Y Y Wicked

Syntheticocean said:
How is the line between the back dye and the front dye? Clean? If so, how did you do it to get a clean line?
Honestly, I initially planned to do a natural color stripe to separate the 2 sections, but the masking job was just to iffy to trust. Wish I had some liquid masking of some kind, but couldn't find anything here that would work.

So, what I did was to use a small brush to dye a line around the guitar in the back color and then filled in the back, followed by one coat of wipe-on poly to seal the back, using a small brush again to go around the line. Then I dyed the front. Not easy, and some pin-stripping experience helps. ;)

But, I was fortunate enough to get a pretty crisp line and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've been up to my ears at work for a couple of weeks now, but the body is basically done and I will try to post some more pictures soon. Hopefully, I will get to start assembly this Saturday. :cool01:

Altar said:
col_swinger66-lpblue.jpg

:toothy12:

Is this Tom Morello? Can't tell with him wearing the shades... -Maybe he's hiding his identity because he is embarrassed that his musiclander isn't nearly as cool as Smashing-Lemon-Hard-Candy-Drops or whatever this crazy-awesome thing's name is!

Day-mun said:
Altar said:
col_swinger66-lpblue.jpg

:toothy12:

Is this Tom Morello? Can't tell with him wearing the shades... -Maybe he's hiding his identity because he is embarrassed that his musiclander isn't nearly as cool as Smashing-Lemon-Hard-Candy-Drops or whatever this crazy-awesome thing's name is!
Certainly looks like him to me.

I thought so too, but then I saw he was wearing one of Mayfly's shirts...I don't know what to think anymore.  :icon_jokercolor:

Oh, don't I wish i could take some lessons from Morello, he's one of my absolute favorites.

Guy has his own style, that's for sure. You can do that when you've played/recorded with just about everyone under the sun, including...

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS
JOHN LEE HOOKER
BUDDY MILES of JIMI HENDRIX BAND OF GYPSYS
ERIC JOHNSON
MIKE GORDON & JOHN FISHMAN of PHISH
GOV'T MULE
LITTLE FEAT
ERIC CLAPTON
LES PAUL
CHUCK LEAVELL of THE ROLLING STONES
LYNYRD SKYNYRD
ZAC BROWN BAND
DEREK TRUCKS BAND
STEVE SMITH of JOURNEY
JIMMY HERRING of THE DEAD/WIDESPREAD PANIC
ROB WASSERMAN of RAT DOG
FUTUREMAN & JEFF COFFIN of BELA FLECK
VINNIE COLAIUTA of STING/FRANK ZAPPA
JEFF SIPE of A.R.U./LEFTOVER SALMON
AUDLEY FREED of THE BLACK CROWES
NEIL LARSON of GEORGE HARRISON/LARSON-FEITEN BAND
DONALD "DUCK" DUNN of THE BLUES BROS./BOOKER T
JIMMY HALL of THE JEFF BECK GROUP
COL. BRUCE HAMPTON & PLANET ZAMBEE
STEVE MORSE of DEEP PURPLE/KANSAS/DREGS
VANCE TAYLOR of EARTH, WIND & FIRE
ROY BUCHANAN
SONNY LANDRETH
SUSAN TEDESCHI
TAJ MAHAL
SHAWN LANE
PAT TRAVERS
CHRIS CAIN
THE RICHMAN BROTHERS BAND
CLARENCE "GATEMOUTH" BROWN
HALL & OATS
LEE RITENOUR
STANLEY JORDAN
WET WILLIE
BILLY SHEEHAN of DAVID LEE ROTH/MR. BIG
VIVIAN CAMPBELL of WHITESNAKE/DEF LEPPARD/DIO
RICK EMMETT of TRIUMPH
MIKE PINERA of BLUES IMAGE/CACTUS
CONFEDERATE RAILROAD
TOMMY TAYLOR & KYLE BROCK of ERIC JOHNSON
MIKE GALLAHER of JOE COCKER BAND
TOY CALDWELL of MARSHALL TUCKER
DEREK ST. HOLMES of TED NUGENT
BUCK DHARMA of BLUE OYSTER CULT
PAUL GODDARD of ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION
VASSAR CLEMENTS
MOTHER'S FINEST
JUPITER COYOTE
BLUES FROM MARS
TOMAS RAMIREZ
THE X MISS AMERICAS
D. M. C. B.
CHAMBERS BROTHERS
ORLEANS
GLASS HARP
GROOVELAND
SPENCER DAVIS
FRANK MARINO of MAHOGANY RUSH
DAN TOLER
CLARENCE CARTER
AL KOOPER
PEABO BRYSON
CHARLIE DANIELS BAND
JEFF CARLISI of 38 SPECIAL
CHRIS HICKS
VAN WILKS
TINSLEY ELLIS...

but you know, by all means, talk your shite. It's not like it's a picture of me. :)

That's a beautiful finish on that guitar, dbltrbl, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

After 6 months of every imaginable thing possible getting in the way of finishing this project, at long last I have it done!
We have a Musiclander body with a Quilted Maple top on Alder, finished with an amber & yellow dye job and my "rootbeer" dye on the back. Wilkinson trem with SSH set of BK Irish Tours in neck & middle, with a BK Nailbomb at the bridge. The neck is a right hand reverse CBS done in all Indian Rosewood, 1-5/8" white Earvana nut, Clapton contour, with SS6150 frets.
FrontClose_zps85515e5b.jpg

Front_zpsff428efe-1.jpg

Back_zps91145827-1.jpg

The person that first said that no good deed goes unpunished definitely had this build in mind. Just between various things coming up in my own life and various issues with the build, it has really been a trial to get this off my work bench. :doh:

But for all the trouble, I think it turned out pretty good.  :icon_biggrin: The sound is everything I expected, and I am surprisingly happy with my first rosewood/rosewood neck. After putting it through about half of a "Cagey Polish" the neck is smooth and slick, not waxy feeling at all. We'll have to see what it's like after it's been played a while.

