yet another recommend a Tele PU thread

S

SalsaNChips

Okay so due diligence on my part -- I did a search and read a few recent threads on Telecaster PU combinations, but came away with a sense of ambiguity that I was hoping a thread of my own might somewhat alleviate :)

I have a Tele build on order now from Warmoth. Several weeks to make up my mind about the pups. I am pretty much set on using a Toneshaper module for the electronics (they are making them now for Telecasters).

This guitar will be used primarily for church and worship music (I have my Strat with Dimarzio's for the down and dirty ZZ Top/SRV/Hendrix stuff :) ). So tone-wise, my priority is something designed specifically for the Telecaster with a mid-volume crystal clear single-coil like clean tone with a tad of a break on full volume settings, bright but balanced on the high-end -- to the honking neck/bridge Nashville sound we all know and love, to a moderately high-output, high-sustain bridge with a bit of dip in the mid-range for rock/hard rock. Hum-cancelling all around (stacked single for the neck most likely). I would also like US made pickups if possible.

Any suggestions? Perhaps the Lollar Special T neck/bridge combo?

Cool -- sound sample on the GFS NeoVinT7N is perfect. May go with a GFS TB9 or even TB12 on the bridge. Price-wise, majorly affordable!

BTW, Earl Slick is a favorite of mine; I picked up his mid-seventies release "Razor Sharp" the other day for a blast from the past. Great album, killer guitar and doesn't sound dated one bit.

SalsaNChips said:
Any suggestions? Perhaps the Lollar Special T neck/bridge combo?

This is an excellent combination that works very well.  I've tried several telecaster pickup combinations and always head back to this one.

I have this set installed in 5 telecasters and I just love them. 

Doing some research this evening, I came across Rio Grande. Specifically the Tall Boy or Dirty Harry sets. May be overkill (probably) but need to hear some samples of how the neck PU sounds clean. Anybody know about these or ever heard/tried them out?

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/Categories.asp?productname=FOR%20TELE

I've got a Dimarzio Area T set in one of my teles (more traditional tele sound) and an Area T and Dimarzio Chopper in the bridge (for a traditional sound in the neck and a sold rock sound in the bridge with just a touch of twang). But I've also got a couple of guitars with GFS pickups and I love them just as much. So you won't be dissapointed with either.

SalsaNChips said:
Doing some research this evening, I came across Rio Grande. Specifically the Tall Boy or Dirty Harry sets. May be overkill (probably) but need to hear some samples of how the neck PU sounds clean. Anybody know about these or ever heard/tried them out?

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/Categories.asp?productname=FOR%20TELE

Make sure they will fit into yoru standard routes!  Rios can run large or deep (gnuck-gnuck  :laughing7:!).

I have a GFS Vintage '63 in the neck and a 10k Lil Puncher w/coil cut in the bridge of my Standard Tele. Neck is very mellow. The bridge is very stock Tele coil cut and a bit more aggressive in full on bucker mode. Middle is very nice buth with coil cut and without. :rock-on:

Back