WOW!!

Tonar8352

I received this from Warmoth today to finish for Kostas. I had no idea what was coming out of the box but this is definitely one to get weak in the knees over. This may wind up being one of the prettiest necks is all of Greece!  :eek: :eek: :eek:
IMG_9381_zps3872fa17.jpg

IMG_9377_zps63087199.jpg

Whoa.  Now that is some sexy lumber.  Is that a boatneck?  Looks chunky from here.

Wow! That is one helluva piece! You don't see necks like that every day.

Awesome figure on both sides! I thought it was a boatneck too, but according to the heel it's a 59 roundback.

Are you going to finish the back with your usual polishing/BLO method?

croquet hoop said:
Awesome figure on both sides! I thought it was a boatneck too, but according to the heel it's a 59 roundback.

Silly me - of course it is.  So yes, it is chunky, but not THAT chunky.

That neck is one heck of a  :glasses9: looker!  With your oiled finish, she is guaranteed to play like butta'

:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Is that Bacote?  Amazing

The fretboard is Macassar Ebony that is off the charts beautiful. Kostas may have to play air guitar with this one because it is almost to pretty to put strings over.  :laughing7:

The back is 3A flame but I think Warmoth was generous with it's grading and it leans more toward 4A, and I love the black Ebony Skunk Stripe.

I'm still waiting for confirmation from Kostas on which finish he has decided on but I think it is going to get gloss nitrocellulose.

It's not a Pro construction, it's a tele headstock, it's got a flat radius, but I'll be damned if it's not pretty.

To think that once that ebony would've likely been dyed black... because ebony is black

swarfrat said:
To think that once that ebony would've likely been dyed black... because ebony is black

Maybe - but it is two different species.

Ebony is Diospyros melanoxylon and Macassar Ebony is Diospyros macassar.

Macassar ebony has tended to be used in furniture without being dyed black. Apart from that there has been a demand for black ebony.

Is all other ebony black,  no... All ebony though is valuable...

See what Bob Taylor, has to say and show you.

http://youtu.be/anCGvfsBoFY

I suspect it's the same clip I saw before, can't watch it now. But Bob decided to change things. Previously, if they cut down an ebony tree and it wasn't black, they just left it laying there - until very very recently, there just hasn't been much appreciation for ebony that's not black, particularly in the world of musical instruments.

Right. That's why Taylor decided to buy into the whole thing. Such waste was inexcusable. Those trees take forever to grow, so just laying them to waste was a serious crime against nature. There's little difference in feel between streaky Ebony and black Ebony, so if you have to, dye it. No reason to waste it just because it's not "pure" black. Beside that, as we've seen, there's a lot to be said for the streaky stuff. Some of it is incredibly attractive.

Cagey said:
Right. That's why Taylor decided to buy into the whole thing. Such waste was inexcusable. Those trees take forever to grow, so just laying them to waste was a serious crime against nature. There's little difference in feel between streaky Ebony and black Ebony, so if you have to, dye it. No reason to waste it just because it's not "pure" black. Beside that, as we've seen, there's a lot to be said for the streaky stuff. Some of it is incredibly attractive.

I have a penchant for all black ebony fretboards if I choose to go ebony. But I can appreciate Bob Taylor's views on the above video. Dying a streaked ebony board is not a crime. Wasting it to rot is.

Back