Wouldnt you just rather see Yngwie Malmsteen Sweep-pick?

AprioriMark said:
dbw said:
It's not his speed or technique... those are flawless.  His tone is normal 80's metal fare.  It's his boring-ass music that I don't like.  I would love it if Yngwie were my guitar teacher, but I don't want to listen to his crappy albums.  :p

^^Quoted for undeniable truth. 

-Mark

+1

thumb55 said:
if I (or any of you) could play like that you'd do it all the time.
Yes I would.  But, as talented as those guys are, they're absolutely capable of expanding their musical horizons.  Heck, even we mere mortals can.  :dontknow:

There's no doubt he's a phenomenal talent, he's just not my style.  He, and a lot of the others, just seem to be speed for speed's sake.  That's what you call a novelty and novelty wears off really quick.

thumb55 said:

that's the problem - guys get to that kind of level and they forget how to hold back a little.

btw - I can do some fast legato stuff, but I don't do it all the time because I get bored of it if I do all the time. On my latest recording I don't play anything that fast or flashy (I went more for slow and sloppy :laughing7:) because I feel like I've done that already. But I guess if you're Yngwie it's expected that you have to shred.

I can listen to yngwie for about one song, he's very impressive, I wish I could play like that a little, but like others have said, it's speed for speed's sake, gets boring quick

I can listen to Gilmour and others all day long, Heck I can listen to angus young all day, and he plays the same 3 chords over and over

thumb55 said:

I honestly don't want to start a style war, but no.  No I would not play like that all the time.  I don't feel any passion in his playing.  I'm not saying there isn't any, I just don't feel it.  I also prefer redheads over blondes.  Just sayin.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
thumb55 said:

I honestly don't want to start a style war, but no.  No I would not play like that all the time.  I don't feel any passion in his playing.  I'm not saying there isn't any, I just don't feel it.  I also prefer redheads over blondes.  Just sayin.

-Mark

once again, he is not my #1 favorite guitarist, but to me it seems like he is playing as if his life depends on it!

I think in his contract, he's actually paid by the note.
LOL

I can take him in small doses, it is impressive technique.
But I totally agree that it can get boring really fast.

The repetition is off-putting, and not just with the solos; the chord changes, etc. leave me reaching for a new CD in around 3 minutes.

The only one of these guys I can listen to for more than a few minutes is Paul Gilbert. He'll put a 128th-note extrava-gonzo in the middle of a short, well-crafted, catchy pop song. I'd listen to those songs without the solos; can you say the same of many (any) other shredders? I've watched the Yngwie Live in Brazil DVD. Most concerts are songs occasionally interrupted by solos (drum, bass, guitar). The Yngwie concert is one long guitar solo occasionally interrupted by songs. Yawn.

The other thing I like about Paul Gilbert is that he doesn't take himself anywhere near as seriously, either in his music, his playing, or his teaching. I met Yngwie when he was in Alcatrazz, opening for Ted Nugent, and he acted like his sh*t didn't stink. He literally looked down his nose at me before shaking my hand. What a tool. Conversely, I met Paul Gilbert on Mr. Big's first tour, and he was the exact opposite.

One last thing: I've watched Yngwie's 'instructional' videos, and he is a lousy teacher in general, and an educational failure compared to PG. If I had paid $ for those videos, I'd return them. I've bought all the PG videos because they're useful, entertaining, and you can actually learn things.

He's not my #1 favorite player at all, but it is impressive.  Once you get to that level of fame (and what he is famous for) it's expected.  It's almost like "chicks dig the long ball" to barrow a baseball term.  He is almost a parody of himself anymore, but hey! he's making music, and has made a career out if it.

I don't want style war, that's not what it's about.  Anytime I see someone play like that I think of how much time they have put into their instrument, I don't care if they are playing a guitar, drums, or a banjo.

I don't listen to much Yngwie. (Vai, Gilbert, Eric Jonson...I'm a little more guilty of)  

p.s. I have a drummer freind that calls him "Inggie Beanstain"

Watershed said:
But I totally agree that it can get boring really fast.

this is what I hear a lot, too much of the same thing.
but its true, its a matter of taste..
I get bored really easily with most blues. and admit it, blues is really limited and a lot of the same licks.

(I do enjoy some blues every now and then, just like I enjoy some yngwie every now and then)

dbw said:
It's not his speed or technique... those are flawless.  His tone is normal 80's metal fare.  It's his boring-ass music that I don't like.  I would love it if Yngwie were my guitar teacher, but I don't want to listen to his crappy albums.  :p

This. His guitar playing is fantastic, but his music is terrible.

dbw said:
His tone is normal 80's metal fare. 

I disagree with that. He's always had that single coil kind of tone, and most 80's metal is humbuckers (JB's).

thumb55 said:

No chance. Somewhere around 1992 it dawned on me that most of the guitar playing I actually liked listening to had nothing to do with arpeggios, string-skipping, harmonic minor scales or any of that. Meanwhile guys like Scott Ian, Jim Martin, that guy from Tool, Kurt Cobain, PJ Harvey (etc.), who never amazed anyone with their technique, always just had a knack for playing the right thing at the right time.

Back