1st Warmoth - 1st Post - 100% exotics

No, the term "PAF". Not even the phrase "Patent Applied For", just the "PAF" acronym. So, don't try marketing any pickups using "PAF" in the description. Which has always been silly anyway, but some kids will eat anything if you dress it up nicely enough.

Wait for next year, when Microsoft patents 1s and 0s, Pendant Publishing patents the alphabet, and the RIAA patents the 12 note musical scale.

And to be fair, don't blame them - blame the USPTO. They're absolutely clueless.

Bill Lawrence makes double-creams...? Of course, he's had so much different stuff stolen from him that if he ever decided to hire a fire-breathing lawyer, he could shut DOWN DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, every single guitar manufacturer who's "borrowed" his diffie-coils-from-diffie-pickups switching patent.... he just has absolutely no intent of spending any of his last bits of time in a courtroom rather than puttering in his lab. He's gotten a pass from DiMarzio, I'd guess. Lawrence is a good bit like Leo Fender, who more-or-less had three different companies stolen out from underneath him - and couldn't care less. He's got enough money for breakfast, lunch, dinner, a new soldering iron and a warm pair of socks - what the hell's wrong with you people?

(I wouldn't be too surprised that when Bill passes (if? :icon_scratch:) and his daughter and somewhat hottish younger wife no longer have to pretend to love the smell of soldering flux  - and wouldn't a mansion in Carmel-by-the-Sea be a worthy reward? - we might see some courtroom fireworks.)

http://wildepickups.com/

Hehe! I'd bet you're right. And while it's out of character for me, I'd love to see it.

VERY NICE!!.. I WOULD go chrome,,,,, zebra, p/u's..,, cream p/u rings for sure..it matches the binding..chrome hardware,, would match the neck as well...
not many like gold hardware,, but it would pop on this gtr!!any way you go,, it's real nice..

If it were me, I'd go with black hardware and zebra pups. Beautiful guitar! I can't wait until my first build project gets here... It's been almost 5 weeks now, so I'm expecting it to ship soon.

DangerousR6 said:
I gotcha hookup on a truss rod cover too Dave... :icon_biggrin:
Polishedtrcover.jpg

Is that Snus I see?  :toothy10: I used to use that stuff at work to give me a little kick in the morning.

it's just and empty can, i use to keep cutters in....    I prefer Copenhagen myself or Levi Garrett..

At least you went nice and conservative on your first build  :icon_tongue:

Seriously, though, it is going to be a mighty fine axe.

Cagey said:
line6man said:
Also, zebras rarely work on anything. This needs black pickups and black metal rings to match the hardware.
:headbang1:

Unfortunately, DiMarzio somehow managed to obtain a trademark on double cream humbucking pickups (and PAF!), so you see zebras showing up all over the place. I'm surprised they didn't get double black as well, as long as the USPTO was handing out ridiculous monopolies.

The state of IP law in the US is just pitiful.

...Carvin has double-cream pups

Rickgrxbass said:
...Carvin has double-cream pups

Yes, and so does GFS. But, the Carvin parts have 11 poles, and the GFS parts have blades. Not the same spools. Doesn't infringe on DiMarzio's "unique" trademark.

Aha!
I knew that badass wenge/canary build was in here somewhere!
I can't believe I forgot it was a "V."
"Very Nice!" My girlfriend says, and I agree.  :headbang:

(EDIT) Oh right...Suggestions! Here goes:
Creme Picking rings (match binding) or...match pickup rings to Truss rod cover
String Through  :headbang:
2 x Humbucker sized pickups with Gold Covers  :icon_tongue: (why don't they do wooden covers? Conductivity?) And gold or black hardware, or wooden hardware a la acoustic
Amber Gibson knobs look cool, but man, those PRS style knobs like the one on my new VIP from TJ_Tele feel so good! (Can't wait to get that baby matched)

I'm big on feel, so do whatever the heck you want  :kewlpics:

-DC

P.S. Is the top spalted?

Dusty Cat,

So far the plan is ivoroid pickup rings, chrome hardware, reverse zebra pups, amber speed kobs.  I have some ivoroid knobs coming to see how that looks too.  You are right, I have some of the grey/clear PRS knobs and I like them a lot.    These are easy things to swap out now and again.  Wish the PRS knobs weren't so F*&*Cing expensive.

The truss rod cover is going to be wenge to match the headstock, and it may or may not have a bottom layer of Ivoroid under it for contrast.    Process is slow in getting this thing together.    Waiting on a bunch of parts.

The top IS spalted maple, but it has some pretty serious flame in it too which was a total bonus.

They do make wood humbucker covers.  I think I saw some on the allparts webpage.

I love the Wenge/Canary neck.  feels so nice.  Can't wait to see how it sounds and plays.

Cheers

$35 for two PRS knobs? They must, just, turn like a dream er sumptin'... Or, were you looking at the $55 ones - no wait - the $62 ones are bound to sound better... you get what you pay for, after all!  :icon_thumright: Some cheapskates here just try to save money by doing their own work, but we run 'em off. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Paul's shop is just a few ticks up the road from me here on the Chesapeake, must've been him I spied fishing up the crick the other day:

boat.jpg

I tried to tell 'em, "You can't catch no carp with lobster fer bait" but he had his sunglasses on.

Probably wasn't him you were hollerin' at. You'll notice the helipad is clear.

Great wood choice and finish.  :blob7: The white binding sets if off and accents the body style, but cream pickup rings would take away from the classy, clean look in my oppinion. All black hardware screams metal guitars and looks very custom. I vote all black hardware and pickups. However, if you can get ahold of a canary truss rod cover, it would be the cherry on top.  :headbang1:

Back