12 string tele?

Soloshchenko said:
AquietStorm you may find these pics helpful. Found them on a pendrive I had from ages ago. It shows a squier tele rather well modded up into 12 string form. It was available on ebay ages ago but due to shipping VAT issues I never went for it. The guy said he stopped doing them os the bridges were taking too long to mod. Hope they help you in your project.

Unfortunately that pic does not have enough detail.

aquietstorm said:
Soloshchenko said:
AquietStorm you may find these pics helpful. Found them on a pendrive I had from ages ago. It shows a squier tele rather well modded up into 12 string form. It was available on ebay ages ago but due to shipping VAT issues I never went for it. The guy said he stopped doing them os the bridges were taking too long to mod. Hope they help you in your project.

Unfortunately that pic does not have enough detail.

Yeah sorry bout that mate. Couldn't get it any bigger.

This may seem very late to respond but I just logged on to this site. Hope you are still interested in this info.
I built a 12-String Tele about a year ago. This was my dream guitar for about two years, I finally got my plans together and ordered a Thinline body to fit a Showcase 12-string neck I bought in October '03. I tried to mimick a Ricky without losing the Thinline feel that I love. The sound is great! It has the jingle-jangle that I was after.
I bought a Vintage Toaster for the bridge and a S.D. lipstck PUP for the neck position. I used a Gotoh 12-string bridge, which is NOT grooved for Ricky style stringing. I just filed the saddle grooves and strung it up "properly"

Rick-o-Caster said:
This may seem bery late to respond but I just logged on to this site. Hope you are still interested in this info.
I built a 12-String Tele about a year ago. This was my dream guitar for about two years, I finally got my plans together and ordered a Thinline body to fit a Showcase 12-string neck I bought in October '03. I tried to mimick a Ricky without losing the Thinline feel that I love. The sound is great! It has the jingle-jangle that I was after.
I bought a Vintage Toaster for the bridge and a S.D. lipstck PUP for the neck position. I used a Gotoh 12-string bridge, which is NOT grooved for Ricky style stringing. I just filed the saddle grooves and strung it up "properly"

Seriously man, you HAVE GOT TO POST PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!  thinline 12 string teles are the stuff of legend.

Well plans changed a bit.  I picked up a slightly heavy swamp ash tele body from the web specials at USACG and am in the process of finishing it.  Started with a tobacco burst and screwed it up so I stripped it to start over.  I got a nice maple/rosewood warmouth neck for it that still needs a couple coats of nitro. 

I'm going with some inexpensive modern vintage GFS single coil sized humbuckers I think they call them lil killers or some such.  I will use 500k pots and maybe a push-pull, maybe a 5-way.  I have all the parts, so I may as well make it as adjustable as I can.

I picked up a gotoh 12 string bridge and I don't want to use any of it.  I'm going to modify a six saddle standard tele bridge to do six through the body and six through the end.  I expect I will have to compromise on the intonation unless I can figure a way to compensate it.  Or maybe it will still sound good if I just get it close.    I'm not afraid to fabricate small metal parts.

I figure that if I can calculate the difference between string lengths for the different diameters then it shouldn't be too hard to make a saddle to accomodate for the difference.  I don't suppose anyone can point me to the pertinant formulas?

You might be able to get some intonation guidlines on a webste that shows set-up for a six saddle rickenbacker bridge. All of there 12 string models do not necessarilly come with a twelve saddle bridge. You won't get the truest tunning with six saddles as you would with twelve, but it can be done.

Rick-o-Caster said:
You might be able to get some intonation guidlines on a webste that shows set-up for a six saddle rickenbacker bridge. All of there 12 string models do not necessarilly come with a twelve saddle bridge. You won't get the truest tunning with six saddles as you would with twelve, but it can be done.

I thought about it some more last night and I think I can get very close without doing a lot of math.  If I intonate one string on the saddle and measure from the back of the bridge to the center of the saddle, then do the same for the other string on the same saddle I will then have the difference I need to fabricate the compensated saddle.  Do this six times and it is done.

I checked out the Rick tele on flickr!! That is an amazing instrument mate, can I not ask you to put the pic in the gallery? I'm sure everyone would love a look at it.

I'm not the person to ask, guys can one of you help him out? My photos are always too big to pt on here but theres a way of doin it.

Could someone help out RIck O Caster (as well as me) how on earth do you manage to post pics on here that don't exceed the memory limit?

Sorry of its a simple answer, I have no idea how!

I think his guitar is well worth seeing, one of the coolest tele ideas I'cve seen.

Soloshchenko said:
Could someone help out RIck O Caster (as well as me) how on earth do you manage to post pics on here that don't exceed the memory limit?

Sorry of its a simple answer, I have no idea how!

I think his guitar is well worth seeing, one of the coolest tele ideas I'cve seen.

Personally, I upload pics to a site, such as photobucket, then link to them on these boards via the "insert image" tool.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I did get more pictures on Flikr. I tagged them with "Warmoth" but I don't think I got them in the pool.

"Could someone help out RIck O Caster (as well as me) how on earth do you manage to post pics on here that don't exceed the memory limit?

Sorry of its a simple answer, I have no idea how!"

Ive had this problem before. I think it is a server problem on W's end. Wait a while and try to post again...maybe during a weekday.

Brian

Back