10" and 15"

marthur

Im going to be building a two speaker cab this summer. Has anyone ever heard of combining a 10" and 15"? It seems like it would sound great. Any thoughts?

You might want to check out fEarful cabs on Talkbass.com. The plans are free to download and they have several just like what you were saying there. Plus many other companies make cabs like this, from little guys like Low Down Sound up to even Mesa / Boogie.

marthur said:
Im going to be building a two speaker cab this summer. Has anyone ever heard of combining a 10" and 15"? It seems like it would sound great. Any thoughts?

You haven't made it clear if the cab will be used for Bass or Guitar? (10s & 15s usually used for Bass).

I'd be interested in more details about such a cabinet myself, for the same reason - I'm thinking about building that exact configuration.

Well, I'm talking about a guitar cab. I've seen some bass cabs like that, but I thought about doing it for guitar. Should've clarified.

The choice of 15's and 10's will be important.

This is where considerable experience would help.  You can not only get different frequency response, but also varying degrees of efficiency (loudness per watt). Couple that with - how will they respond together in the same cabinet? 

FWIW, I have a '62 Princeton that rather dark toned, and it sounded GREAT when played together with a Fender Blues Jr.  The Princeton had a dark 10, the BJ had a rather bright 12, and the amps were different of course, but they could be dialed in GREAT, especially when the BJ was a little raspy edged on the OD and the Princeton was still clean.

Back