All I've heard is good things about it over Mahogany, so I guess I can't go wrong with it for cheaper?

She.Cries.Wolf said:
So with Korina being similar to Mahogany, if I can get Korina cheaper, then I may as well go for it?

I would. But, I wouldn't expect there to be dramatic differences, and I suspect that's one of the reasons it's not more widely used in the commercial guitar manufacturing field. It usually costs more because it's not as common or easily obtained, although import/export treaties change the cost/availability of things all the time. Mahogany is the same way. There's African, Philippine, Indonesian and Honduran variations of the stuff so you can't talk about it as if it's a commodity. They all have different behaviors/costs/availability.

Back