Yay my first project arrived! :)

Davidh

Hey folks!

I just got my new body and neck:
Neck.jpg

bottom.jpg

top.jpg

all2.jpg

Since it's my first project, I'm not into fancy woods (yet). So maple/rosewood neck with SS frets and angled peghead, and contoured hollow alder body. It'll be finished completely in white (incl neck and head), I don't know about glossy or satin finish yet :) Oh and hopefully there will be a black pinup contour on the body and a few small ones on the back of the neck. Will be equipped with fender 62/57 pickups.

First problem: the neck doesn't fit into the pocket. So I guess I have to do some sanding here? Any ideas on how to do this while keeping an eye on the alignment?

Thanks for the comments!

David from Holland.

First problem.
Yeah, you'll have to do some sanding there, but do it little by little. Sand, test, sand test.
Maybe only sand on one side a little to keep it aligned?
But otherwise, a nice build! You gonna put a finish on it at all, or just leave it.

Do not sand the neck!!!

If in doubt take to a reputable luthier.

And good luck looking forward to the finished article.

The neck should press in from the top, not push down towards the bridge.... if it needs sanding, you'd want wood taken off the body, from the sides of the neck pocket. Since you've already got the bridge posts in, a nut etc. it's a perfect time to check alignment with either a very good straightedge or (easiest) two strings hooked up as the low and high E's. Sacrificing a few strings now is a whole lot cheaper than any alternative... they don't have to be the right strings, if you've got some oddball leftovers. I prefer a little more room at the top of the neck on the high E side, but most people just center them. Finish is going to add tightness to the neck pocket too.

Thanks for the replies!

I pushed it in from the top and that doesn't fit. I don't think it needs a whole lot of sanding, so I'm not afraid to do it. Thanks for the tips to sand the body insead of the neck. I checked the alignment with some string already yes. I was surprised by how close the string are to the edge of the fretboard on the higher frets, but just went to the shop and all original strats have that as well.
I was also thinking, don't the neck screw holes ultimately cause (non)alignment?

:rock-on:

Gold hardware. Im already excited! The neck holes should alighn everything, not mess it up. I thought my neck/body fit was too tight but I put a little weight into it and they went together just fine, and now they are easyer to go together and take apart. place neck on top of the pocket just like you have in the pics and put the palm of your hand on that area and press down..put some weight into it. Or sand the sides of the pocket like Stub said.

Brian

Not sure when you tried to fit them together, but if it was right when you received them, you could also try to wait a day or so, and try again.  I had heard that the heat and humidity changes that this stuff goes through on it's journey from Washington to wherever you are can affect the fit.  On my second build the neck just did't seem to want to go in right away, but a day later, it went in just like it should, tight, but it went in. 

I'd have to agree with guitlouie, give it a day or two and then try as he said. Going from US to Holland is quite the climate change, plus going overseas it may have been on a plane? Your body maybe in shock..... :dontknow:

Shaping up to be another black-tie build (that is, one you need to play in a tuxedo) :)

Are you CRAZY . . . WHITE? you need to put stain or dye on that .you have a SPECTACULAR white wood which color LOVES . color will POP on yer axe. Killer!

kreig said:
Are you CRAZY . . . WHITE? you need to put stain or dye on that .you have a SPECTACULAR white wood which color LOVES . color will POP on yer axe. Killer!

Huh?  It's a plain alder body, nothing wrong with it but I don't see why you're getting so excited.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

White wood is "THE" perfect canvas ! ! ! color shot on non-"white" takes the color in "that" direction ! i.e. yellow-ISH,brown-ISH ! that's all .

Nice body, welcome to the cult, and it sounds like you're off to a good start.

Kreig, all alder bodies look like that. I think you're talking about transparent finishes and stains, etc. which don't need any particular type of body wood.

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful instrument when completed.  Congratulations on a fine purchase. 

Back