Yes, I do need another one...

That's coming right along. The front is fine-looking with the bevel all the way around and lower on the sides. The cover on the back came out right. This one scores 10 so far.

Rgand said:
That's coming right along. The front is fine-looking with the bevel all the way around and lower on the sides. The cover on the back came out right. This one scores 10 so far.

Gracias, Sir. You are most kind to say so.    :icon_thumright:

This is looking great Phil. Love the purpleheart, so cool.

As for that little imperfection, I like stuff like that in wood. I always figure if you were going to make a veneer or a vinyl laminate you'd have it perfect and it would be flawless, but that's more difficult to achieve with a chunk of wood.

Mineral lines, imperfections and other little organic bits and bobs show you what it is, a bit of wood that's had it's own story and experiences. You immediately can see it's solid and that's far cooler than an immaculate 0.5mm veneer (IMHO).

Dr Excess said:
This is looking great Phil. Love the purpleheart, so cool.

As for that little imperfection, I like stuff like that in wood. I always figure if you were going to make a veneer or a vinyl laminate you'd have it perfect and it would be flawless, but that's more difficult to achieve with a chunk of wood.

Mineral lines, imperfections and other little organic bits and bobs show you what it is, a bit of wood that's had it's own story and experiences. You immediately can see it's solid and that's far cooler than an immaculate 0.5mm veneer (IMHO).

I agree totally. Life is not perfect, nor I suspect would we really want it to be.  :turtle:

Moving along, got some cavities for the pups to live in and holes running to the control house. Started to do some dye work.

EOLu2o.jpg

Z2oXfN.jpg

oPHY8t.jpg

R5rJR3.jpg

. We'll see what happens as I go along, nothing written in stone yet. Well, except for the routing........... :cool01:

And just so you all don't get the wrong idea, I'm not really covering up the good stuff in the middle...

b1FoY5.jpg

aEmrB9.jpg

Just wanted to tint it a little........... :icon_thumright:

Glad to see you've rubbed off the excess color.  I was gonna have to come and spank your @ss if you covered those lovely stripes of contrasting hardwood completely.

Whoa! That's spectacular. Good idea to bring the back color all the way up the sides to the top. Can't wait to see that go together.

Bagman67 said:
Glad to see you've rubbed off the excess color.  I was gonna have to come and spank your @ss if you covered those lovely stripes of contrasting hardwood completely.

:laughing11: :laughing11:  And I would have deserved it too. Just wanted to bring out the figure a little and kind of add a slight red to it. Hoping I didn't over do it.

Rgand said:
Whoa! That's spectacular. Good idea to bring the back color all the way up the sides to the top. Can't wait to see that go together.

Thanks, it was a spur of the moment thing that gladly, worked out.... I think.  :glasses9:

Here we are, refined a little more with a control pocket and it's now in the tru-oil application and curing phase. Meanwhile I will decide what neck and hardware to adorn it with.

7TKNmr.jpg

V44ilP.jpg

GJaIT3.jpg

.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Beautiful! I like that control pocket. That's a good way to lower the height of the knobs.

I was looking at that control pocket too, very nice!  I can't wait to see how you trick it out.

I don't know if anyone noticed ... but I've been away for awhile.  Good to be back and looking at some beautiful guitars.  Such a nice thing to think about.

Thank you all, and glad to see you back ric2. The project is now at the stage I hate, finishing, because I'm not real adept at it. But, as they say, practice makes perfect. So further on I trudge and we'll see what happens... :headbang:

Oh wow, I did not see this going this way. The stain is really really nice. Love the little recess too.

You should round over the headstock (which I assume is a tele) in a 50's Strat style (no sharp heel corners), would really suit the overall more ergonomic mods to the normal tele design you've done to the body.

Dr Excess said:
Oh wow, I did not see this going this way. The stain is really really nice. Love the little recess too.

You should round over the headstock (which I assume is a tele) in a 50's Strat style (no sharp heel corners), would really suit the overall more ergonomic mods to the normal tele design you've done to the body.

Interesting idea, thank you.  :headbang:

PhilHill said:
Dr Excess said:

This brings up another idea. You could bevel the edges of a standard Tele headstock much like the bevel on the body.

Rgand said:
PhilHill said:
Dr Excess said:

This brings up another idea. You could bevel the edges of a standard Tele headstock much like the bevel on the body.

Another very interesting thing to ponder, this is going to require serious planning.............. :eek:ccasion14:

Back