Your least favourite wood! A bit of fun.

Which wood do you think is plain ugly? 5 votes each.

• Birdseye Maple

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Bocote

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Brazilian Rosewood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indian Rosewood

• Bubinga

• Canary

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Flame Maple

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Goncalo

• Koa

• Padouk

• Purpleheart

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Wenge

• Ziricote

• Alder

• Swamp Ash

• Korina

• Lacewood

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Mahogany

• Spalted Maple

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Poplar

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Walnut

• Zebrawood

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Pao Ferro

• Burl Maple

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Quilt Maple

• Total voters
birdseye maple (like a skin disease, GoDrex; go boy! you're completely right!)
[/quote]

I think you have hurt my guitar's (the orgasmocaster) feelings a little bit  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32.0
Skin Disease  :icon_scratch:
I think Birdseye is my favorite out of all maple variations! Flame and Quilt is so common, as someone said before, you see it on every cheap ass chinese guitar these days..

but basically think that all kinds of woods are great if used the right way...I even love Basswood (for the tone), just needs a solid finish.
I even still get excited about a nicely grained piece of ash!

*I* didn't see anything on the list that doesn't have some use or value...provided the proper application/project. Subjective to many of us...

Well I LOVE your "Exemacaster", Marko!  :icon_jokercolor: If you send it to me, I'll be sure to give it proper treatment.  :eek:ccasion14:

Orpheo, you'd better have not broken the heart of Orgasmocaster  :evil4: If she say something bad about you, you'll meet my friends "Politeness" and "Diplomacy" (aka as my right arm and leg  :laughing7:)

That was hard!  :tard:
I said poplar even though, like one of you guys said in another thread, sometimes the green in poplar is nice.

Gregg said:
Why does the question have to be a negative one? Why can't the poll ask what are your favorites instead?
Good point Gregg, I personally don't dislike anykind of wood, except partical board.... :icon_biggrin:

RockStarNick said:
I know it's kinda crazy, but I just HATE quilt maple.

I think it's because Quilt Maple USED to be the sign of a really high end guitar.   But now, there's so many knock-off cheap import guitars that do crazy electric blue burst quilt maple veneers on $250 guitars, that to me, Quilt makes me think CHEAP.

Give me a plain top any day!
This is the reason I have gone Warmoth all the way. I used to read the guitar magazines in the early 90's and I wanted all the expensive guitars with the fancy tops. Warmoth is giving figured tops to the masses! Even when they are expensive, they are way less expensive than the big guitar companies.

rhythm said:
... I dont know why, but when I see a rear routed body with a clear finish over figured wood I presume it is American owned ...
My first W was my avatar, it is rear routed and it's in Greece... As I said above, I love figured tops. Plastic on guitars looks cheap to me in comparison with figured tops and I don't care if Leo did it that way, I'm not a "vintage correct" type person... :guitaristgif:

Regarding the question, I can't say I dislike any woods. All woods are beautiful and they have a use here or there. As far as tops though, I'm watching the Pau Ferro tops they are putting in the showcase lately and it's so grandpa style... :dontknow: Everytime I see these tops I vision a guy like Jerry Garcia playing these guitars! Zebrawood is also not for me as a top. In the beginning I loved it but watching it over and over made me realize that I don't... :toothy12:

Kostas said:
RockStarNick said:
I know it's kinda crazy, but I just HATE quilt maple.

I think it's because Quilt Maple USED to be the sign of a really high end guitar.   But now, there's so many knock-off cheap import guitars that do crazy electric blue burst quilt maple veneers on $250 guitars, that to me, Quilt makes me think CHEAP.

Give me a plain top any day!
This is the reason I have gone Warmoth all the way. I used to read the guitar magazines in the early 90's and I wanted all the expensive guitars with the fancy tops. Warmoth is giving figured tops to the masses! Even when they are expensive, they are way less expensive than the big guitar companies.

rhythm said:
... I dont know why, but when I see a rear routed body with a clear finish over figured wood I presume it is American owned ...
My first W was my avatar, it is rear routed and it's in Greece... As I said above, I love figured tops. Plastic on guitars looks cheap to me in comparison with figured tops and I don't care if Leo did it that way, I'm not a "vintage correct" type person... :guitaristgif:

Regarding the question, I can't say I dislike any woods. All woods are beautiful and they have a use here or there. As far as tops though, I'm watching the Pau Ferro tops they are putting in the showcase lately and it's so grandpa style... :dontknow: Everytime I see these tops I vision a guy like Jerry Garcia playing these guitars! Zebrawood is also not for me as a top. In the beginning I loved it but watching it over and over made me realize that I don't... :toothy12:

I would love an all Pao Ferro (body and neck) tele. I like the idea of having a really heavy lap tele with some nice overwound single coils.......... Maybe next year.

I like most of them, but I definitely have an aversion to Indian Rosewood.  Every cheap import seems to have a rosewood fingerboard.  That said, the examples I've seen of indian rosewood fingerboards in the showcase seem much more richly colored and grained than what is usually found on a cheap import.

i like most except purple heart adn poplar

but honestly my least favourite bit of wood is my manager at work...  :toothy10:

I voted Poplar; would never use that wood and would rarely, if ever in the future do an opaque color build.

Back