1st Warmoth Build, Strat With GK-3 Installed

Updown

Hello all  :glasses9: my 1st complete Warmoth build.

My Guitar …. 'The Cigar'
with internal GK-3, installed & put together by yours truly…..me ! 
Finishes applied by Warmoth

Body…. off the 'showcase'

Rear Routed, Standard Stratocaster®, Goncalo Alves on Mahogany (Chambered)
Warmoth Finish: Transparent Yellow  …….. (not as yellow as I thought it would be) but still very, very happy !
To my surprise when I opened up my package, the body has some nice flame happening. (couldn't see this before finish put on)
Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo
Seymour Duncan, Cool Rails (Neck) SCR-1n                                                                   
Seymour Duncan, Vintage Rails (Middle) SVR-1n                                 
Seymour Duncan, Hot Rails  (Bridge) SHR-1b
Strat Pickup Ring Mounts .... (Bridge one next to GK-3 pickup filed back, to fit nicely)
Tele Knobs ….. (tried using strat & speed knobs with position pointers, just didn't look right with this colour or something)
No strap buttons ….. (as yet) don't really need in my situation.
Custom Tremolo Cover, not on as yet ….. (waiting till I bed it in & decide on # of springs)
Roland GK-3 Internal Kit
Up / Down Buttons ….. (changed from original to some bought at JayCar)
(Did this, as it will be easy to replace if ever needed + the holes needed drilling isn't as huge as the ones in the GK-3 kits)
(Also, now my little finger rests on the body, perfectly between these higher, up / down buttons) similar size / diameter to originals.
1 Volume ,1 Tone & 1 GK Volume, GK Switch (Black toggle cover, can take off) & Led & 5 way switch
(replaced the normal guitar volume, near bridge pickup, with the 'up button', as I don't like the volume on strats like that,
for-ever turning up or down the guitar volume accidentally)
Anyway a knob wouldn't fit there, when GK pickup installed in reverse.
Side inputs, Mono Jack & 13pin Jack.
All back screws

Will one day go back & re -do pots with push / pull !!  :icon_scratch:

Neck…. off the 'showcase'

Warmoth, Stratocaster ®, Vintage Modern with skunk stripe, Maple Neck.
Raw Canary Fretboard (Just thought I'd try something different…….Raw) & love it !!
1 11/16" Nut Width, GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
10-16" Compound Radius, 6150 size Frets, 25-1/2" Standard Thin Neck. (already had the frets installed) would rather SS frets .. thou.
Vintage Tint Gloss, Black Face Dots Inlay,
Sperzel Trim-Lok Tuners, Satin Black
Custom Edition Neck Plate
Strings, Fender Nickel-Plated Super Bullets .010----.046

Guitar resides comfortably in a Gator Strat Hardcase ….. because it deserves to be.  :icon_thumright:

90 % of parts from Warmoth, then StewMac, Roland Australia, Greasygroove & Turramurra Music …. thanks all.

The six holes on the body for the tremolo helped heaps in the aligning of GK-3 pickup (after initial trial setup)
But left the final placement (screws) for GK pickup till all was setup correctly.
Needed to cut 1 spring in half & use these for the mounting of GK pickup.
Also I've reversed the GK pickup,  as I've a VG-99 & (GR-55 to come) with no usage dramas there at all, doing it in reverse.
Sitting inside of the 20mm maximum distance from bridge, about 15-18mm.

Control cavity painted with 5 coats of Conductive Paint, earthed & cover plate has copper tape on it.
NO conductive done in the pickup cavities at all.
It's the quietest (noiseless) Strat I have heard, on any pickup configuration.
Gotta love those Seymour Duncan's !! …Wow

Will put some sort of personal decals on headstocks of these's someday.

All in all, everything went to plan, fitted like a glove & turn out just how I expected it to…. very, very happy with this one.  :icon_thumright:

Hey….one thing I haven't said about this guitar, is that…….It works perfectly & I just love playing it !!   
The Raw Neck (is slick as) the SD Pickups are perfect (no hum, buzz, anything) & the GK-3 kit all works fine……I'm in loooooove   

Just like to personally thank Warmoth for their great products / service / posting / support etc etc Many thanks indeed…..I'm hooked   
Also to those members here at 'W forum' for all there thoughts, ideas, plans, experience, knowledge, & remarks (good or not so good)
That you are all willing share … many thanks.  :icon_biggrin:

I just love opening a delivery from Warmoth, there's just nothing like it !! …. it's like being a child at Xmas.
Who needs to wait till xmas thou ….. ?

C-YA…….off to light up my guitar   'The Cigar'   

UpDown   :blob7: ….. Cheers  :glasses9:

Can see full build process & links to other pic's etc here..... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16436.0

0e7b325b.jpg

963e0821.jpg

Just love this neck !!
64e3c895.jpg

11a51925.jpg

775dfb59.jpg

Plenty of room !!
e7489b39.jpg

Filed back pickup ring & GK-3 Pickup
5dc11ce8.jpg

9eb9301f.jpg

39d7ad5a.jpg

Bit of sun shinning off the fretboard.... spoils it slightly !!
42407f16.jpg

Ready & lit up, just ready for some 'smoking hot fun'
6c0923a2.jpg

....... so the neck is unfinished ?? you said it was raw, didn't know if you meant no stain or color, but it has a clear coat on it ....... because it looks real glossy to me ..... if so, what did you use ?? TO ?? NSL ?? Euro ??

twinturrbo406 said:
....... so the neck is unfinished ?? you said it was raw, didn't know if you meant no stain or color, but it has a clear coat on it ....... because it looks real glossy to me ..... if so, what did you use ?? TO ?? NSL ?? Euro ??
Pretty sure he means just the fretboard face.

Yep just the fretboard is raw !! 
(Will save a complete RAW Neck till another project) may-be Purpleheart

Rest of neck finished with, (factory) Vintage Tint Gloss. Really was a great match-up of body & neck, off the showcase.

Updown  :blob7:

Back