Mick Taylor blade pickups Strat

DuckBaloo said:
stratamania said:
@DuckBaloo, an interesting find. I guess if Becky was sent an email she may know something. 

I believe also Joe Barden, had an early connection with Bill Lawrence.

The story is that Joe worked for Bill and took one of Bill's ideas/prototypes (with Bill's permission), refined it, and turned it into the famous Joe Barden rails PU. Bill eventually came out with his own versions. That's what I heard, but I can't promise any of that it true (the internet and all). ASAIK, Joe is out of the business, Joe Barden Pickups closed shop in the early '00s, then sold the IP to what is now JBE. Ironically, both Bill and Joe's names became trademarks owned by others.

That is close to what I have heard but I can not corroborate the Joe Barden/Bill Lawrence part. Though the JBE part is well known.

DuckBaloo said:
stratamania said:
DuckBaloo said:

Now we are all in suspense  :icon_scratch:

I thought that might pique some interest.

70’s Bill Lawrence Prototype Strat Ceramic Split Rail Single Coil Pickup Set

Sure looks like the right thing. Best news here I'd say, making a faithful copy of those looks downright simple.

That said, what I could gather about Lawrence in those days is maybe he was making guitars with active electrics?

I am not aware of Bill Lawrence having any pickups except passive. There is a common element being ceramic magnets but ceramics are used in passive pickups in addition to actives.

stratamania said:
I am not aware of Bill Lawrence having any pickups except passive. There is a common element being ceramic magnets but ceramics are used in passive pickups in addition to actives.

You're probably right. I swear I'd seen a page when I first searched for BL blade pickups, can't find it again and it's not important anyway :).

Back