1 Meg Pots on Build #3

rookosu

I wanted some Lollar dBs in my new Regal build.  Leave it to me to pick pups that recommend 1Meg pots.  Also want to split em. 

So the only 1Meg push/pull pots I found were Bourns.  So I start assembling today and run into the fact that the shaft just isn't long enough. 

Anyone know where I can find 1Meg, push/pull pots with long shafts?  Attached pic of the pre-assembly for grins.

Attachments

• 81219992_2483319665123807_8678464983345922048_o.jpg
    81219992_2483319665123807_8678464983345922048_o.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 205
rookosu said:
I wanted some Lollar dBs in my new Regal build.  Leave it to me to pick pups that recommend 1Meg pots.  Also want to split em. 

So the only 1Meg push/pull pots I found were Bourns.  So I start assembling today and run into the fact that the shaft just isn't long enough. 

Anyone know where I can find 1Meg, push/pull pots with long shafts?  Attached pic of the pre-assembly for grins.

And....just in case it helps someone here, Lollar pickups confirmed nobody makes a long shaft 1M push/pull.  They said 500K sounds pretty drastically unpleasant as well.  So looks like I have to give up on my split coil dream here on this build.  Bummer.

What if you used non push-pull 1meg pots and then just added a mini switch or 2 for the splitting functionality.

... or just try the 500k and see what YOU think, soundwise. The real, fleshy you. Who gives a flubber what somebody else's ears hear. Maybe youll love it that way, take a chance on love

Why would you buy pickups that produce so little high-end that 1meg pots are necessary for them to sound good?
I'd ditch those.

I didn’t know carved tops needed long shafts.  That said, I’ve got that exact switch set up on my tele deluxe and I like it, very prs like.  What you need to do is keep your pots and pick ups as is and get a freeway toggle 3x3 and use the scheme for bridge, b + n, n, neck sc + b, neck sc + b sc, neck + b sc.  Those get you into prs territory, and you’re  not bothered with the sc’s alone. I don’t know if losing the worthless single coils by themselves bothers you, but there you go,
But check the dimensions on the freeway switch.  You might have to dremel.
Freeway always answers their email so they might have a solution if the shaft is too short.

As a compromise, consider using a 1Meg volume and then a 500k tone. Dropping the tone pot value won’t be as noticeable as the volume, and you should be able to find a 500k long shaft push/pull.

If I were in your shoes I would make my own. Use a long shaft 500k and replace the wafer with a like model 1meg unit.

That's a good idea. Pots are easily disassembled, and largely modular within a given style. Have to buy two pots for every one you actually use, but they're not very expensive.

pabloman said:
If I were in your shoes I would make my own. Use a long shaft 500k and replace the wafer with a like model 1meg unit.
Nice solution, way to think outside the box!  :headbang:

For anyone curious, here is an accurate graphical representation of how pot values effect tone.

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7171/pot-values-load-pots

Basically, higher pot values (bigger #) = higher resonant peak (higher Q). This can sound like more treble or more "clarity", although too much may be "piercing". It Just depends on how high the resonant peak is for the pickup it's self.

Also, for anyone interested- the absolute best data table for pickups is here. I believe its managed/edited by "Antigua" on various forums.

http://www.echoesofmars.com/pickup_data/viewer

Hit "reset" if the table doesn't show. I also recommend sorting by "loaded resonant frequency"

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting the link. Bookmarked that one for future use.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
As with many carve tops, you can dremel the additional range needed in the control cavity.

I could have, certainly.  But while I have assembled 3 Warmoth builds, I'm not skilled enough and don't trust myself enough to start doing things beyond drilling holes for tuners, pickguards, and strap pegs.  I'm more of a plug and play guy myself, and don't get that deep into the weeds like alot of you fine folk.  I didn't want to mess with my $700 body. 

On the flipside, yes I could have taken it to someone who could have.  But....  I didn't want to do that either.  :) 

Street Avenger said:
Why would you buy pickups that produce so little high-end that 1meg pots are necessary for them to sound good?
I'd ditch those.

The tone of those pups, with the appropriate and recommended 1M pot, I've played before, and it's 100% what I wanted.  If I ever change pups I can swap the 'tronics as well.  No big deal.

I don't know if they make them in the style that you need, but the tone/frequency response of two 1 Meg pots is the same as one 500k pot and a no-load pot.

Back