Would you choose solid rosewood or roasted maple for a neck?

how do fillings affect mouth playin' ?? more harmonics? brighter sound?

Good point, but it depends on what types of fillings you have, metal will be different from white or gold fillings.

@Spud would be able to help with that more than me, as he seems to be experienced with facial guitar moves.

Take it a little further. None are so deaf as those who rub their skid marked underwear all over their face. But I guess you must like the smell. Must make up for not being able to hear.
So much for "being kind". AS IF your 74 year-old ears hear so much better than everyone else's. No wonder the folks at the PRS forum and Gear Page call you a "know-it-all".

So much for "being kind". AS IF your 74 year-old ears hear so much better than everyone else's. No wonder the folks at the PRS forum and Gear Page call you a "know-it-all".
i enjoy dunking on people who think they are better than everyone else as much as the next guy (especially when they be pretty objectively wrong), but a quick google of this person's handle revealed to me they may be dealing with the more final stages of cancer so i am willing to let bygones be bygones and blaze a fat one in their honor. i can state definitively that they are not having a baja blast right now

After 6 builds this is my opinion. Unless you are going for a Gibson like mahogany build, I would ONLY buy a roasted maple neck. They are like steel.

I am of the firm belief that the neck, including the fingerboard, and fret wire, and even the nut have the first influence on the tone, and then can get balanced with body tone wood, then further gain stages and shaped by pickups, in that order. Either of these can be subjective in extreme or minimal amounts.

I think pairing a brighter neck combo to a warmer body wood combo gets the most sustain and balanced tonality, acoustically. From there, pickups can complement, or obliterate those subjective details significantly.

I did a shop build years ago with an all rosewood short scale neck onto a black limba VIP body with a SD Pearly Gates in the neck, and the then recently released Alnico 8 humbucker, I forget the model. All together, a reasonably nice looking and playing build, but this combination of components lacked any upper mid range or treble clarity. Even my Buckskin Tele with the basswood body is noticeably more snappy having the all roasted maple short scale neck on it compared to the prior baritone neck made of rock maple with a rosewood fingerboard, and that’s just playing unplugged.

Anyone

Thanks!

I'm going to go for it.

I would like to try getting this look but with a solid rosewood neck.
Anyone certain of how to finish the body to achieve that look? Twenty coats of Tru Oil?

I'd like to avoid toxic finishes. No Nitro this time.

I'll buy a solid rosewood Strat neck and a roasted swamp ash body from the same vender I used before.

Now would seem the time. Everything's on sale.

I'll use the Fender American Standard Tremolo I like so much, Fender locking tuners and either Chubtone or Duncan Antiquity Surf pickups.

OP, I've gotten 3 roasted maple necks from W. All have been fantastic. Comparing it to all rosewood neck, which I do not have, I'd guess rosewood is heavier and may affect neck dive. I'd also guess, tone will be not as trebly as a maple neck

@Lewguitar - To answer you question on the look your after.

If it were I....

I'd sand the unfinished body
Give it a light coat of sealer
Apply black dye (since you sealed the "flats" of the wood, the black dye will get into the grain areas and really make the grain pop)
Sand off sealer
Mix up some flavor of brown dye and hit the whole body to get to the body color you want
Add sealer, but not filler (from the pic shown you provided, the grain is not filled)

This will get you to the point of applying Tru Oil (or similar).

I've done 3 guitars with a Tru Oil finish. My method was as follows....

Get a bag of rags from Lowes/HD
Cut to swatches that you can use as an applicator for the Tru Oil
Make sure to violently shake out the rags after being cut, as they provide some lint after being cut
Apply up to 3 coats a day. I'd highly suggest not doing more than 3 coats as it starts to gum up and what not
When you've gotten the finish to a layering you like (I've done up to 30 coats or so), if you want a great gloss finish, on the last coat, mix the Tru Oil with half Naptha or Mineral Spirits and apply.
For the final touch, I hit the body with swirl remover ( I use Meguirre's car swirl remover), and then wax and buff

Back