Anyway, I hope my friend likes it. I'm setting up an appointment to deliver it later this month. :guitarplayer2:

Ddbltrbl said:
Shifting this over from the Just Out of the Box thread.
Finally got a chance to slap some dye on the body. I started with a light wash of a watered down Amber to hopefully "pop" the grain patterns. Then I gave it a heavy "Lemon Yellow" followed by a mixed coat of half Lemon and half Amber. Here's what it looked like:
DSC_0022-2_zps9956f5ce.jpg

Since the neck is all Rosewood I wanted to dye the back a brown that matched as closely as possible. I used a mix of Tobacco Brown and Mahogany Red and got this:
DSC_0024_zpsa02159ce.jpg

And then I gave it all the first shot of clear:
DSC_0029a_zpsba18397e.jpg

So far, so good!  :guitarplayer2:

Killer ! :glasses9:

Ddbltrbl said:
After 6 months of every imaginable thing possible getting in the way of finishing this project, at long last I have it done!
We have a Musiclander body with a Quilted Maple top on Alder, finished with an amber & yellow dye job and my "rootbeer" dye on the back. Wilkinson trem with SSH set of BK Irish Tours in neck & middle, with a BK Nailbomb at the bridge. The neck is a right hand reverse CBS done in all Indian Rosewood, 1-5/8" white Earvana nut, Clapton contour, with SS6150 frets.
FrontClose_zps85515e5b.jpg

Front_zpsff428efe-1.jpg

Back_zps91145827-1.jpg

The person that first said that no good deed goes unpunished definitely had this build in mind. Just between various things coming up in my own life and various issues with the build, it has really been a trial to get this off my work bench. :doh:

But for all the trouble, I think it turned out pretty good.  :icon_biggrin: The sound is everything I expected, and I am surprisingly happy with my first rosewood/rosewood neck. After putting it through about half of a "Cagey Polish" the neck is smooth and slick, not waxy feeling at all. We'll have to see what it's like after it's been played a while.

Anyway, I hope my friend likes it. I'm setting up an appointment to deliver it later this month. :guitarplayer2:

Awesome axe ! Nicely done  :headbang:

Thanks all! Glad you liked it! A lot of sweat went into it and I cursed it several times, but now I've got it done it is really starting to grow on me! The kid I built it for will see it for the first time tomorrow evening!
:guitarplayer2:

Well, I delivered the axe to my young friend and he seemed to be pretty happy with it.  :laughing7:
The best complement I got is that he tried very hard to write me and Email in English afterwards. His English is not great, so I am sure it took a lot of work for him to write it, but it really made my day, week, month... Here's an excerpt:

<SOM>
Thank you so very much again, for brought the YY-Strat on last Thursday.
Tonight, I brought it on the sessions to play and try to check more seriously.

The YY-Strat is amazing, and realy owesome guitar!
It's realy Special-One! The feeling of playability is very good!

Tention of strings, fret , neck shape and feeling of touch, all is great and able to play easy and smooth.

And sound is,,, It's a one of killer sound, and I have never played like this.

It realy sounds like almost one of the Great-Stratocaster.

But it sounds more range fully, and touch response of speeds are so much faster, so it's more warmer and hotter than the normaly ST.

So, sounds so fast and so straight from the guitar to speaker, nothing is wasting or lost.

And, it is the only one looks like this!

There is no need to more modify or more adjustment for it. All specifications of it are parfect!!

And, I think, I'll never need or want to get the other Fender-Style-Guitar.

Thank you!
<EOM>

I'm walking on air! I am so glad he likes it that much and really hope it will inspire him to greater heights in his playing! He is super talented and well deserving of any help he can get!  :eek:ccasion14:

Ddbltrbl said:
Well, I delivered the axe to my young friend and he seemed to be pretty happy with it.  :laughing7:
The best complement I got is that he tried very hard to write me and Email in English afterwards. His English is not great, so I am sure it took a lot of work for him to write it, but it really made my day, week, month... Here's an excerpt:

<SOM>
Thank you so very much again, for brought the YY-Strat on last Thursday.
Tonight, I brought it on the sessions to play and try to check more seriously.

The YY-Strat is amazing, and realy owesome guitar!
It's realy Special-One! The feeling of playability is very good!

Tention of strings, fret , neck shape and feeling of touch, all is great and able to play easy and smooth.

And sound is,,, It's a one of killer sound, and I have never played like this.

It realy sounds like almost one of the Great-Stratocaster.

But it sounds more range fully, and touch response of speeds are so much faster, so it's more warmer and hotter than the normaly ST.

So, sounds so fast and so straight from the guitar to speaker, nothing is wasting or lost.

And, it is the only one looks like this!

There is no need to more modify or more adjustment for it. All specifications of it are parfect!!

And, I think, I'll never need or want to get the other Fender-Style-Guitar.

Thank you!
<EOM>

I'm walking on air! I am so glad he likes it that much and really hope it will inspire him to greater heights in his playing! He is super talented and well deserving of any help he can get!  :eek:ccasion14:

That's SO awesome!
:icon_thumright:

Nice!!! I gave a friends son one of my favorite guitars last year. I hardly played it anymore and I knew it was going to a good home and a great kid. I kinda felt like Mr. Myagi after seeing his jaw hit the floor. He was absolutely speechless! Paying it forward always feels sooooo good!

Back