1st Warmoth build photos. My Superstrat!

leftyaxeman

Greeting fellow Warmoth builders.  Behold my 1st creation. Yes, a SuperStrat, left-handed.

Swamp ash body, swirl paint job, auto urethane.  Maple neck, reverse inline headstock, 10-16" compound radius,  finished with Behlen's Master Gel for a smooth fast satin finish.  OFR bridge, Kluson vintage tuners and a set of SD 59s.
This axe sounds & plays phenomenally.

Yes, I will definitely build another.

Thanks for looking.

Colguit11163.jpg

140.jpg

Colguit6124.jpg

Actually, you have a non-reverse righty neck (side dots on underside) as opposed to a reverse lefty. Was that your intention? Very nice!

Being a lefty myself (but I play right), anything lefty holds a special place for me...  :glasses9:

Cool looking guitar. I like the pale wood of the neck as a counterpoint to the more complex goings-on with that body paint. Congrats on what looks like a great first build.

Slackjaw said:
Actually, you have a non-reverse righty neck (side dots on underside) as opposed to a reverse lefty. Was that your intention? Very nice!

Being a lefty myself (but I play right), anything lefty holds a special place for me...  :glasses9:

Thanks. Yes, it's a non-reverse right hand neck.  From my perspective (left handed) it's a reverse inline headstock.  It was intentional, I was trying to capture the "Jimi Vibe" of the upside down (right hand) strat that I had as a kid.

mrpinter said:
Cool looking guitar. I like the pale wood of the neck as a counterpoint to the more complex goings-on with that body paint. Congrats on what looks like a great first build.
Thanks. It exceeded my expectations in how well it plays & sounds. I'm so happy with this 1st build, I've just started the second.

That paint is awesome!  Lets see a whole body shot.  It reminds me of supperballs from the 70's  :toothy10:

xsspeed said:
That paint is awesome!  Lets see a whole body shot.  It reminds me of supperballs from the 70's  :toothy10:

Thanks dude!  Ha, yeah it does kind of look like a superball, pretty cool observation.  The 3rd pick is of the whole body, I don't have any shots of the back of the body.  I have to take one.622

Excellent! :headbang: This Superball Superstrat will make your audience bounce :blob7:
Did not know they now engrave 'Original' in the Floyd.  I have an older black one.
Does it sound bright?  Thanks for sharing.

Eric S. said:
Excellent! :headbang: This Superball Superstrat will make your audience bounce :blob7:
Did not know they now engrave 'Original' in the Floyd.  I have an older black one.
Does it sound bright?  Thanks for sharing.

Sorry it took so long to respond(zombie thread)!!!  Yes it's a bright sounding superstrat.  I wanted it to be a bit brighter because I'm playing thru a really dark sounding Carvin Legacy VL100 amp, so they kind of make for a nice balance. 
I'm approached at show by guitar players in the crowd always asking me how I'm achieving my tone.  Thanks for asking man.

Assumer said:
Wow.  Sell it to me now.

Still not for sale!  ;o)

Very cool!  How do you even go about doing a swirl paint job like that on a hobby level?  I've seen pics of the big tanks at Gibson for doing their flood guitars, but I'm curious.

in very simple terms, you get a big container (probably a 32 gallon trash can will do it for guitar bodies) of water doped with borax, and drip enamel on the surface; then dunk the body slowly, moving it around to ensure coverage; then wipe the left over paint off the surface of the water with a wad of newspaper; and finally pull your now-swirled guitar body out of the drink.  There are dozens if not hundreds of Youtube videos demonstrating the process.  Just search on "guitar swirl" and you're in clover.

vetteman said:
Very cool!  How do you even go about doing a swirl paint job like that on a hobby level?  I've seen pics of the big tanks at Gibson for doing their flood guitars, but I'm curious.

Thank you Vetteman!!  I did it pretty much the way bagman67 described.  It was a fun project, I'm in the process of doing a lefty Jem build that will probably get the swirl treatment also.  This time I think I'll do a white base coat instead of the black I used on this strat, the colors will pop more.  Thanks again Vetteman.

Cederick said:
Looks like pure AWESOME

Thank you Cederick!!!

It's funny, I have some pretty expensive guitars but this one has become my "go-to" axe!  I'm very happy with how my 1st build came out.

Back