YouTube creation: what camera?

mayfly

Epic Member
Hey folks,
Using iPhones for making my youtube videos is no longer cutting it. I need to get an actual camera.

The problem is: which camera? (That and I don't have a lot of money). From what I can tell my choices are: goPro type cameras, or changeable lens cameras like the Sony zv-E10 and the like (which are about 2x the price of a goPro). I also want to record audio (naturally), so something that's flexible on that end is an asset as well.

Anyone have experience with this kind of gear? Is something like the zv-e10 really going to make a big difference to the overall video (and audio) quality?

This lists out the recording gear used, and they do a pretty good job.
Camera: Canon EOS R
Recorder: Zoom H2
Problem is they are like $1100 USD.
In the US you can get a deduction as business expense. Anyway it's an option. Probably about $400 more than you want.

Last edited:
Strangely, I believe sound quality of videos is more important than video quality (within reason).

For the Warmoth videos I use a Canon EOS Rebel T5i.

I never use the camera's audio. I close mic with a boom, record that in Presonus Studio One, then sync up the audio track to the video when editing.

A year ago I began setting up a shoestring video studio in the bonus room. Not really intending to release anything.Mine was strictly for video practice of me singing and playing, the idea to do all my cringing agt home.

I bought a zoom 2qn but its a very very wide angle ok camera on a decent mic. I came to the realization that for what i was doing, audio just needs to sync and everything was already in the board/interface.

What fell out of the bag after a lot of shaking, was you need lights, a backdrop, a 35-50mm equivalent lens with as big an aperture as you can afford (not saying spend a $1k, just whatever your numbers are, pay attention to aperture when shopping), fixed focus lens.

My Lumix G3 was inexpensive but video has auto only mode - however if you stick a manual lens on it, presto it becomes aperture priority.

For the picture part of the video I think most good quality DSLRs or Mirrorless cameras capable of recording in at least 1080p will work. For the sound, there is an option in between the camera's native audio and more sophisticated setups that involve multiple mics, syncing audio and video, etc. Sennheiser makes a neat little shotgun mic called the MKE 400, that mounts onto the camera's hot-shoe, but connects via a line into the camera's audio in. It's very directional, so it rejects a lot of noise from the back and sides, and does a pretty decent job of recording sounds coming from where you point it. Pictured below are the newest model - which costs $200, and the previous version that I've used a couple times before I hired a pro to do my videos; with pretty good results considering its cost and compactness. I saw used ones in Adorama for between $50 and $80. It's not a substitute for pro sound gear, but lots better than the camera's mic.

sennheiser mke 400 new model.jpg

sennheiser mke 400 on camera mic.jpg

Last edited:
In my case the board audio is basically "truth". I'm using to rehearse playing live but for almost any sort of rock band scenario it's similar. If you're doing the talking head thing, an SM7 is ubiquitous but tbh the 57 is as good without the nasal obnoxiousness. If I'm going to plunk down that kinda coin it'll be an RE20

Thank you thank you everyone! So, here's my takeaways:
1 - get a good camera, but don't go crazy. Gopro is probably out. Will likely need a half decent tripod as well.
2 - spend some money on audio. I've actually built my own microphones, so will probably use one of those, talk host style. Will need a small audio interface; I use a tascam at home, so probably one of the small versions of that.
3 - lighting and background. Completely spaced it on that one - need to think on this and do something interesting.

I plan to do all this at my shop, so I will need to come up with some ideas. About half of my shop is set up like a living room (funky lamps, rugs, coffee table, needs a couch though) so I could use that as a background for a good Mayfly vibe.

i actually screwed some 1/2 pipe to the ceiling and use smallrig clamp/arms to position lights and camera. You can slide it around wherever you like (within reason. If you get too crazy with leverage and weights it gets expensive. My camera hangs pretty much straight down. My lights take advantage of ceiling bounce for a giant soft box.

Back